The coming of age of Josh Charnley

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

The coming of age of Josh Charnley

Post by cpwigan »

Always a fantastic prospect, until the CC QF and SFs, Josh was doing no more, no less that Daz Goulding did last season. AS with any player, particularly young one he still have areas to develop but his balanced effortless running has seen him make that next step up to a gamebreaker. I believe, he did for me anyway, run Sam very close for MOM v Saints because in 2 instances he created a try annd scored a try largely off his own efforts.

Sometimes you just have to have faith and patience with youngsters. An experienced players reaches a playeau where they will never get better and probably decline. How far with Josh go :exc:
gpartin

Re: The coming of age of Josh Charnley

Post by gpartin »

cpwigan wrote:Always a fantastic prospect, until the CC QF and SFs, Josh was doing no more, no less that Daz Goulding did last season. AS with any player, particularly young one he still have areas to develop but his balanced effortless running has seen him make that next step up to a gamebreaker. I believe, he did for me anyway, run Sam very close for MOM v Saints because in 2 instances he created a try annd scored a try largely off his own efforts.

Sometimes you just have to have faith and patience with youngsters. An experienced players reaches a playeau where they will never get better and probably decline. How far with Josh go :exc:
He was my MOM
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I would have given it him too Gaz. I can see why Sam got it but Josh in terms of stepping up, impact etc was mine.
south_stander

Post by south_stander »

cpwigan wrote:I would have given it him too Gaz. I can see why Sam got it but Josh in terms of stepping up, impact etc was mine.
I must still be pissed I thought that said "I would have given it to Gaz" oops
cumbria_warrior

Post by cumbria_warrior »

I agree Josh played well, he has took some stick lately for defence but its not always down to him, yes stains scored there trys down his side again but if you look he was caught with 2 against 1 on numerous occasions , the lad is playing well and his style of running when at his best is on a par with Sam, both look like could score from anywhere on the field at the min, hope he keeps developing and could hopefully become as good a player as Sam.
Kiwiseddon

Post by Kiwiseddon »

A possible candidate for young player of the year?
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

cumbria_warrior wrote:I agree Josh played well, he has took some stick lately for defence but its not always down to him, yes stains scored there trys down his side again but if you look he was caught with 2 against 1 on numerous occasions , the lad is playing well and his style of running when at his best is on a par with Sam, both look like could score from anywhere on the field at the min, hope he keeps developing and could hopefully become as good a player as Sam.
Josh also intercepted in the first half and saved a probable try.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

karen naylor

Post by karen naylor »

he did brill,its a fantastic team we have no doubt about it :D
THE 18th Man

Post by THE 18th Man »

Goulding had a great year last year but he did it with Gleeson inside him. still a good winger but Josh has proven you can put a second rower turned centre next to him and he can still get 20 tries a season
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Kiwiseddon wrote:A possible candidate for young player of the year?
Must be odds on. Wonder who will get the 25 shirt next season?