Judge me at the end of Season

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
PaulC

Re: Judge me at the end of Season

Post by PaulC »

Problem is people say don't re-sign old players but what do we do - Can you imagine the uproar from our 'Fans' if we didn't re-sign Sammy and Budgie. Jesus, moaning is bad enough now, but what if they pulled on a Stains or Cas shirt.....
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Only four games to the end of the 30 game season.
Then we can judge.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Wiganer Ted wrote:Only four games to the end of the 30 game season.
Then we can judge.
Might be all over after Friday. :sad:
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

PaulC wrote:Problem is people say don't re-sign old players but what do we do - Can you imagine the uproar from our 'Fans' if we didn't re-sign Sammy and Budgie. Jesus, moaning is bad enough now, but what if they pulled on a Stains or Cas shirt.....
Yeah, that's the thing, and I have sympathy for IL because of that.
markill

Post by markill »

PaulC wrote:
The only thing we all know we have needed year in year out is a kicker. That said escare was doing a cracking job until his injury.
No, he wasn't. He was kicking goals at 60%, he was comfortably the worst regular goal kicker in terms of success rate. Smith was hung out to dry by loads of fans for having a 10% better success rate.

Anyway, goal kicker aside, the judgement has to be that the things we were bad at last year haven't improved this year, last tackle plays, winning collisions, getting fast potbs. Then other aspects like the injuries have meant things we were the best at last year haven't been as good this year. Like being the fittest side, we haven't looked that this year. And having the best defence, well we've probably had as many shambolic defensive games as I've seen since Millward's days.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

The story of the season has been that we have only beaten teams that have been poor, anyone thats come with half a game plan has beat us.

Anyone touting the WCC as a mark of a successful season must be related to Wane - its a one off game, a preseason game, none of the aussie teams were up for it this year. I don't think it can even be classed as a real thing till it is moved to the end of the season. I can't see arsenal fans raving on about the community shield at the end of the season can you? and the WCC means less IMO.

The injuries are not an excuse, we were in positions to win games many times but due to the complete lack of game plan and game management we completely folded.

This season has pretty much killed off my desire to actually keep watching rugby, i was speaking with a few mates who feel the same, I've watched Wigan my whole life and I've never been so apathetic to watching the games. Its become a chore, i don't get excited to go see them anymore, its become like that christening you have to go and sit through that is only made barely acceptable by the fact theres booze and food to eat.

Its nothing to do with success either - remember the season we nearly got relegated that was brilliant in terms of excitement, but we are just completely dull and boring. Even the fire that used to be a hall mark of the Wane era has dissipated.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

The WCC win was a superb game and a fantastic event. It means far more than the charity shield in football. We were great that day.
On this season, I think we should wait till 10 pm on Friday at least before giving up on it.
One thing I will say is that the team have put in a shift - they have never given up and kept going to the end, and deserve at least one last push from the fans at Saints. What a win that could be if we pull it off.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:The WCC win was a superb game and a fantastic event. It means far more than the charity shield in football. We were great that day.
On this season, I think we should wait till 10 pm on Friday at least before giving up on it.
One thing I will say is that the team have put in a shift - they have never given up and kept going to the end, and deserve at least one last push from the fans at Saints. What a win that could be if we pull it off.
Ill admit its a nice event but it doesn't mean anything really in terms of a measure of your season - warrington were the best of all the british teams that weekend kevin brown looked like Thurston in that game, alas though they are now in the middle 8's and kev brown is back to being rubbish. Its just an exhibition match the Aussies are always pretty undercooked and jet lagged If it followed the two GF's or even if it was a mid season game and the aussies were up to speed then it mean count for a yard stick but in its current format its exactly the same as the charity shield to me a pre season curtain raiser

The actual season has been dreadful, the worst since I've watched wigan and that includes under noble.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

This is the issue.

Irrespective of what happens from now on in, Wigan have been very average this season. The term "flat track bully" pretty much sums us up.

The fact that technically we could still win the title reflects more on the standard of the opposition and the structure of the competition than it does on us.

After an easy route to the CC final we showed our true colours. Inept, lacking in execution, if not desire.

If Wane is "happy with his squad", then he needs to explain to the paying fans what went wrong.

My interest in RL is at it's lowest since the early 1980's.

Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I quite liked the early 80s. It was the late 70s that were the toughest.
Winning the WCC is one hell of an achievement. All the teams involved take it seriously. My concern is that the team and its approach was inevitably based on what had worked so well at the end of '16. Including an 80 minute hooker. Since that team fell apart, there has been no obvious plan in any game beyond hoping our game breakers conjure something from nothing, and that the defence digs in.
There are 2 massive issues - keeping and getting players fit, and a non existent attack. And these have been issues for years.
I am though convinced that we have a squad which could play scintillating rugby, if they can get on the pitch and given a structure. I still ove the game, and am hugely looking forward to the World Cup, but am frustrated beyond belief at our medical ineptitude and attacking limitations.