Question for Mike !!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Welski

Re: Question for Mike !!

Post by Welski »

warriors posted:
Rob i can use english lit properly. I got BB. But this is not coursework, exam etc. So i chose the easy way, an use txt. Rob do you no y i resorted to swearing?????? Coz you think you no everythin, but to me you no shit. You think that you are the boss of the site. Which you are not. An if people wont 2 use txt then they can. I have no problem. The only people that have a problem, is the elders. How about this......... Learn how to read txt. then you would have learnt somethin new.
Warriors how about learning something new, like some manners
Strongest Armpits in Rugby League
Welski

Post by Welski »

warriors posted:
Rob shut the up you , right think about it. More people the england no how 2 us txt the normal. An it is easier faster an you cant have a spellin mistake then. So go an swival, coz you just go told.
Incidentally how much have you had ?
Strongest Armpits in Rugby League
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

warriors posted:
Rob i can use english lit properly. I got BB. But this is not coursework, exam etc. So i chose the easy way, an use txt. Rob do you no y i resorted to swearing?????? Coz you think you no everythin, but to me you no nowt. You think that you are the boss of the site. Which you are not. An if people wont 2 use txt then they can. I have no problem. The only people that have a problem, is the elders. How about this......... Learn how to read txt. then you would have learnt somethin new.
This is getting very tedious, but nonetheless...

English literature has nothing to do with this issue. We're talking English language, which when I was at school was a separate thing (and a good job really considering how far Shakespeare and Chaucer are from modern English).

Nowhere on the internet is there anything that says you should take the easy option when typing messages. Infact, the long-standing rules of netiquette (the original rules of the internet) state that you should use proper language so that everyone can communicate with each other. If non-English speaking people wanted to read this, it's much easier for them to understand correct English as they can look things up in dictionaries etc, which they certainly cannot when people use abbreviations, text etc. There are some non-native-English speakers who look on here, my girlfriend for one. She can't understand any of this abbreviated nonsense, but why should she be discriminated against?

Swearing will not be tolerated on here, the moderators of this site have been given instructions by the site owner (Mike) that this place should be kept friendly and abuse-free, and we will enforce that. We're not the 'bosses' of the site, but such people exist on almost every message board and discussion site to try and keep things friendly.

I'm not sure what your definition of elders is, there have been complaints about txt on here from people aged from low 20s to late 70s. That's quite a broad age range and a much larger group of people than the under 20s who are the ones most likely to use txt. I don't consider myself old, and in any case why should people be discriminated against because of their age?

I use txt on my mobile phone, but nowhere is there a definition of this 'language', it's a random removal of letters in most cases in order to fit a long message into whatever character limit has been set by the phone manufacturer (and it's not always the same limit). There is nothing to learn.

In all areas of life you should the language which is most appropriate to the situation. You wouldn't use txt in a job interview, I wouldn't use formal writing in a text message. The people who created the internet said we should use proper English with a few, documented abbreviations (things like LOL, IMHO, IIRC). So that is what is appropriate in this situation. If you disagree, perhaps there are several thousand academics and military people in the USA who you could complain to?
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
warriors

Post by warriors »

An mike also sed that you should not be bossy an think you no everythin coz you an rob dont. So now, you an rob stop telling people what to do an go an swival. See i hate people that tell me what to do, i will do, an type what i wont.An if people stop tell me what to do then i wont us bad words.

I almost never swear,but when there are people like youse, then that is all i can say. Coz that is all you all be able to understand.

An when you com to thik about it, no one on this site is speaking proper english. So if you wont to change it to that, then well be it. But i would profer to keep to what, they like it them selbes
warriors

Post by warriors »

Welski, i have learnt manners. But why would i need to have manners to someone who is not much older than me. An is a RICHARD.
warriors

Post by warriors »

I did really us must on the txt anyway. I only us it a bit. there is alot of other people that ys it alot more than me. An there is already one person left, coz she type in txt. So if you keep on saying this, then their will be more people goin. So it is you to you.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

warriors posted:
An mike also sed that you should not be bossy an think you no everythin coz you an rob dont. So now, you an rob stop telling people what to do an go an swival. See i hate people that tell me what to do, i will do, an type what i wont.An if people stop tell me what to do then i wont us bad words.

I almost never swear,but when there are people like youse, then that is all i can say. Coz that is all you all be able to understand.

An when you com to thik about it, no one on this site is speaking proper english. So if you wont to change it to that, then well be it. But i would profer to keep to what, they like it them selbes
Everywhere in life there are guidelines and people telling others what to do. We are trying to (re-)establish an environment where EVERYONE can discuss things in a friendly manner (which it generally has been since the board re-opened last year). To achieve that you need to have guidelines, such as no swearing, no obscene postings, asking people to communicate in a way that everyone else can understand. It is the same in every aspect of life, whether you like it or not. People tell you the rules of driving, how to behave in a civilised manner, even at rugby matches there are rules ("don't go on the pitch" etc). You have to abide by them, for the sake of everyone else as much as for yourself, you are not the only person in this (virtual) world.

Neither myself nor Rob have ever claimed we "know it all", that is just your opinion. Moderators by definition have to be a bit bossy, what's the point if they are not? At the same time, if people think we are overstepping the mark then I'm sure we'd be happy to change our approach or releave ourselves of the moderator privilages.

How on earth can you say swearing is all we understand? I challenge you to look back at my 200+ posts on here and find more than a couple of occasions where such language has been used. YOU are the one who seems to need to use bad language to express yourself, not us.

As for no-one using 'proper English', I take pride in my communications skills. What I type may not be A-level standard English, we're not writing books here, but grammatically it will be 90% correct which would meet anyone's interpretation of 'proper English'. As I mentioned earlier, my girlfriend is not a native English speaker, she relies on people speaking good English to be able to understand what they say (both spoken and written English). She can understand me 95% of the time, we wouldn't have much of a relationship if that were not the case, so clearly I must be using the language correctly.

To be honest, if you're not prepared to type things in a way I can understand then I'd be inclined to ignore you completely unless you continue to be abusive. It would, however, make the discussion board a bit redundant if people cannot discuss things with each other.

And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....

[hr]
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

robjoenz posted:
Would it not be simpler just to have different zones, for example, a fun zone where those that wish to discuss how 'fit' Luke Robinson is or whether O'Loughlin looks better with short or long hair can post their messages. Or for those 'txt adikts' to chat on?

Then a match day zone where we can analyse matches and have that sort of discussion.

Then perhaps a non-Wigan RL zone where we can discus RL related items not necassarily related to Wigan.

Then maybe a chat zone where people may ask each other questions like who's going the next home match and where they are sitting, etc...

I think that about covers everybody that currently frequents this message board.
Sounds good to me - and a lot easier too. The only down-side is a bit of extra work for the moderators to keep appropriate posts in the right area.

Can anyone else suggest any other topic zone titles, we don't want too many though.

PS apologies if any typos slip through, this week I'll be mostly typing on a french keyboard with a weird layout...
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

Mike posted:
Sounds good to me - and a lot easier too. The only down-side is a bit of extra work for the moderators to keep appropriate posts in the right area.

Can anyone else suggest any other topic zone titles, we don't want too many though.

PS apologies if any typos slip through, this week I'll be mostly typing on a french keyboard with a weird layout...
I've mentioned Frequently Annoying Questions, I think that would save a lot of aggro!

Can I have your French keyboard when you've finished with it, I got rather attached to the AZERTY layout when I lived in France. It does take some getting used to though, the fact that CAPS LOCK affects number keys as well as letters! When I came back to the UK I was cursing the normal QWERTY keyboard for months.

[hr]
warriors

Post by warriors »

Mike, now i stay logged on. But there is another thing now. When i turn my computer or go on to another internet site, it stays logged in. But when i come back to the site, im logged in but, im not if you no what i mean.

It says warriors is logged in but, i cant type anythin, i have to log in. how come that happens?????