Super League name could be scrapped

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Super League name could be scrapped

Post by josie andrews »

Scrapping Super League and re-branding the leagues is being considered as part of the RFL's review of the game.

http://www.loverugbyleague.com/news_128 ... pped.html?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Owd Codger

Re: Super League name could be scrapped

Post by Owd Codger »

josie andrews wrote:Scrapping Super League and re-branding the leagues is being considered as part of the RFL's review of the game.

http://www.loverugbyleague.com/news_128 ... pped.html?
Should be called the 'Rugby League Premiership'
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

about time, theres been nothing super about it, the games gone downhill since it's inception, hopefully the clubs will get rid of the childish ammerican style club names as well
markill

Post by markill »

We might not like it, but then does that really matter? we'll still support Wigan no matter what they called the competition. The thing to consider is wider brand awareness. They need to see what the ordinary people in the street associate the term Super LEague with - if it is the top league in Rugby LEague then it should stay because obviously it is a known brand and it would be stupid to start rebranding all over again in those circumstances
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Rebranding is an act of desperation and is designed by those in charge to put off solving the real problems whilst still looking like they are doing something. Look how many times London have rebranded and how little difference it made to them - yet everytime they seem to think that all they need to do is change there name.

This sort of thing comes from marketing consultants and is a total waste of time as it never addresses the real issues in an organization.

The RFL obviously don't really know how to fix things and are looking for superficial changes that will deflect from the fact that they are not going to address anything fundamental.

I predict that none of the changes to Super League will happen apart from the drop to 12 teams. This is because the real motivation from the clubs is not to do with playing standards etc it is because they all want a bigger cut of the TV money. Do you really think any club will now vote for an extra 10 teams to get an even cut of the TV money?

Any two tier SL that doesn't have a relatively even distribution of TV money is a farce - its no different from the setup we have now just with promotion and relegation reinstated. Imagine a SL with the middle group of 8 in the second half of the season. Four of those teams will have 5-10X more financial resources than the other 4. How competitive will that be? There will be 100+ scores every other week. It will be so bad they will scrap it after 1 or 2 seasons. It can only work if the financial divide between the two division is relatively small - even as little as 50%.

We haven't even touched on how the salary cap is giong to work.

There is almost no chance of a meaningful 2 tier Super League happening. Maybe thats why they want to rename it.

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

josie andrews wrote:Scrapping Super League and re-branding the leagues is being considered as part of the RFL's review of the game.

I wonder how many 17 course lunches will be involved before they reach the earth shattering decision?
southernpie

Post by southernpie »

Kittwazzer wrote:

I wonder how many 17 course lunches will be involved before they reach the earth shattering decision?
And that my friend, is the crux of the problem, too many free lunches
This St Helens Defence is like a lollipopman at Brands Hatch -Ray French BBC TV Challenge Cup 1982

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-55dq ... Botica.jpg [/img]

https://picasaweb.google.com/nogireman/ ... SDELRUGBY#
Gushmuf208

Post by Gushmuf208 »

I agree with scrapping the American style names for the teams. We all have these names except that team 7 miles from Wigan. They still have their original name but they are not what the name says.SAINTS my posteria.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Gushmuf208 wrote:I agree with scrapping the American style names for the teams. We all have these names except that team 7 miles from Wigan. They still have their original name but they are not what the name says.SAINTS my posteria.
In his book 'Pies and Prejudice', Stuart Maconie refers to this and how the 'old guard' would never accept these names. He said something like " If you ever hear anyone say they're 'going to the JJB to watch the Warriors', you know they are newcomers"!
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Gushmuf208 wrote:I agree with scrapping the American style names for the teams. We all have these names except that team 7 miles from Wigan. They still have their original name but they are not what the name says.SAINTS my posteria.
Not going to increase crowds though is it - so why do it. Just creates a load of expense getting new stationery printed with no benefit.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐