referees

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
gpartin

Re: referees

Post by gpartin »

robjoenz wrote: My main gripe is their misunderstanding of rules. The Bradford v Leeds game, for example. Stevo claiming that Brent Webb wasn't offside because his team mates has played him on and also claimed that the knock-on from Jamie Jones-Buchanon had gone backwards. The viewing public expects these professional commentators to know the rules and they are who people to look for explanations when a decision isn't clear cut. When they confidently explain rules incorrectly it's often the referee that gets the blame.
There are far simpler rules than that that Stevo doesn't understand, he really hasn't got a clue.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

gpartin wrote:
robjoenz wrote: My main gripe is their misunderstanding of rules. The Bradford v Leeds game, for example. Stevo claiming that Brent Webb wasn't offside because his team mates has played him on and also claimed that the knock-on from Jamie Jones-Buchanon had gone backwards. The viewing public expects these professional commentators to know the rules and they are who people to look for explanations when a decision isn't clear cut. When they confidently explain rules incorrectly it's often the referee that gets the blame.
There are far simpler rules than that that Stevo doesn't understand, he really hasn't got a clue.
This is true... despite the complexity though he sounds confident, which makes him believable.

Sometimes Stevo is actually right, funnily enough he is often correct when he talks about momentum.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

robjoenz wrote: Sometimes Stevo is actually right, funnily enough he is often correct when he talks about momentum.
Yeah, but he's still fixated on whether or not the passer keeps running after passing. Why he thinks that makes a diffence, I have no idea.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

GeoffN wrote:
robjoenz wrote: Sometimes Stevo is actually right, funnily enough he is often correct when he talks about momentum.
Yeah, but he's still fixated on whether or not the passer keeps running after passing. Why he thinks that makes a diffence, I have no idea.
I think the point he's trying to get across (but not quite succeeding) is whether the passer is running when he releases the ball. If he's stationary and the ball goes forward relative to the ground then it's a forward pass. If he's moving and it does it's not necessarily forward.
pedro

Post by pedro »

slimshady wrote:
pedro wrote:Stevo and Clarkey can talk sense but Eddies bias shines through and I feel embarassed for him as I cringe. Wire, Sts and Leeds obviously lie close to his heart.
Youve just lost any credibility with that statement cause that Yorkshire tosser never talks anything but inane drivel and the sooner we have the Eddie and Stevo duo replaced the better.
I had credability :eh:
mario

Post by mario »

robjoenz wrote:
slimshady wrote:
pedro wrote:Stevo and Clarkey can talk sense but Eddies bias shines through and I feel embarassed for him as I cringe. Wire, Sts and Leeds obviously lie close to his heart.
Youve just lost any credibility with that statement cause that Yorkshire tosser never talks anything but inane drivel and the sooner we have the Eddie and Stevo duo replaced the better.
I always find this one interesting, fans of different clubs think they have different biases. I work with some Warrington fans who have said that Eddie hates Warrington and I know Saints fans that have said Stevo doesn't like them because they're not from Yorkshire.

My personal opinion is that they're most complimentary to Saints and Leeds; purely because they play the best rugby and are the most entertaining to watch.

My main gripe is their misunderstanding of rules. The Bradford v Leeds game, for example. Stevo claiming that Brent Webb wasn't offside because his team mates has played him on and also claimed that the knock-on from Jamie Jones-Buchanon had gone backwards. The viewing public expects these professional commentators to know the rules and they are who people to look for explanations when a decision isn't clear cut. When they confidently explain rules incorrectly it's often the referee that gets the blame.
Stevo was right on that occasion. Robbie Paul explained that he would have been played onside last year, but Cummings has added this new unwritten rule that you can't be played onside in that situation anymore.
yoda warrior

Post by yoda warrior »

stevo does not understand the momentum rule, and listening to him moan on about it is embarrasing. stuart cummings explained it to him on boots n all a few years ago but he didn't understand i guess. i'd like the chance to explain it to him!
mario

Post by mario »

I'd be surprised if Cummings understood the momentum rule!
turf

Post by turf »

mario wrote:I'd be surprised if Cummings understood the momentum rule!
I would be happy to debate if the momentum rule actually exists.
yoda warrior

Post by yoda warrior »

it rarely ever comes into play and is about the angle the ball leaves the hands. nothing to do with the relative positions of passer/catcher as stevo would have you believe. the only time it really comes into play is 2 on 1 situations.