Investment

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Doveoverdave

Investment

Post by Doveoverdave »

I've met and spoken to IM. He was articulate and personable, but no wonder his smile is wider than ever having signed a £600,000 contract.

I do consider this to be a vast contract for a coach.Over a decade ago Newcastle Falcons set the precedent by giving Rob Andrew a massive contract.Subsequent players that signed for the club used his salary as the bench mark and I fear this will happen at Wigan.

When Bradford and Leeds were haggling over the signing of Ellis, the stumbling block was his £100k salary.

Do you think he would play for Wigan knowing he was on HALF the wages of the coach - I doubt it. Do you think Sonny Bill (or player of similar stature) would come for anything less than £300k - £350k knowing of the value of his coaches contract.

The England soccer team were in the position of not being able to afford to release Sven from his contract. Could we be in the same position if Millward fails to produce?

The saving grace could be DW bank rolling the coach (peanuts to him) but the coache's contract will have an inflationary effect on the wages of the top players and may cause problems within the cap.

Just a thought.

DaveO

Re: Investment

Post by DaveO »

Doveoverdave posted:
I've met and spoken to IM. He was articulate and personable, but no wonder his smile is wider than ever having signed a £600,000 contract.

I do consider this to be a vast contract for a coach.Over a decade ago Newcastle Falcons set the precedent by giving Rob Andrew a massive contract.Subsequent players that signed for the club used his salary as the bench mark and I fear this will happen at Wigan.

When Bradford and Leeds were haggling over the signing of Ellis, the stumbling block was his £100k salary.

Do you think he would play for Wigan knowing he was on HALF the wages of the coach - I doubt it. Do you think Sonny Bill (or player of similar stature) would come for anything less than £300k - £350k knowing of the value of his coaches contract.

The England soccer team were in the position of not being able to afford to release Sven from his contract. Could we be in the same position if Millward fails to produce?

The saving grace could be DW bank rolling the coach (peanuts to him) but the coache's contract will have an inflationary effect on the wages of the top players and may cause problems within the cap.

Just a thought.

He was supposed to be on £200K at Saints. Catch him swearing and we can get rid the same way they did!

Why should coaches get less than players? It has always mystified me since they are the ones most likely to lose their jobs if the players fail to perform.

Does Alex Ferguson work for peanuts at Man Utd? I don't suppose he is on £20m a year or whatever silly money they pay to certain players but I bet he earns more than a fair few of them.

IM's salary doesn't count on the salary cap and IMO players are more interested in being paid relative to their peers than the coach. I can remeber tales of Edwards, Hanley and Gregory vieing with each other in the wages stakes.

Players know their is a salary cap and will approach their pay negotiation relative to what they think they are worth as opposed to what they think the coach is paid.

Dave
Dawber

Post by Dawber »

Well said DaveO, And you are correct he is on the same wage as he was at saints,
And by the way Doveoverdave i do think millward will produce the goods.
The Black Pearl

Post by The Black Pearl »

Ian Millward should beable to command that type of salary with his pedigree as a coach. It will be a drop in the ocean if we start winning trophies again.
Pain is temporary pride is forever
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

DaveO poste:
He was supposed to be on £200K at Saints. Catch him swearing and we can get rid the same way they did!
I had no idea he was on anything like this money at Saints. When I read the amount he was to be paid I have to admit I was shocked! If he goes to court and wins his case against Saints he really will be laughing all the way to the bank.
Does Alex Ferguson work for peanuts at Man Utd?
Of course he doesn't. It is however only comparitively recent that he was granted parity with some of his players after years of trophy winning and he is one of the very few managers who are on massive contracts.

IM will be THE highest paid staff member at Wigan on £600 a week more than Faz!!
players are more interested in being paid relative to their peers than the coach
Sort of agree with this. Some players will want what they are WORTH to the club eg; if Faz was still here he would feel he was as as much value to the club as IM and would want paying as such.
Players know their is a salary cap and will approach their pay negotiation relative to what they think they are worth
As I said some may feel they are worth more than the coach!

Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

Dawber posted:
Well said DaveO, And you are correct he is on the same wage as he was at saints,
And by the way Doveoverdave i do think millward will produce the goods.
I agree he is the man for the job as far as winning goes, but it's not what people think that counts!

Maybe his salary was killing Saints finacially and they wanted rid of the salary and not really the coach.

I cannot believe that I am the only one surprised at the siz of this contract. Must be out of touch!

Off to see my gaffer to talk money. :D
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

The Black Pearl posted:
Ian Millward should beable to command that type of salary with his pedigree as a coach. It will be a drop in the ocean if we start winning trophies again.
You're obviously right as he's got it at Wigan!

It is not just his contract that concerns me but the inflationary impact it could have within the club.

I have never been aware of the coach being paid more than the players in any sport.

I have no idea what the salaries of the players are but I'll hazard at a guess that IM is on 3x what Lockers will be on next season.
Just seems ridiculous to me.

And if Lockers thinks it's ridiculous he will want more money.

Inflationary impact!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Doveoverdave posted:
I have no idea what the salaries of the players are but I'll hazard at a guess that IM is on 3x what Lockers will be on next season.

Inflationary impact!
I can see your point but if you think about it sport is probably the only area of employment where the Cheif is normally paid less than the Indians.

Put another way, why should Lockers be surprised his boss gets paid more than him?

Dave
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

DaveO posted:
Doveoverdave posted:

Inflationary impact!
I can see your point but if you think about it sport is probably the only area of employment where the Cheif is normally paid less than the Indians.

Put another way, why should Lockers be surprised his boss gets paid more than him?

Dave
Very true and hard to argue against.

But it's a funny old game :)
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

One other factor in the equation is the relative length of careers, though. A player will normally only have about 15 years, and his starting and finishing salaries won't match what he can command at his peak.
Millward, in theory, could have another 25 years coaching ahead of him.