Super League name could be scrapped

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
DaveO

Re: Super League name could be scrapped

Post by DaveO »

Whelley Warrior wrote:The name 'Super League' means nothing to most people, but any name including the words 'Rugby League' would!
Grammar is not my best subject but "Super League" is a noun when used as it is - to describe the competition.

Rugby League is what the teams in Super League play in the same way football teams play Football in the Premiership.

Terms like Premiership and Super League are needed these days for marketing and when people refer to the Premiership they know exactly what sport you are talking about despite the terms football or soccer not being used in the name.

If by now people don't associate the term Super League with RL its not the name that is the problem but the marketing.

Anyway the bottom line is I think messing about with semantics is as Mike pointed a total distraction from the real problems the game faces. The RFL is fiddling while RL burns.

devon jim 1

Post by devon jim 1 »

Whelley Warrior Your comment is succinct and to the point. 'ad rem' also grammatically accurate :exc:
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Instead of swiping at me about English Grammar, some suggestions of a better name would be welcome.

I have made mine with the name of Rugby League Premiership which IMO is a better name than Super League which could refer to anything including even Tiddlywinks.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Whelley Warrior wrote:Instead of swiping at me about English Grammar, some suggestions of a better name would be welcome.

I have made mine with the name of Rugby League Premiership which IMO is a better name than Super League which could refer to anything including even Tiddlywinks.
Do you really think that changing the name so that Rugby League is in it will attract more people to the sport? How and why?

For this to have any effect these people would need to know they like Rugby League but wouldn't know that Super League was in fact Rugby League, so haven't been watching programs or going to games.

I've no problem with calling the league Rugby League Premiership or anything else - it simply doesn't matter. But whats the point in spending time and energy on superficial rubbish when the real problems are there to be solved? Its crazy.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I have always found using the word RUGBY confuses non followers of our sport. Even the Aussies describe Union as Rugby and League oddly but perhaps understandable for them, Footy.

I just do not see why Super League has suddenly become an issue. It is IMO irrelevant and we have far more important isues to address.
markill

Post by markill »

cpwigan wrote:I have always found using the word RUGBY confuses non followers of our sport. Even the Aussies describe Union as Rugby and League oddly but perhaps understandable for them, Footy.

I just do not see why Super League has suddenly become an issue. It is IMO irrelevant and we have far more important isues to address.
I was going to make a similar point earlier but was too busy at work. Super League is fine by me to be honest - its a robust enough brand name.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Whelley Warrior wrote:Instead of swiping at me about English Grammar, some suggestions of a better name would be welcome.
I wasn't swiping at you for English grammar but apologising for my own lack of knowledge of the subject.
And so could the Premiership! That is the point I was making!
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

DaveO wrote:
I wasn't swiping at you for English grammar but apologising for my own lack of knowledge of the subject.
Without the words 'Rugby League' at the front or back it means nothing to people outside the game.
markill

Post by markill »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
DaveO wrote:
Without the words 'Rugby League' at the front or back it means nothing to people outside the game.
I'm not convinced thats true, the advertising and media reporting that those people might pick up on could need to link the 'Super League' brand and Rugby League sport, but most people who don't know what Super League is probably don't already know the distinction between Rugby League and Rugby Union so its lost on them - in fact, with Union playing the Rugby Premiership too there is more chance of confusing people outside the game.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

markill wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:
DaveO wrote: I wasn't swiping at you for English grammar but apologising for my own lack of knowledge of the subject.
I'm not convinced thats true, the advertising and media reporting that those people might pick up on could need to link the 'Super League' brand and Rugby League sport, but most people who don't know what Super League is probably don't already know the distinction between Rugby League and Rugby Union so its lost on them - in fact, with Union playing the Rugby Premiership too there is more chance of confusing people outside the game.
Good point!