Read it before it goes!!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Kittwazzer

Re: Read it before it goes!!

Post by Kittwazzer »

yokozuna wrote:We've been spoilt in the past with some brilliant goal kickers, and only recently we had Pat Richards kicking goals from all over.

Matty isn't bad, he's just not one of the best. Having an exceptional kicker can make the difference in a close game. Who would you rather have lining up a kick at goal with minutes to go, Richards or Smith?
Pointless question so I'll say Frano who is equally unavailable.

Ken Gee or Jim Sullivan for that matter!
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Pointed this out on another thread!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

Kittwazzer wrote:
yokozuna wrote:We've been spoilt in the past with some brilliant goal kickers, and only recently we had Pat Richards kicking goals from all over.

Matty isn't bad, he's just not one of the best. Having an exceptional kicker can make the difference in a close game. Who would you rather have lining up a kick at goal with minutes to go, Richards or Smith?

So you're quite satisfied with Smith as our goal kicker, and don't think it's an area we need to improve on what we currently have?
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
PaulC

Post by PaulC »

Against leeds (Penalty in the last minute) I'd take Smithy!!! :-)

His attacking kicks are becoming a great part of his game though, and that doesn't really show in his stats.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

yokozuna wrote:
Kittwazzer wrote:

So you're quite satisfied with Smith as our goal kicker, and don't think it's an area we need to improve on what we currently have?
Yes. Would you like us to sign and play Jamie Foster ahead of Budgie, Dom or Josh?
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

Kittwazzer wrote:
yokozuna wrote:
Kittwazzer wrote: Pointless question so I'll say Frano who is equally unavailable.

Yes. Would you like us to sign and play Jamie Foster ahead of Budgie, Dom or Josh?
Certainly not. I like Matty Smith, but that doesn't mean I'd not like us to sign another player who is a better and more consistent goal-kicker.

Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

It would be interesting to introduce a measure into the stats to weight the degree of difficulty of kicks. Say 2 points for a successful kick out wide and 1 point for a kick that is in front of the posts.

My wife is always commenting on Mattys kicking ability and she nearly had a fit just now when I told her he was top of the charts!!

What is a bit baffling is,that given Matty is an accomplished soccer player you would think he could be coached to kick goals for fun.
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

He's definitely improved as the season has gone on. I reckon by next year he would be a solid kicker. So less need to replace him now than ever before.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Kittwazzer wrote:
PaulC wrote:Am I right in saying (without checking) he's right up there with the best % wise?
He always has been!
Would like to see his percentage after the Bath visit. Seemed to improve from that moment also how many teams score as many tries in the corners as us.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

yokozuna wrote:
Kittwazzer wrote:
yokozuna wrote: So you're quite satisfied with Smith as our goal kicker, and don't think it's an area we need to improve on what we currently have?
Certainly not. I like Matty Smith, but that doesn't mean I'd not like us to sign another player who is a better and more consistent goal-kicker.
But since 'kicker' is not a position per se, it would involve replacing a current player. So who would you drop assuming a kicker could be found to take his place?