Wigan Observer A new 6

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Wigan Observer A new 6

Post by josie andrews »

29wes28 wrote:Ranging Chase won MoS because players didn't want Sam to win, Saints voted Chase in spite of Sam and we voted Chase in spite of Roby.

If it was Critics choice Sam would have won the accolade, At Chases age if he was all that he'd be back in the NRL bigger cap better level of rugby but he's not, Chases agent would have knocked on every NRL clubs door but the fact of the matter is he's in SL earning a wage at a mediocre club.

Fair play to him he's making a good living and fair play to him if we do come knocking if I was him I'd say yes and if we do sign him I'll support him and give him a chance BUT ill say it again he's not good enough and I don't want him at Wigan.
Well said & good post Wes :)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
stevo38

Post by stevo38 »

how good would he be under a different coach ? he s playing under millward at moment :doz:
bertina

Post by bertina »

Plenty of "I don't want Rangi Chase" posts on here.But, can someone tell me who we should sign THAT IS AVAILABLE!!
It's no good keep whinging that Smith and Chase are not Tommy and Finch, if Smith and Chase are the best that ARE AVAILABLE AT THE MOMENT, then what else are the club to do?
If anyone out there has information about how to get Cooper Cronk, Benji Marshall, or anyone else of that ilk, then please let Ian Lenegan know. Because I'm sure he will have been looking already.
In life you can't always get what you want, when you want it. It's no different in Rugby league.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Why not give them a chance?

1). The coaching staff 2). The players concerned

Remember too;

Halfbacks are about balance and team structure.

Perhaps Smiths and Chase offer balance and fit the team structure.

Remembering, we may not even sign Chase. Afterall we were very close to signing Brown. Perhaps people prefer Chase to Brown?

RE IL / Waney. They plan for several seasons. Chase / Smith offer several seasons before Hampshire / Williams emerge or not as the case may be. Likewise Powell / Mellor. Who knows if Waney et al have decided they will not cut it.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

cpwigan wrote:Why not give them a chance?

Remember too;

Remembering, we may not even sign Chase. Afterall we were very close to signing Brown. Perhaps people prefer Chase to Brown?

RE IL / Waney. They plan for several seasons. Chase / Smith offer several seasons before Hampshire / Williams emerge or not as the case may be. Likewise Powell / Mellor. Who knows if Waney et al have decided they will not cut it.
How long do you think it will be before Williams and Hampshire are 'ready', bearing in mind they are now the same age that Shaun Edwards was when he became a 1st team player?
BigJeffLima

Post by BigJeffLima »

I wouldnt mind chase at wigan, theres not many top class players out there to replace tommy imo, i think he will prove everyone wrong if he signs. You dont win man of steel for being a average player.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Kittwazzer wrote:

Remember too;

How long do you think it will be before Williams and Hampshire are 'ready', bearing in mind they are now the same age that Shaun Edwards was when he became a 1st team player?
Let's not forget this is a team game and therefore the balance of the team as a whole is extremely important. Individual brilliance can win you the odd match but it doesn't neccessarily win titles.

Re Willaims and Hampshire, I reckon three years providing they are exposed to good coaching and fast tracked through the levels. They have already stepped up to the under 20s and next year they need to play against better opposition. It would be good for the club if they could partner an experienced halfback (dual registration)and then come back into the Wigan fold and ply their trade together. One of the most important aspects is the partnership they have formed at junior levels.

By the way, I wouldn't write Sam Powell off yet - he has been unlucky with injury this season but he is a competent scrum half from the old fashioned mould. Good kicking game, fast hands and extremely strong defensively.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Kittwazzer wrote:

Remember too;

I used to believe if you were good enough you were good old enough (I probably still do to a certain extent) BUT I do think the physical nature of modern RL atthletically and collision wise means a player is far better once he reaches 20 and may eventually peak between 25-28 although how much hammer a player has suffered in his career can shorten or lengthen it. Heaven forbid I even think of duty of care now lol but not to the Noble extreme. The difficulty we have in Britain is SL is a huge step from anything else. Dual contracts / loans are a huge positive. I personally would like to see more Rep / Origin RL at junior / academy level and even tours to Down Under in those age groups too.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Cheers for that. I suppose the game has evolved in 30 years, not least by going full time pro.

Its just when I hear about 17/18 year olds not being ready,I immediately think about Shaun becoming the youngest ever Wembley player in 1984, a record that would be broken 5 years later by Gary Connolly!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Kittwazzer wrote:Cheers for that. I suppose the game has evolved in 30 years, not least by going full time pro.

Its just when I hear about 17/18 year olds not being ready,I immediately think about Shaun becoming the youngest ever Wembley player in 1984, a record that would be broken 5 years later by Gary Connolly!
I think so. The game was much dirtier / brutal and yes your nose / teeth were battered etc but I do think the wear / tear on the body was somewhat less.

Never forget for Edwards there was a young Keith Holden, etc etc. Giz was a special player IMO.