Anthony Gelling

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Dobby

Re: Anthony Gelling

Post by Dobby »

exile in Tiger country wrote:
highland convert wrote:We seem to go round in a circle with this lad. He is not yet first team material. Plays in the under 20's. Work in progress. Give the lad time. Massive potential but just not yet on the radar,
Seems to be a strange use of a quota spot.
Surely if he was good enough to play in the NRL he is good enough for Superleague?
He wasnt good enough though, he has never played a NRL game.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Dobby wrote: He wasnt good enough though, he has never played a NRL game.
Maybe that's the plan? A 6'5" beast. Waiting in the wings just to keep everyone on their toes?
bill.inger

Post by bill.inger »

I suspect he's been stuck in the disciplinary dog-house by Shaun Wain for failing to attend training. When he lets him loose, we'll see then if he's up to playing for Wigan.
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

I believe he was brought over as"one for the future",forgive me if i'm wrong but isnt chicken george leaving at the end of this season? stop slagging the boy off and be patient.
the winky one

Post by the winky one »

platt-warrior wrote:I believe he was brought over as"one for the future",forgive me if i'm wrong but isnt chicken george leaving at the end of this season? stop slagging the boy off and be patient.

I'm not slagging him off....just wondered what had happened to him???
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

platt-warrior wrote:I believe he was brought over as"one for the future",forgive me if i'm wrong but isnt chicken george leaving at the end of this season? stop slagging the boy off and be patient.
:eusa2:
the winky one wrote: I'm not slagging him off....just wondered what had happened to him???
Nothing has happened to him, he is playing in the U20's from which he will learn how to play for Wigan. That was the intention in the first place.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

The post was'nt aimed at you Winky but to those who dont appear to see the bigger picture.We all knew Gelling had'nt played NRL football but the powers that be could see he has promise so let's let nature take it's course.
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

George Carmont was not on the tip of everyone's tongue when Wigan signed him.Infact I do remember a few of my mates saying at the time who's George Carmont.Well we all know who George Carmont is now.And I suspect with the right coaching Anthony Gelling could quite easily be a name that just trips of your lips.From the friendlies he played in people said he had a safe pair of hands and wa a good passer of the ball just lacked in his defensive qualities.Well that being the case would we wish to see a player that is not up to par in defence.Because lets remember how people started to ask the question was Shaun Wane up to the job as head coach because we lost the first game.So can you not imagine the comments regarding Gelling should he screw up in his first few games.He is a player of the future.I would sooner wait to see a player firing on all cylinders than a player who stutters every game.Be patient Shaun Wane knows what he his doing. :D
Dobby

Post by Dobby »

platt-warrior wrote:The post was'nt aimed at you Winky but to those who dont appear to see the bigger picture.We all knew Gelling had'nt played NRL football but the powers that be could see he has promise so let's let nature take it's course.
Well if you read the entire thread it is quite obvious that not everyone knew he hadnt played in the NRL because some people thought he had. I also havent read a post on this thread where Gelling has been slagged off or indeed where anyone that fails to see the bigger picture.

Even when the signing of Gelling was first muted, and when nearly everyone on these boards had him as being a shoe in as our starting centre and were making him out to be some sort of superstar, I said that he was no where near ready and that he wouldnt be our centre at the start of the season. It was quite obvious from reading from those that had seen him that he lacked many of the skills to play centre and that he would be very raw. Indeed I have not seen anything from him that makes me think any differently as he still looks a long way off being ready. He is still young and will improve but now he is settled the club should be looking to send him on loan for the rest of the season to further improve as there is only so much he can learn in the u21s. I actually wouldnt be surprised if he, as well as one or two others, get their debuts against Widnes in a couple of weeks with some of our established first teamers rested.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Saw Gelling in the kids bar before the Hudds game and he looked small compared to Stuart Fielding who is supposedly 6'2". Gelling didnt appear to be 2" taller and nowhere near as bulked up as Stu.
As Waney has indicated, probably more of a future project.