Team Selection

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Owd Codger

Team Selection

Post by Owd Codger »

Wane has indicated that he intends to rest many of the best players for the game on Sunday against Wakefield.

In view of the amount of money spent on season tickets, replica shirts and other thngs in a time of recession, is it fair to do this and would he do it if the play offs at the end of the season only consisted of the top five like it use to be.

On the other hand should a Coach play the strongest team selection available and if not, should the RFL incurred financial penalties for fielding weaken teams.

In case, when I go to watch Wigan, I expect to see the strongest team possible barring genuine injuries or suspensions.

p.s. See, I don't always agree with everything the club does
Kittwazzer

Re: Team Selection

Post by Kittwazzer »

By giving the likes of Hampshire, Williams, Burgess and Manfredi a game, I would argue that his best players are not necessarily being rested. I think you will go home on Sunday feeling you have had value for money!
x Wigan Warrior x

Post by x Wigan Warrior x »

shall we dig up the posts from the multiple similar threads from last season ? :conf:

SW is the coach and he picks the team, end of. we have no say even if we do pay thousands each year on ST's, shirts & confectionery at the ground ...... i guess if you want to change this then the best way would be to get your badges, be a coach and work your way up the ladder ........
we don't stop playing because we grow old ....... we grow old because we stop playing
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

By strategically resting players last season helped bring two major trophies back to wigan. I fully enjoyed both finals and would love wigan to be in the same position again even if it meant resting players to achieve this.
It was a hard hit up against the Roosters with players maybe carrying knocks on top of jet lag. Maybe this is a good opportunity to rest players and bring in youngsters like Hampshire and Manfredi who are already knocking on the door of the first team.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

I will take a double at the end of a season over playing the strongest available team every week anytime thanks.
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I think the point WW was trying to make is not whether its the correct thing to do from a team point of view, but as supporters pay their money for season tickets for the weekly rounds, coaches (a trend started last year and seems to be carrying on) are treating these rounds more and more as warm up games for the main comps which is challenge cups and play offs

This all goes back to the strength of the league argument and the ease of qualifying for the playoffs. If it continues are folk going to keep shelling out £££ for watching the youth grade "trialled" for the bulk of the season?
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
x Wigan Warrior x

Post by x Wigan Warrior x »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:I think the point WW was trying to make is not whether its the correct thing to do from a team point of view, but as supporters pay their money for season tickets for the weekly rounds, coaches (a trend started last year and seems to be carrying on) are treating these rounds more and more as warm up games for the main comps which is challenge cups and play offs

This all goes back to the strength of the league argument and the ease of qualifying for the playoffs. If it continues are folk going to keep shelling out £££ for watching the youth grade "trialled" for the bulk of the season?
you bet they will, as they/we go to watch Wigan RFLC. As long as the end result is finals and close matches. Once that end result changes to no final appearances and continual loses, That is IMO is when the question should be raised.
we don't stop playing because we grow old ....... we grow old because we stop playing
wiggydoran

Post by wiggydoran »

Some of the best matches (entertainment wise)in last years weekly rounds were when wane put out the young players.

Hull FC at home (week after cup final)
Widnes away

Both were tight and competative games. Yes we all want our team to win but for me i get more joy out of a 37-36 win then a 82-0 win.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

wiggydoran wrote:Some of the best matches (entertainment wise)in last years weekly rounds were when wane put out the young players.

Widnes away

Both were tight and competative games. Yes we all want our team to win but for me i get more joy out of a 37-36 win then a 82-0 win.
But here-in lies the issue are we saying that basically wigan et al at the top can afford to and almost are required to field half a team to keep games against other competitive?

that's an awful indication of how poor the superleague has become IMO.

I think its all well and good for the core supporters like us to say yes of course we will come no matter what team is out there, but what about the casual/potential new supporters.

Put it this way when I pay money to see a band I pay to see the band, would I feel ripped off if I get there and their are equally good musician roadies are playing their songs, yes, I would.

Its shaun Wanes choice what team to put out and this year I think I would have some sympathy with resting the WCC due to the Aus flight, but this started last year resting players in early rounds and I didn't like it then. My worry is it catches on and becomes the norm and ALL the teams start it. some of the games last year were complete none events due to teams of youngsters being put out.

We the fans pay our money to see the best teams going at it week in week out. The superleague season has become a bit of a joke and seems to be taken lighter and lighter each year.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:
wiggydoran wrote:Some of the best matches (entertainment wise)in last years weekly rounds were when wane put out the young players.

Widnes away

But here-in lies the issue are we saying that basically wigan et al at the top can afford to and almost are required to field half a team to keep games against other competitive?

that's an awful indication of how poor the superleague has become IMO.

I think its all well and good for the core supporters like us to say yes of course we will come no matter what team is out there, but what about the casual/potential new supporters.

Put it this way when I pay money to see a band I pay to see the band, would I feel ripped off if I get there and their are equally good musician roadies are playing their songs, yes, I would.

Its shaun Wanes choice what team to put out and this year I think I would have some sympathy with resting the WCC due to the Aus flight, but this started last year resting players in early rounds and I didn't like it then. My worry is it catches on and becomes the norm and ALL the teams start it. some of the games last year were complete none events due to teams of youngsters being put out.

We the fans pay our money to see the best teams going at it week in week out. The superleague season has become a bit of a joke and seems to be taken lighter and lighter each year.
Wasnt it Phil Gould who said much the same thing after the WCC, that NRL games are all of a high intensity whereas top SL Clubs will only get 4-5 such games per season?

I can't accept your rock band analogy, The Rolling Stones have a strict line up, not a squad and if Jagger's voice goes, the gig won't go ahead. But in wanting to get your full money's worth, are you really happy to sit and watch London thrashed by 80?