Read it before it goes!!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
PaulC

Read it before it goes!!

Post by PaulC »

Am i reading this right??

http://superleague.co.uk/stats/player_stats

Matty Smith top goal kicker?!

Im happy with that, I love the lad, but surely its a mistake??
yokozuna

Re: Read it before it goes!!

Post by yokozuna »

Shows how many tries we've scored. Looked at the goals missed column. He could/should be clear out in front in terms of goals kicked.
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
PaulC

Post by PaulC »

Am I right in saying (without checking) he's right up there with the best % wise?
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

PaulC wrote:Am I right in saying (without checking) he's right up there with the best % wise?
He always has been!
PaulC

Post by PaulC »

Kittwazzer wrote:
PaulC wrote:Am I right in saying (without checking) he's right up there with the best % wise?
He always has been!
You wouldn't think about it they way people whino on all the time :-)
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

No, he's not. He was level with Sinfield in that table for goals kicked, but he'd missed far more than Sinfield.
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

Smith = 72.3%
Sinfield = 85.4%
Dureau = 81.7%
Gale = 78.7%

Of course, the stats don't show where the kicks were from - and if more were from out wide they're going to be harder to kick. But it's probably pretty safe to assume that the difficulty of the kicks is similar for each of them over the course of a season.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

yokozuna wrote:
No, he's not. He was level with Sinfield in that table for goals kicked, but he'd missed far more than Sinfield.
But Sir Kev is the greatest thing to ever happen to rugby league. The point is that Matty is far better than his critics make out and totally undeserving of all the flak he gets!
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

We've been spoilt in the past with some brilliant goal kickers, and only recently we had Pat Richards kicking goals from all over.

Matty isn't bad, he's just not one of the best. Having an exceptional kicker can make the difference in a close game. Who would you rather have lining up a kick at goal with minutes to go, Richards or Smith?