Investment

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
the grinch

Re: Investment

Post by the grinch »

players also realise that playing for a big club puts them in the shop window if they decide to leave. if sean briscoe had been playing for doncaster i dont think he would now be at hull.
dont let your victories go to your head or your failures go to your heart
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

Do top RL coaches make it much past 50? Doubt it!
If anything I think the coaching career is far shorter than a playing career.Especially if they're a top player.
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

Like Scully playing at Rochdale?????

The cream always rises.

JIMH

Post by JIMH »

i dont think there is anything wrong with the coach getting top money, I remember seeing a documentary on Bobby Robson and he said that when he was in control of Ipswich he was always the best paid at the club, even if a new signing demanded a large wage Sir Bobby would get a raise to keep him top. He did great things at Ipswich with the beleif that the chairman had every faith in him, i think it shows that Wigan believe Millward can turn things round and are prepared to put there money on it..
WE CAN BEAT SAINTS!!!! YOU KNOWS IT!!!!
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

GeoffN posted:
One other factor in the equation is the relative length of careers, though. A player will normally only have about 15 years, and his starting and finishing salaries won't match what he can command at his peak.
Millward, in theory, could have another 25 years coaching ahead of him.
FACT..I know you like these. He is 44 yrs old. You really think he will be coaching at top level at 69? No. thought not.Care to downsize? :lol:
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

jinkin jimmy posted:
GeoffN posted:
One other factor in the equation is the relative length of careers, though. A player will normally only have about 15 years, and his starting and finishing salaries won't match what he can command at his peak.
FACT..I know you like these. He is 44 yrs old. You really think he will be coaching at top level at 69? No. thought not.Care to downsize? :lol:
That's why I said "in theory"...in practice your quite right, of course! :wink: And I didn't say "top level" The "fact", remains, though, despite my exaggeration, coaches have a much longer career than players (if they're good enough...which applies to both groups).
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Doveoverdave posted:
If anything I think the coaching career is far shorter than a playing career.Especially if they're a top player.
Can't be bothered researching them all, but I know Wayne Bennett is 55.
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

GeoffN posted:
Doveoverdave posted:
Yep I'll give you that one. Bennett is considered the wise "old" head of coaching though.
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

Doveoverdave posted:
GeoffN posted:
Doveoverdave posted:
Yep I'll give you that one. Bennett is considered the wise "old" head of coaching though.
Good point. Let's say you have a really long playing career (17 yrs) it will probably be longer than a first team coaches career. If you look at Millie's profile on the Warriors website he started really young but was in a junior role for years. If you ignore Leigh because that wasn't in the top flight his career is 6 yrs old - will he do another 11, making him 55? Mmm, it all seems to balance (Wayne Bennett, etc). :)
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

GeoffN posted:
Messrs West, Hanley, Gregory, Hughes and Goodway would probably disagree. And that us jusr ex-Wigan coaches. I am sure there are plenty of other ex-coacheds from other clubs who have had very short careers. Far more than those who go on for a long time I would guess.

If Millward has success with Wigan he will probably have along career but by long I think about the same length as a top flight player, not 25 years. If he fails he will be trying to nick cab fairs of G West!

How long was John Monies caoching career both here and in the ARL/NRL? That is probably a fair benchmark for a decent coaching career.

Dave