Jai Field

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Bob the Builder

Re: Jai Field

Post by Bob the Builder »

jobo wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 6:43 pm
Bob the Builder wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 5:59 pm Love him! Great player! But a shadow of his former self. When are we going to see him go around a player and pin his ears back with the pace he has to burn? Is he carrying a knock? Is he nervous, following his hamstring issues? The pitches are now more firm and we are a third through the season, but still no Field flashes of brilliance in attack. He's in this Wigan team partly due to his speed and try scoring ability, but we're not seeing it just yet, why?? I know I'll get slated here by the Cherry and white spectacle wearers, but he's not producing the goods imo. I'd be interested in your opinions.
Think he is producing the goods. He may not be making 90 meter breaks every 5 minutes but the rest of his play, as a fullback, is spot on and when he does make those breaks, well that is the icing on the cake.

I'd say at the moment, he's the best fullback in SL and by some distance.
I'd disagree {and worryingly} Dufty at Wire is knocking strips off him at the moment as an attacking, yard makikig full back.
Bob the Builder

southportcdm wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 6:49 pm From various comments by Matty Peet, I think that Jai has to manage ongoing hamstring problems. He has to take it easy in training in order to avoid injury and last the season. Hopefully we'll see him at full pace when it really matters e.g. Challenge Cup final and important games at the end of the season. We can't afford for him to breakdown as he has done in the past. I was really relieved when he survived the away game at Leigh earlier in the season because he'd broken down there before.
You can't carry players though for a third of a season. And to say you were happy just to see him getting through the Leigh game. Really? Well I'm just glad i got through a crappy day at work 🤣
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Bob the Builder wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 6:54 pm
Bob the Builder wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 5:59 pm Love him! Great player! But a shadow of his former self. When are we going to see him go around a player and pin his ears back with the pace he has to burn? Is he carrying a knock? Is he nervous, following his hamstring issues? The pitches are now more firm and we are a third through the season, but still no Field flashes of brilliance in attack. He's in this Wigan team partly due to his speed and try scoring ability, but we're not seeing it just yet, why?? I know I'll get slated here by the Cherry and white spectacle wearers, but he's not producing the goods imo. I'd be interested in your opinions.
Think he is producing the goods. He may not be making 90 meter breaks every 5 minutes but the rest of his play, as a fullback, is spot on and when he does make those breaks, well that is the icing on the cake.

I'd disagree {and worryingly} Dufty at Wire is knocking strips off him at the moment as an attacking, yard makikig full back.
You worry too much. If you think Dufty is as good, then you are happily completely mistaken.
Bob the Builder

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 7:23 pm

You worry too much. If you think Dufty is as good, then you are happily completely mistaken.
I'd worry more if I had to pay his handsome wages 🤣 Never said he was as good. But give me some stats to prove who makes most metres at moment.
fozzie58

Post by fozzie58 »

The heavy pitches must be part of his issues as people have said he’s not taking on the opposition with that blistering pace we know he has no need to panic he still an excellent fullback but the sooner the weather turns for the better (at this rate that’ll be November) and we see him back to his blistering best
The artist formally known as fozziekskem
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Firestarter wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 6:53 pm
Soul Kitchen wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 6:36 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 6:16 pm He’ll do for me. He creates space for others. Flawless display at fullback today in awful conditions.
Pulled back inbthe clear today when ref should have played advantage.
Yep i nearly blew at fuse at the no advantage rule.For me hes not being put in as many gaps due to our spine change.Very similar to faz in that respect
We are playing a different brand of rugby this season. Look at our completion rate today in the first half, we are playing close to the ruck so obviously there will be reduced opportunities for the outside backs. Does anyone remember Jai’s performance against Penrith? I am glad he is in our team and not the oppositions.
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

Jai is carrying an injury to his calf and quad It's been mentioned previously. I'm pretty sure it's one that is being monitored. While he may not be at full pace the team with him there is still our best one even if he's at 60%. It's also nice to be in a position that we are winning while not just relying on Bevan and Jai's bits of individual magic. I'm sure the coaches and medical staff are doing whatever best for the team, I know Matty mentioned he's straining at the leash to play each week and imagine it's maybe one that's slowly improving. Think he's earned the right to be given a little slack sure he will be back firing soon.
Last edited by lucky 13 on Mon May 27, 2024 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Charriots Offiah

Let’s see when it counts. Dufty is extremely vulnerable defensively.
Charriots Offiah

Bob the Builder wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 6:57 pm
southportcdm wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 6:49 pm From various comments by Matty Peet, I think that Jai has to manage ongoing hamstring problems. He has to take it easy in training in order to avoid injury and last the season. Hopefully we'll see him at full pace when it really matters e.g. Challenge Cup final and important games at the end of the season. We can't afford for him to breakdown as he has done in the past. I was really relieved when he survived the away game at Leigh earlier in the season because he'd broken down there before.
You can't carry players though for a third of a season. And to say you were happy just to see him getting through the Leigh game. Really? Well I'm just glad i got through a crappy day at work 🤣
Wigan are not carrying him. Teams win cups not individuals and he is a key cog in our success.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

He's got plenty of try assists but also team plan to shut him down amd this removes focus from other players
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.