Goalkicking Problems

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Hanley the God!

Goalkicking Problems

Post by Hanley the God! »

When Pat Richards arrived at Wigan he was not a recognised goal kicker with his previous Aussie clubs. See stats below :

2000–03 Parramatta Eels 37 14 4 0 64
2004–05 Wests Tigers 39 26 0 0 104
2006–13 Wigan Warriors 224 167 895 4 2462
2014– Wests Tigers 0 0 0 0 0

But he practised and practised some more to become the great goal kicker we know and love today.

I know that Matty Smith is not a natural goal kicker (and will never be a Pat Richards) but some of those efforts today (and so far this season) were woeful and in tighter games against stronger opposition 4 points needs to become 6 points (or even a penalty - 2 points). Poor goal kicking WILL cost us games when it matters most in the BIG games.

Some of the excuses today from the cherry coloured spectacle wearers in the Wigan crowd were equally woeful. Give him a chance, he's doing O.K. he needs time .... blah, blah blah!!

I hope (I really do) that I can be proved wrong and I'll eat a massive slice of humble pie - but Smith (on performance so far this year) is a very very poor replacement kicker.

Now I believe blame also has to lie with the Wigan Club. Firstly they have not recruited a goal kicker replacement (O.K. some may say who, and in what position) - that I can accept to a degree.

BUT, if you or I handed in our notice at work we would be sat along side our replacement during our notice period training and coaching our replacement so they may carry on our work seamlessly - Agreed??

Wigan Warriors knew Pat Richards was leaving half way through the last season. They probably also knew that Matty Smith (or Josh Charnley) would replace him.

Now, surely, work should have taken place behind the scenes to ensure that one of these players was up to the task (we even have a goalkicking coach - Paul Deacon). What does he do??

I would have to ask serious questions about what was being done behind the scenes to ensure that Wigan Warriors had a competent goal kicker tis year and beyond??????

O.K. - disagree with me all you cherry coloured spectacle wearers!!!!!!!
TrueBlueWarrior

Re: Goalkicking Problems

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Your stats at the beginning are irrelevant as for all we know Pat was a class kicker at his previous 2 clubs but there was always someone better. Pat didn't necessarily become a great kicker at Wigan, it's more likely he always was but was just given a chance at Wigan!! Would he have become our kicker if we still had Faz, Frano etc, playing? No, doubt it!!

I agree Smith needs to improve massively but I am not having that Richards became the kicker he is today AT WIGAN, he clearly had a natural ability!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

Agree with your comments but he may improve in the coming months.

Don't forget he was on everton's books in his youth as a footballer but kicking a rugby ball is different to a football.

The club needs to ensure he is given loads of help to improve his kicking but we also have Hampshire who may play more often than not and is an accomplished kicker.
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
Wiz

Post by Wiz »

Simple. Ryan Hampshire!

Well worth his place in the team and the best goal kicker we have at the minute!
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

Wiz wrote:Simple. Ryan Hampshire!

Well worth his place in the team and the best goal kicker we have at the minute!
+1
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

East Stand Faithful wrote:Agree with your comments but he may improve in the coming months.

Don't forget he was on everton's books in his youth as a footballer but kicking a rugby ball is different to a football.

The club needs to ensure he is given loads of help to improve his kicking but we also have Hampshire who may play more often than not and is an accomplished kicker.
Not unless he changes his technique dramatically.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

TBW, Hanley is correct. Pat himself said he had never been a kicker prior to coming here. He saw an opening and taught himself because he knew his general play wasn't impressing enough to guarantee his place so he added a string to his bow. And his first ever drop goal was at Bradford in the memorable playoff game. He went on to record arguably the greatest dropgoal in history at Widnes!
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
East Stand Faithful wrote:Agree with your comments but he may improve in the coming months.

Not unless he changes his technique dramatically.
Who, Smith or Hampshire?
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Kittwazzer wrote:TBW, Hanley is correct. Pat himself said he had never been a kicker prior to coming here. He saw an opening and taught himself because he knew his general play wasn't impressing enough to guarantee his place so he added a string to his bow. And his first ever drop goal was at Bradford in the memorable playoff game. He went on to record arguably the greatest dropgoal in history at Widnes!
Fair enough, I hold my hand up but you can still clearly see that Pat has more of a natural ability to kick a rugby ball than Smith IMO.
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cherry.pie wrote:It certainly could be an issue, but there's not much the club could have done given the lack of quality kickers other than getting current players to practice and that's what the have been doing.
There is plenty the club could do about it IMO. It was an obvious issue that needed addressing once Pat said he was off and it has had a long time to get this sorted.

The coaches can see despite all this practising such a low percentage of kicks are going between the sticks.

I can't believe this has caught them by surprise so they should already have known the plan of getting Smith to kick wasn't working.

Perhaps they think the right place to practice is during the season rather than before it starts. Can't say I agree if so.