Team Selection

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
devon jim 1

Re: Team Selection

Post by devon jim 1 »

Kittwazzer wrote:By giving the likes of Hampshire, Williams, Burgess and Manfredi a game, I would argue that his best players are not necessarily being rested. I think you will go home on Sunday feeling you have had value for money!

I agree with what you say Kitt. However,in principle I believe Whelley W to be correct. I'm a traditionlist of the old school when every game was a must win game if you wanted to win the Championship,hence the need to field your strongest side.If you didn't the integrity of the competition was compromised. Now it doesn't matter you only need to make the play offs for a chance to win the '(Fools Gold' ring.Nothing I can do except 'like it or lump it :angry:
TonyH

Post by TonyH »

It's one game, it's straight after the WCC, players involved in that will have had a massive come down after the build up.

Physically they might be fresh but mentally and psychologically the come down from playing in Sydney as opposed to playing back in the SL against Wakefield will be massive.

No problem at all with Shaun Wane doing this, after last years exploits I will back everything he does.
Up The Mont!
markill

Post by markill »

No point having a big squad of you are never going to use it. Fringe players who never get a taste of top level play will not be good enough to come into a big game if injury men's they have to. I'm never a fan of wholesale changes but in this instance, setting how much of the team have been affected by jet lag on twitter I would say it's sensible. It's only march and It's only or second game. As long as they put something enjoyable and competitive on the pitch I'm fine with it. Some of our back ups totally outplayed NZ warriors back ups so I'm sure they will be competitive
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

As stated earlier, the fault IMO lies with having a top eight play off from only fourteen clubs and a situation where the Super League does not have the same intensity of the NRL because some of the clubs are weak and in a poor financial position which gives the better clubs more opportunity to field fringe players.

Football is doing the same with the FA and Capitol One cup competitions, but look at the empty seats. In our game, the better clubs like Wigan can get away with it more because they have large squads and the bulk of supporters have already paid in advance with a season ticket and committed to attend irrespective of team selection, be it better or worse.

I have supported the club for many years and where a club tended to always field his best team except for injuries and suspensions.

Finally, great to see that we can have a good debate with different opinions instead of the usual and continual moaning and swiping at anything to do with our great club by a same small minority who at times make me wonder if they are indeed Wigan supporters and not 'Trojan Horses' of other club's.

Keep the faith.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

i was actually thinking of this again last night and although I do understand the resting of the WCC players as I said in a previous post I think we saw a worrying trend of "resting" started last year and im hoping it doesn't spill out further.

However I think looking back what wrangled most fans last year was naming strong squads on a regular basis only to find when at the ground the "star" names were rested and that happened a few weeks on the bounce.

I agree with what everyones said really but I think its important to separate that there are 2 issues within this debate;

1) whether its right or not to rest players for the team.
2) whether its right or not to rest players for the sport.

I think the answer to the first is unanimous especially for us with our depth but the answer to the second is open to debate more.

IMO we need to do more to re instate the value of the league fixtures, for the good of the game. I think relegation could do this to a certain extent and certainly will make the lower end teams make sure they are trying hard in every game, but at the sharp end there for me has to be a greater reward for the top spot.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
doc

Post by doc »

According to Radio Manchester tonight no Goulding or Sarginson and Dudson to have a fitness test on his knee.
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

mickw wrote:Well I've got a season ticket and I want to see Hampshire Williams and manfredi bring it on,these three should be putting serious pressure on the perceived first choice players and I'll be disappointed if they don't play.
well said
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

mickw wrote:Well I've got a season ticket and I want to see Hampshire Williams and manfredi bring it on,these three should be putting serious pressure on the perceived first choice players and I'll be disappointed if they don't play.
New kids on the block like the Referee.
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Must admit I was a bit miffed last season at Wane keep resting players.But he has my full support now regarding his team selection in fact quite looking forward to Sunday to see the what the kids have in store for us.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Seven players 'rested' from the team that play the Roosters.

I sometimes wonder how some of the players of today would have managed in the days when teams sometimes played two games a week, the players were part time and some even played after doing a shift down a pit and the game was far rougher and tackling was harder than it is today.

Just a observation of someone who has supported the game over many years and seen so many changes in rules and styles of play but has got to admit most of the change has been for the better.