The coming of age of Josh Charnley

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Fernando Player

Re: The coming of age of Josh Charnley

Post by Fernando Player »

I saw Amos play in the Castleford (away) game a few months ago. While it was obvious that he was nowhere near the Amos we know and love, he was spot on under the high ball (playing full back)...
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I personally would like to see Joel back in the pack next season and players like Josh, Goulding, King, Marsh given the opportunity to fill the void.
Fernando Player

Post by Fernando Player »

Well said CP, I think Joel is a great player but I'm worried we're gonna lose the likes of Goulding and Marsh if they feel they're not getting the opportunities...
southernpie

Post by southernpie »

So does anyone think we do not need to bring anyone new in?
Deacon to be replaced by Mellor.
Gaz Hock/Joel Tomkins to fill Hoff's spot.
Marsh, Charnley, Goulding and Roberts- right centre and wing.
Starting Props Lima and Mossop, backed up by Prescott and a youngster/O'Carroll/ Fielden
1st 17 something like
Sam Tomkins
Amos Roberts
Josh Charnley
George Carmont
Pat Richards
Brett Finch
Joe Mellor
Jeff Lima
Tommy Leuluai
Lee Mossop
Joel Tomkins
Harrison Hansen
Sean O'Loughlin

Stuart Fielden
Paul Prescott
Michael Mcilorum
Liam Farrell

with Gaz Hock, Eamon O'Carroll, Chris Tuson, Darrel Goulding and Stefan Marsh pushing for places
This St Helens Defence is like a lollipopman at Brands Hatch -Ray French BBC TV Challenge Cup 1982

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-55dq ... Botica.jpg [/img]

https://picasaweb.google.com/nogireman/ ... SDELRUGBY#
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

With the depth of talent we have, I'm certainly not desparate for any marquee signings. Continuity has proved to be better than bedding in new players and taking until Easter to hit form!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Fernando Player wrote:Well said CP, I think Joel is a great player but I'm worried we're gonna lose the likes of Goulding and Marsh if they feel they're not getting the opportunities...
Personally Fernando I see Joel as right send row with Hansen or as a loose forward with Hock/Farrell/Jack Hughes on the left hand side. I would say Hock is the nearest to Hoffman.

Fans should keep an eye out for Ryan King. Great attitude and he is getting better and better. Very fast, cracking all round game even on defence, played v Aus for GB Academy last season. If he was a foot taller he would be a perfect winger.

I also think Stef Marsh is a winger not a centre but may get shunted to centre etc. Goulding for me is a centre.

I do not think we need to sign anybody from anywhere other than in the next 2 to 3 years, a top prop and maybe a 'gun' centre.

I hope Deacs retires after Wembley and a 2nd GF victory and we bring Mellor and/or Powell through especially whilst Finchy is here. I do think Finchy could stay longer than 2 years. The NRL is like football here, one of the biggest selling points SL has is a less media pressurised environment.

Players to watch out for down the next 2 / 3 years are Crosby, Spencer, Burke etc. Even further down the line Hampshire and Williams are an awesome half back pairing.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

jobo wrote:
Said it before and I'll say it again. Josh is as good at centre as Gleeson was...
Err...nope. He's got potential there, but since he's hardly played that position in his career so far, that's going too far!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

cpwigan wrote:
Personally Fernando I see Joel as right send row with Hansen or as a loose forward with Hock/Farrell/Jack Hughes on the left hand side. I would say Hock is the nearest to Hoffman.

Fans should keep an eye out for Ryan King. Great attitude and he is getting better and better. Very fast, cracking all round game even on defence, played v Aus for GB Academy last season. If he was a foot taller he would be a perfect winger.

I also think Stef Marsh is a winger not a centre but may get shunted to centre etc. Goulding for me is a centre.

I do not think we need to sign anybody from anywhere other than in the next 2 to 3 years, a top prop and maybe a 'gun' centre.

I hope Deacs retires after Wembley and a 2nd GF victory and we bring Mellor and/or Powell through especially whilst Finchy is here. I do think Finchy could stay longer than 2 years. The NRL is like football here, one of the biggest selling points SL has is a less media pressurised environment.

Players to watch out for down the next 2 / 3 years are Crosby, Spencer, Burke etc. Even further down the line Hampshire and Williams are an awesome half back pairing.
And where does Lockers fit into this forwards line??
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

As captain Josie AND loose forward. I can see sense as he gets older letting Joel do stints at LF and 2nd row coming on for Lockers and Hansen. Even this season Madge has rested him a little at times. You cannot work so hard forever.

Anybody else notice, we have shifted Lockers out a bit more to try to improve the right hand side defence. He is still our best player Josie, others get the limelight but he makes the team tick and leads (no get rid of Lockers / Lockers is not a captain threads by some posters this season; Looks like we got it right Josie :wink: )
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

cpwigan wrote:As captain Josie AND loose forward. I can see sense as he gets older letting Joel do stints at LF and 2nd row coming on for Lockers and Hansen. Even this season Madge has rested him a little at times. You cannot work so hard forever.

Anybody else notice, we have shifted Lockers out a bit more to try to improve the right hand side defence. He is still our best player Josie, others get the limelight but he makes the team tick and leads (no get rid of Lockers / Lockers is not a captain threads by some posters this season; Looks like we got it right Josie :wink: )
Okay, I'll let you off :roll:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan