Charnley to return in a season

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Panchitta Marra

Re: Charnley to return in a season

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Nezza Faz wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote:Solomon a is a left winger and Charnley is more suited as a right winger.
Sale's wing issues sorted with two class wingers and can't see either returning to SL soon unless they're seen as misfits by the rfu.

Both could be massive 'white elephants' PM, going off the amount of good ball they are likely to see in a season, let alone a match for Sale !

So far they lost an home game by 30pts, and an away game by 50pts, and they reckon Josh was the star performer !
The lack of ball to wingers in yawnion is a common issue and quite often you see a knackered fat forward out on the wing taking a rest. Money talks and I don't see this lack of quality ball as a reason for Charnley to return, why pass up an easier job and getting paid two or three times what you were previously on.
That's just my guestimation of the money he may be on, as I'm not privy to his contract details.
SJ

Post by SJ »

Panchitta Marra wrote:
Nezza Faz wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote:Solomon a is a left winger and Charnley is more suited as a right winger.
Sale's wing issues sorted with two class wingers and can't see either returning to SL soon unless they're seen as misfits by the rfu.

Both could be massive 'white elephants' PM, going off the amount of good ball they are likely to see in a season, let alone a match for Sale !

So far they lost an home game by 30pts, and an away game by 50pts, and they reckon Josh was the star performer !
The lack of ball to wingers in yawnion is a common issue and quite often you see a knackered fat forward out on the wing taking a rest. Money talks and I don't see this lack of quality ball as a reason for Charnley to return, why pass up an easier job and getting paid two or three times what you were previously on.
That's just my guestimation of the money he may be on, as I'm not privy to his contract details.

But I believe your right (in principle)PM Soft option with more money!
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Solamona is not in the same league as Charnley and I'll lay money on this being proven at Sale.
We will miss Charnley massively!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Panchitta Marra

Wandering Warrior wrote:Solamona is not in the same league as Charnley and I'll lay money on this being proven at Sale.
We will miss Charnley massively!
On their day it's difficult to chose between Charnley, Burgess and Manfredi as all 3 are class match winning wingers.
If Budgie comes back as good as what he was when he left for Australia, and Manfredi fully recovers from his injury and hits top form, would Josh be such a massive miss WW?.
I think when he's right, Burgess is the fastest player in SL and Manfredi is a freak of nature when he hits top form, I'd be happy with both. The time when we're waiting for dom to get fully fit is the time we would say we wish Josh was still here, but I think Tierney will play his part too.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Long term Burgess has said he'd like yo return to the NRL and give it another go. Maybe Charnley would return then.

As with most things by the time Charnley's contract is up the world will have moved on and who knows maybe playing a blinder every week on the wing for us.

I mentioned on another thread that we will have the fastest back line in SL Charnley or no Charnley. He will be missed though.
Escare, Tierney, Gildart and Burgess are very fast. Other clubs may have more experience in their backs but nowhere near our pace.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

You make fair comments PM but JB, Tierney and DM are not finished articles in my opinion, Charnley is now and that is why I think he'll be a big miss.
Furthermore, who knows when Fredi will be back? At this moment in time he's not in the equation, same as the Tomkins brothers.
Just my opinion.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
FWarrior

Post by FWarrior »

Solamona is a fantastic winger and but for injury he would be in the NRL where he was developed.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Wandering Warrior wrote:You make fair comments PM but JB, Tierney and DM are not finished articles in my opinion, Charnley is now and that is why I think he'll be a big miss.
Furthermore, who knows when Fredi will be back? At this moment in time he's not in the equation, same as the Tomkins brothers.
Just my opinion.
To say the side wont miss Charnley is utter folly,im with you the 3 players you mention are far from the finished article great futures hopefully ahead of them for sure,for me a measure of a great player is how they come back when theyve had a bad run,Charnley, he was easily one of the clubs best performers last season.
Panchitta Marra

fozzieskem wrote:
Wandering Warrior wrote:You make fair comments PM but JB, Tierney and DM are not finished articles in my opinion, Charnley is now and that is why I think he'll be a big miss.
Just my opinion.
To say the side wont miss Charnley is utter folly,im with you the 3 players you mention are far from the finished article great futures hopefully ahead of them for sure,for me a measure of a great player is how they come back when theyve had a bad run,Charnley, he was easily one of the clubs best performers last season.
Given these 4 wingers at the top of their game, who would you pick?
Charnley, Manfredi, Burgess, Tierney.
Personally I'd go for Manfredi, Burgess, Charnley, Tierney in that order, based on every one of them at their best.
That's my choice based on what I see in all 4.
From this and if Budgie and Fredi hit top form, I don't see Josh as such a massive miss as we have top cover on both wings, irrespective of how Josh has played.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Panchitta Marra wrote:
fozzieskem wrote:
Just my opinion.
Given these 4 wingers at the top of their game, who would you pick?
Charnley, Manfredi, Burgess, Tierney.
Personally I'd go for Manfredi, Burgess, Charnley, Tierney in that order, based on every one of them at their best.
That's my choice based on what I see in all 4.
From this and if Budgie and Fredi hit top form, I don't see Josh as such a massive miss as we have top cover on both wings, irrespective of how Josh has played.
I agree during 2015 season Josh was 3rd choice and the other 2 will have improved.