Goalkicking Problems

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
sheepsteeth

Re: Goalkicking Problems

Post by sheepsteeth »

where we supposed to just sign someone who can kick goals? if so who should we have bought and who should we drop to fit them in?

we haven't lost a game yet because of goal kicking when we start to we should worry then. It may just take Matty some time and he'll come good.
John Ferguson

Post by John Ferguson »

Needs addressing, could really cost us in the big games.
East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

Somebody has just posted a rumour on RLfans that we may bring Jamie foster :eusa4: :o
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

East Stand Faithful wrote:Somebody has just posted a rumour on RLfans that we may bring Jamie foster :eusa4: :o
Classic example. Great kicker but not good enough as a player, nowhere near the talent we have in the backs!
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I think its a massive issue but one that doesn't need a knee jerk reaction.

We have on staff Paul Deacon one of the most successful goal kickers of the Superleague era.

For me this should be the primary concern before the cup starts. The staff should work with the players and find out who has the most natural ability and get them training extra.

Pat put plenty of extra hours in, and whoever replaces him long term needs to do the same.

League matches can be lost - its a pain but lets face it, means little and we will win more than we lose. Cup/Playoff are were your kicker is imperative, and we need this sorting by then!
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

Kittwazzer wrote:
East Stand Faithful wrote:Somebody has just posted a rumour on RLfans that we may bring Jamie foster :eusa4: :o
Classic example. Great kicker but not good enough as a player, nowhere near the talent we have in the backs!
Yes I agree. Maybe we like his hairdos :lol:
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Kittwazzer wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
East Stand Faithful wrote:Agree with your comments but he may improve in the coming months.

Don't forget he was on everton's books in his youth as a footballer but kicking a rugby ball is different to a football.

The club needs to ensure he is given loads of help to improve his kicking but we also have Hampshire who may play more often than not and is an accomplished kicker.
Not unless he changes his technique dramatically.
Who, Smith or Hampshire?
Smith.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
nellywelly

Post by nellywelly »

Kittwazzer wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote: Not unless he changes his technique dramatically.
I don't think Smith will ever make a good goal kicker, he strugles to make the range when kicking from the wings. The ball has lost its power and is dropping well before reaching the goal. Charnley has no problem in reaching the target , his problem is consistancy which with good coaching should improve. Thus of the two Charnley is the better prospect, but like what was said before this should have been resolved in the close season. We do need a good goal kicker now not 6 months down the line. I don't know how good Ryan Hampshire is but if he has potential we should us him and work on him and Charnley as back up , forget Smith unless he gets a bionic leg

Who, Smith or Hampshire?
Smith.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

nellywelly wrote:
Kittwazzer wrote: I don't think Smith will ever make a good goal kicker, he strugles to make the range when kicking from the wings. The ball has lost its power and is dropping well before reaching the goal. Charnley has no problem in reaching the target , his problem is consistancy which with good coaching should improve. Thus of the two Charnley is the better prospect, but like what was said before this should have been resolved in the close season. We do need a good goal kicker now not 6 months down the line. I don't know how good Ryan Hampshire is but if he has potential we should us him and work on him and Charnley as back up , forget Smith unless he gets a bionic leg

Who, Smith or Hampshire?
Smith.

Nelly your post is inside the quote!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

sheepsteeth wrote:where we supposed to just sign someone who can kick goals? if so who should we have bought and who should we drop to fit them in?
No but when it obviously wasn't working with Smith try someone else. In fact they should have been trying several players from the outset.

Had they done so and still no one was up to it then you really do seriously have to look at looking outside the club.

Who specifically? No idea. I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of every professional player and their availability. It's the clubs job to locate one, not mine or any other fans.