Six month ban for Flower

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
TrueBlueWarrior

Re: Six month ban for Flower

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

I just want to say I have never been an everybody hates Wigan type of poster as markill will vouch for in our many discussions about officials etc. However in this case I think Flower has been very harshly treated IN COMPARISON to other similar acts. I am a believer that all teams suffer from the inconsistencies of the RFL discipline procedures but lately us more than most.
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
TrueBlueWarrior

ian.birchall wrote:
cpwigan wrote:The second punch was distasteful but it was not full blooded)
If you think that the second blow wasn't full blooded Cpw then you weren't watching the same match as me.
The first punch was full bloodied, the 2nd punch was not otherwise LH would have been in a seriously bad way, however that does not excuse the 2nd punch at all irrelevant of its force.
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

A lot has been said and all the video repeats close in of Flower hitting Hoihia but where is there one on national television of the elbow going into BF face. Shown in real time the punches look innocuous all done in a split second until you get the slowmo .I dont think he should have punched him twice and now he must pay for his indiscretions.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote: Look at evidence, watch videos, look back at previous cases, not be influenced by media, ignore what chairmen and coaches say, ignore what pundits say, stick to the rule book, have the same panel every week, sack Ganson, make referees accountable for their decisions.
If you asked the RFL wouldnt they say they do the first few points already?, and having the same panel every week what happens if a certain memeber of the panel disliked a player or team, they would then be forced to judge on them everytime.

Making referees accountable for their decisions is interesting but again they are still human they will make mistakes and what effect is it going to have on them if they are hung drawn and quartered everytime they get things wrong.

Do you think the standard of reffing has gone done since ganson took over or do you think the individual refs are just poorer?
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Wigan_forever1985

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:I just want to say I have never been an everybody hates Wigan type of poster as markill will vouch for in our many discussions about officials etc. However in this case I think Flower has been very harshly treated IN COMPARISON to other similar acts. I am a believer that all teams suffer from the inconsistencies of the RFL discipline procedures but lately us more than most.
Do you think that flower was treated harshly or others have been treated easily or to put another way do you feel flowers ban is excessive or that others havent been banned enough - if you were to set the benchmark for punishments for example?
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
TrueBlueWarrior

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:I just want to say I have never been an everybody hates Wigan type of poster as markill will vouch for in our many discussions about officials etc. However in this case I think Flower has been very harshly treated IN COMPARISON to other similar acts. I am a believer that all teams suffer from the inconsistencies of the RFL discipline procedures but lately us more than most.
Do you think that flower was treated harshly or others have been treated easily or to put another way do you feel flowers ban is excessive or that others havent been banned enough - if you were to set the benchmark for punishments for example?
I think Flower has been harshly treated, I would have said probably 8 to 10 games including friendlies!

I certainly think Hohaia, Wood, Westwood, Chase etc. were all lucky with their punishments.
TrueBlueWarrior

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote: Look at evidence, watch videos, look back at previous cases, not be influenced by media, ignore what chairmen and coaches say, ignore what pundits say, stick to the rule book, have the same panel every week, sack Ganson, make referees accountable for their decisions.
If you asked the RFL wouldnt they say they do the first few points already?, and having the same panel every week what happens if a certain memeber of the panel disliked a player or team, they would then be forced to judge on them everytime.

Making referees accountable for their decisions is interesting but again they are still human they will make mistakes and what effect is it going to have on them if they are hung drawn and quartered everytime they get things wrong.

Do you think the standard of reffing has gone done since ganson took over or do you think the individual refs are just poorer?
I think the refs are just poorer and also yes the standard has gone down since Ganson took over.

I am certainly not one for public embarrassment in terms of referees or anyone for that matter as my support for Flower would suggest but there are other ways for referees to be made accountable. Remember there are only 7 SL games each weekend so if a referee is asked to step down for a weekend and loses their match fee for that week I think you will find standards would soon improve.

Are referees asked to justify their decisions/inconsistencies or are they just patted on the back every week?

Premier league referees are stood down if they make a howler and to be honest although it has it's own issues, in general Football referees are more consistent than RL refs, especially when it comes to the big decisions.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

ian.birchall wrote:
If you think that the second blow wasn't full blooded Cpw then you weren't watching the same match as me.
It wasn't IMO. The first certainly was. Boxing is one of my great sport loves. If Ben had punched him full force he would have done some serious damage. Punching power comes from the whole body, particularly the legs, hence why the first punch was a proper punch. The second was nowhere near as forceful/powerful.
Wigan_forever1985

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
I think the refs are just poorer and also yes the standard has gone down since Ganson took over.

I am certainly not one for public embarrassment in terms of referees or anyone for that matter as my support for Flower would suggest but there are other ways for referees to be made accountable. Remember there are only 7 SL games each weekend so if a referee is asked to step down for a weekend and loses their match fee for that week I think you will find standards would soon improve.

Are referees asked to justify their decisions/inconsistencies or are they just patted on the back every week?

Premier league referees are stood down if they make a howler and to be honest although it has it's own issues, in general Football referees are more consistent than RL refs, especially when it comes to the big decisions.
I think football is a much easier game to referee as the rules are quite clear and consistent in themselves. One of my biggest issues with RL is that there seems to be a change of the rules every season as a buzz change, one year it was moving off the mark the next its a flop and this year it was "obstruction". I personally think it is very difficult to ref a modern rugby league game because the pace is so frantic, i do think 2 ref's may help that like in the NRL. What the video ref can and cant be used for also needs to be looked at too
Wigan_forever1985

cpwigan wrote:
ian.birchall wrote:
It wasn't IMO. The first certainly was. Boxing is one of my great sport loves. If Ben had punched him full force he would have done some serious damage. Punching power comes from the whole body, particularly the legs, hence why the first punch was a proper punch. The second was nowhere near as forceful/powerful.
I sort of agree and disagree with you here CP, i think it was a full bloodied shot but as you say due to the body position it was an arm punch which carry a lot less power but i still think it was to the higher end of what he could achieve from that position