living away from wigan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
robjoenz

Re: living away from wigan

Post by robjoenz »

Fraggle posted:
It's the SK postcode which is sought after, since Stockport is officially in Cheshire even though the boundary is a bit stretched there and I think it should be Derbyshire if anywhere. I'm not even so sure what is so good about Cheshire either. People talk about Wilmslow and such places, but Widnes is also Cheshire and I certainly wouldn't want to be associated with somewhere like that.

As for Maine Road, it's about 10-15 minutes walk from here (near the main University campus) but I've not taken any notice of what they're doing to it. To be honest I'm not going to miss the place, traffic outside here was a nightmare on matchdays. I've not been into Withington for a long while, I don't usually go much beyond the Fallowfield residences although I remember there used to be a decent Canadian pizza place down there which used maple with their pizzas... very nice.
It's Alderly Edge that people want to be assosiated with isn't it, the posh bit where the footy players live.

I get bus past Maine Road to goto town and over the past two months they have destroyed it with a big grapple claw. There is just a masive pile of bricks and twisted metal. I think it looks better than it used to :D

Canadian Charcoal Pit is probably the place you got a pizza, don't go there much cos I live next door to a chinese :dont: You're not missing much in Withington, it's quiet with the occassional gang of scallies, but it doesn't have the rowdy students and over expensive drinking houses you get in Fallowfield.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

robjoenz posted:
Canadian Charcoal Pit is probably the place you got a pizza, don't go there much cos I live next door to a chinese :dont: You're not missing much in Withington, it's quiet with the occassional gang of scallies, but it doesn't have the rowdy students and over expensive drinking houses you get in Fallowfield.
That's the place, I remember now. I also don't do pizzas much anymore, and for a similar reason - my girlfriend is Taiwanese, an excellent cook who enjoys cooking so it's Chinese food for me nearly every day! Rowdy students I can live with, literally infact because in exchange for free rent I live in a Hall of Residence looking after 1300 of them. Must be a nightmare in Fallowfield though. The expensive pubs are all over studentland, the other side of the Curry Mile is the same with the Kro Bars, Jabez Clegg and the Oxford just being rip-off places close to me. What happened to students wanting cheap and cheerful beer, change from a pound, records in the jukebox, that kind of thing? I must be getting old.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Fraggle posted:
That's the place, I remember now. I also don't do pizzas much anymore, and for a similar reason - my girlfriend is Taiwanese, an excellent cook who enjoys cooking so it's Chinese food for me nearly every day! Rowdy students I can live with, literally infact because in exchange for free rent I live in a Hall of Residence looking after 1300 of them. Must be a nightmare in Fallowfield though. The expensive pubs are all over studentland, the other side of the Curry Mile is the same with the Kro Bars, Jabez Clegg and the Oxford just being rip-off places close to me. What happened to students wanting cheap and cheerful beer, change from a pound, records in the jukebox, that kind of thing? I must be getting old.
Lucky for some, I'm lucky to get beans on toast off my my girlfriend :( I do not envy your living arrangements, I was in halls three years ago, I hated it, I like to sleep at night. Are you a warden at Whitworth Park or something?

Student Union at Manchester Uni is quite cheap and UMIST union (where I go) but as you say the rest of studentland is a rip off and most of these daft students tend to pay for it. Fallowfield is ok if you want to watch League matches on SKY though, most the pubs play the games. Best place is Springbok (or whatever they call it now) for rugby though I think. Do you know of anywhere better?
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

robjoenz posted:
Lucky for some, I'm lucky to get beans on toast off my my girlfriend :( I do not envy your living arrangements, I was in halls three years ago, I hated it, I like to sleep at night. Are you a warden at Whitworth Park or something?

Student Union at Manchester Uni is quite cheap and UMIST union (where I go) but as you say the rest of studentland is a rip off and most of these daft students tend to pay for it. Fallowfield is ok if you want to watch League matches on SKY though, most the pubs play the games. Best place is Springbok (or whatever they call it now) for rugby though I think. Do you know of anywhere better?
That's the one, I live in a giant breeze-block toblerone at Whitworth Park! Only Deputy Warden I'm afraid, but that's bad enough. I never lived in Halls as a student, they didn't have many where I was so it's a bit of an experience for me. The advantage of being in with the international students is they not quite so rowdy as the good old Brits.

The other half's not a drinking person so we don't go out much, but finding screens to watch matches is not easy. WP has a bar which few people use, it's as cheap as the unions and they have the rugby on the telly behind the bar if the landlord's in (you have to ignore people walking past and there's no sound - a bonus I think!) but their hours are a bit irregular and soccer comes first. Last Friday in the Oxford they refused to show the Stains match because someone wanted to watch Sky Sports News as they were updating the Arsenal/Liverpool soccer score every 10 minutes! The Jabez was empty so I went in there but it's not cheap. There's a Walkabout across from the Opera House, they're bound to have all the games although Friday night's a clubbing night so maybe not? At least next Sunday is on the normal telly.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Never been in the Oxford or Hogshead, looks expensive from the outside. I've just remembered the best place to go actually... the Sports Bar just a bit further past Walkabout. You need a good job to get a round in but I watched all the Test matches in there because I worked at a pub nearby, and the atmosphere was great. Quite a lot of league fans in there.

I am lucky enough to have a ticket for Sunday I've got a season ticket, but shall be taping it off BBC.

On a different topic. I was on the train back from Wigan yesterday I was talking to a chap who said he was one of Lee Gilmours mates. He said he went for a drink with him on Friday night after the game and sounded to me like he wasn't that unwell after their physical battering by our lads (awwww).
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

If you go in the sports bar after youve been everywhere else its alright,cause you dont realise how much your spending when ya drunk!
I was in there for me 18th the weekend tony blair was in manchester and the whole of manchester was quiet because of the security alerts so it was free to get in, ive not been in during the day though. If I cant watch sport on tv i just listen to it or watch teletext (sad I know...)
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
the grinch

Post by the grinch »

i live in wigan,orrell to be exact about about a mile from the union ground. they have the best fireworks display there come november.its good to hear wigan fans are everywhere and i agree totaly the rfl should be trying to promote the game in ireland and cumbria a lot more than the are.i went to murryfield a couple of years back the people where great they had no idea who we where but got into the spirit of the game anyway.
dont let your victories go to your head or your failures go to your heart
linz

Post by linz »

When I was at the challenge cup game in edinburgh and the one against gateshead at tyncastle people kept saying stuff to me like 'we use different money up here'. I don't think that they could quite get their heads around the fact that i was scottish. or maybe they just don't like folk from glasgow!
Tickle's Warbabe

Post by Tickle's Warbabe »

Dont i know its posh, if one more person corrects my Wigan tonge or stares at me like i am speaking alien and ask's me "say that again i dont understand" i am going to scream. :(
WindleWarrior

Post by WindleWarrior »

I hope you all feel sorry for me!!! I am from Appley Bridge and through work ended up living in St Helens, now I do get some very funny stares walking round Morrisons with my Warriors shirt on!! I live 200m from Knowsley Road and I don't half take some stick jogging past there in cherry and white!

St Helens is a dump but the nightlife is pretty good, not plucked up the courage to wear my colours in Bird I'thand though!( Top of Knowsley Road) :lol1: