Hull Enquire About Aspy

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Exiled Wiganer

Re: Hull Enquire About Asp...

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Well Millward is hardly going to say he's crap and on his way while the season is still on. I wouldn't read too much into his words.

By the way, I would pay their air fare if that would be quicker than driving (the M62 being what it is).
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Exiled Wiganer posted:
Well Millward is hardly going to say he's crap and on his way while the season is still on. I wouldn't read too much into his words.

By the way, I would pay their air fare if that would be quicker than driving (the M62 being what it is).
...he doesn't mind saying the team will lose to Saints but he'll publically say how well Aspinwall is playing and lie? Nah.
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

Exiled Wiganer posted:

why not millward isnt responsible for him being at the club and if aspy knew he was on his way why would he not say that? Your forgetting its millward he isnt afraid to say anything he thinks.
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Ok - maybe it was wishful thinking on my part. I suppose I couldn't imagine that a master coach would have looked at our last few games and seen greater evidence of talent displayed by Aspinwall than, say, Colbon and Melling, and was trying to make sense of it to myself...

But he can't really think he is a decent player.

(By the way, I think he could justify writing our chances off publicly against the Saints - as that manages expectation, and may well not be what he is saying to the team anyway - and talk up a player on whom he may be relying, however poor he thinks he is).

My money is on Aspinwall's exit.

On further reflection, I would charter a helicopter.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

Exiled Wiganer posted:
Ok - maybe it was wishful thinking on my part. I suppose I couldn't imagine that a master coach would have looked at our last few games and seen greater evidence of talent displayed by Aspinwall than, say, Colbon and Melling, and was trying to make sense of it to myself...

But he can't really think he is a decent player.

(By the way, I think he could justify writing our chances off publicly against the Saints - as that manages expectation, and may well not be what he is saying to the team anyway - and talk up a player on whom he may be relying, however poor he thinks he is).

My money is on Aspinwall's exit.

On further reflection, I would charter a helicopter.
I seem to remember one of Aspy's first games was the last Wigan vs St Helens Boxing Day game. Was Milly in charge then? If so, he'd have seen an excellent display from Martin which had many of those watching saying we'd found a new Gary Connolly. I suspect Millward's seen Aspinwall on a few occasions since then and has seen him play well more often than play badly. We've been playing Saints 4, 5 times a year in recent times so Milly's probably seen Aspinwall play more times as an opposition coach than as Wigan coach and has been impressed by what he's seen. Don't forget that most of this season Aspy's either been playing out of position on the wing, with a centre who's really a 2nd rower, or as a centre he's had a wing partner who has shown that he doesn't want to be at Wigan. Perhaps a bit of stability and a good partner might see Martin putting in more impressive shows again.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

So, Aspy's not crap, it's Wild's fault. No, wait a minute, it's Carney's fault. Has anybody thought Wild and Carney may have been made to look worse with Aspy at the side of them?
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

jinkin jimmy posted:
So, Aspy's not crap, it's Wild's fault. No, wait a minute, it's Carney's fault. Has anybody thought Wild and Carney may have been made to look worse with Aspy at the side of them?
I don't think I've ever accused Aspy of being crap, I've always been one to support the underdog (I was Mark Smith's only fan, it seems!). Similarly I've not much issue with Carney in the past but in recent weeks he has seemed lazy and we probably now realise why with all the uncertainty about his future.

I'm sure Aspy's lost form this year, and he's not the only one, but he's taken a lot of flack and I can't help thinking that by having an unsettled, unmotivated player on one side and a makeshift centre on the other might have affected his play to some extent.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Someone must have shown him where the line was tonight because he scored a decent try. He does seem to do a lot of running along the line and then a few metres forward, however, there's very little in way of other options. Tonight we had no moves, it was just one man rugby, everytime the likes of Scully looked to offload there was no one there, we lack all creativty in every part of the park, not just Aspinwall. I was disappointed with a few mistakes he made tonight. I'm not sure whether that kick would have gone for a 40-20 but he should have done better than standing in touch. Can't argue with his tackle without the ball though straight sin binning offence, maybe even a penalty try, wonder why the Saints player didn't get binned for an offence when we were on their line!?
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

He's a daft git, he does one thing right and makes 10 mistakes to go with it so the good thing he does is never remembered. I've had enough, why has Millward said he can stay?
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
WiganWarrior

Post by WiganWarrior »

Technically hasnt said he can stay he said he's gotta play for a contract. I can only hope its a professional way of getting rid of him lol. Maybe IM thinks the fans like him
Wigan til i Die !!!!

"Its like a game of union the ball disappears for 3-4 tackles then appears to be kicked" BBC GMR