Judge me at the end of Season

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
acwrlfc

Judge me at the end of Season

Post by acwrlfc »

Well Mr Wane after yesterday the season is over and my thoughts are that the it has been a shambles from start to finish

Lack of direction poor signings no attack, need I go om

One of the worst seasons to watch in our recent history

Anybody else agree\disagree

Cant wait for Friday
Fujiman

Re: Judge me at the end of Season

Post by Fujiman »

acwrlfc wrote:Well Mr Wane after yesterday the season is over and my thoughts are that the it has been a shambles from start to finish

Lack of direction poor signings no attack, need I go om

One of the worst seasons to watch in our recent history

Anybody else agree\disagree

Cant wait for Friday
it wasn't a shambles at the start as we won the WCC. Also we have had an horrendous run of injuries to contend with. However yesterday was a big disapointment so not sure were we going from here tbh :conf:
acwrlfc

Post by acwrlfc »

Injuries are an excuse which we have brought on ourselves to an extent. too many injuries in training. Last week Davies had a slight hamstring strain now its an ankle problem. Who knows what is going on. John Bateman shoulder injury at the start of the season after 3 months off
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I always thought they got Bateman ready for that damn WCC game and to hang with the conscequences,would i swap that game? damn right but hindsight is a wonderful thing to have of course but if i was granted a wish i'd happily swap it but thats just me.

Escare aside the signings have been or have turned out to be very poor,Burgess simply isnt the same player he was when he left as for Tommy he's been asked to do something he perhaps hasnt got the tools to do,added to that Williams at times looks lost has compounded the issues in the halves.

All sides need to be broken up at times thats just a sporting fact,new blood is always brought in but Wigans constant need to resign players has in my mind stunted any freshness a new player brings with him,again thats my bugbear i dont know about others.

If and i cant believe there wont be signings close season then i genuinly fear for next season,it's a good squad but i think the boss men and some supporters have mistaken a big squad for one full of quality and most importantly experience once an injury crisis hits as it does from time to time.
PaulC

Post by PaulC »

Fozzie, you talk about signings being poor but I don't know 1 person that wasn't initially unhappy with the signings this season or last.

Everyone had an organ when Sammy, Tommy and Budgies returns were announced and there would have been riots if they had gone elsewhere.

People though FPN would have turned out better, and to start it did, but hes had less of and impact thus season.

With George, everyone said retaining him would have been the main priority, how did the club know he would then drop his performance.

Only one that's been a waste of money for me is Navarette, but I can see why they tried with him, especially if he was cheap. Sadly the project didn't turn put well, but don't we always have a project player.

The only thing we all know we have needed year in year out is a kicker. That said escare was doing a cracking job until his injury.

Fact is the boys on the books could be amazing and has the raw talent but we need an attacking coach that is adapted more to the current game than wane. All coaches need help and certainly think we cold do worse than wane, but it is clear he is not an attcaking coach.

Who exactly do we get rid of and where does the money come from to replace.

Chose number from1-13.

For me only JoEl and FPN would go. And possibly our 18 - waste of time that lot, do nothing but moan.

Get the team attackin, moving forward and give Tommy, Sammy and Williams time and room to play and you will see a smarter team. This for me is what smith did for us and it was a shame to see him go.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

PaulC wrote:Fozzie, you talk about signings being poor but I don't know 1 person that wasn't initially unhappy with the signings this season or last.

Everyone had an organ when Sammy, Tommy and Budgies returns were announced and there would have been riots if they had gone elsewhere.

People though FPN would have turned out better, and to start it did, but hes had less of and impact thus season.

With George, everyone said retaining him would have been the main priority, how did the club know he would then drop his performance.

Only one that's been a waste of money for me is Navarette, but I can see why they tried with him, especially if he was cheap. Sadly the project didn't turn put well, but don't we always have a project player.

The only thing we all know we have needed year in year out is a kicker. That said escare was doing a cracking job until his injury.

Fact is the boys on the books could be amazing and has the raw talent but we need an attacking coach that is adapted more to the current game than wane. All coaches need help and certainly think we cold do worse than wane, but it is clear he is not an attcaking coach.

Who exactly do we get rid of and where does the money come from to replace.

Chose number from1-13.

For me only JoEl and FPN would go. And possibly our 18 - waste of time that lot, do nothing but moan.

Get the team attackin, moving forward and give Tommy, Sammy and Williams time and room to play and you will see a smarter team. This for me is what smith did for us and it was a shame to see him go.
Myself and a few others protested over signings and had the pee taken out of us by the majority who are currently up in arms about the same players, you couldn't make it up :roll:
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Paul,

I have been absolutely consistent in my annoyance at the constant resigning of players I wouldn't have signed any of them back for this reason,Wigan rugby is simply the best club in the world,to move anywhere else is no matter the club a step down in my opinion,yes they say love is blind but that's the way I feel at least,Lenegan has during his tenure created a culture of using the club as a safety net and that simply isn't right in my eyes.

I've no issue with players leaving good luck to them it's a short career but they must be made aware that no matter who it is that when they leave,they leave their time is over in a Wigan shirt as very few returnees ever work out,the 3 players ŷou mention have been deeply average,indeed Burgess is a shadow of the player he was before he left sadly as for Tommy well I still don't know why he was signed this time round.

FPN has been a disappointing signing but to be fair he's played every game good or bad so he must be doing something right.

Williams simply shouldn't be the marquee player,the agent again in my opinion played the club,at this stage we simply don't know how good he is going to be,that ruling was to bring top class players to the club wasn't it not player who's still far from the finished article,

Navarette was a disaster playing wise but with Escare coming it was a shrewd move to have someone help him settle in.

The club hobbled itself with the sale of Mossop,Smith and Crosby it left it looking uneven with the prop department looking very light if injuries hit it was foolish.

I never say it's time to get rid of player x it's unfair I'll voice annoyance of course but I will comment on the 2 long term injured players who I think should be given till next season at least before commenting,ST and MM,I'd say Sam is ahead of schedule and is looking good but MM for me hasn't done anything out of the ordinary but still time for him in my eyes,I'll say again just to be playing after the injury is a miracle.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I would move Sam to 7, let McIllorum go nad get a 9 who can run and play long minutes, plus replace Bretherton and Navarette with 2 props so that T and FPN can play few enough minutes to be effective. Plus, of course, get an assistant coach who can teach attack.
I am not giving up on this yet though, as I think this group can dig deep enough to win our next 2 games.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:I would move Sam to 7, let McIllorum go nad get a 9 who can run and play long minutes, plus replace Bretherton and Navarette with 2 props so that T and FPN can play few enough minutes to be effective. Plus, of course, get an assistant coach who can teach attack.
I am not giving up on this yet though, as I think this group can dig deep enough to win our next 2 games.
Lockers to academy coaching staff, Gelling to second row, Bateman to 13, bring in Masivesi Dakuwaqa, Sam Tagatase, Kyle Amor and Josh Bowden
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Oh and we need a medical team able to prepare and treat injuries and to cancel the luxury gym membership that the players so enjoy while "recovering".
If we had a hooker who posed a running threat, then we can play an extra prop, the defence would be asked questions from the ruck and Sam and Williams would have time. Houghton, Hosgson, Parcell, Clark... any one of those would transform our side.