Truly great effort

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Panchitta Marra

Re: Truly great effort

Post by Panchitta Marra »

DaveO wrote:Dragging games out of the fire like that has been the story of the season. We like to make it hard for ourselves and we did with plenty of penalties.

The never say die attitude is amazing and that result will raise a few eyebrows because a win next week and we have a home semi final. It has probably also rescued "the big one" despite Pat's absence.

Mind you we seem to play better away this season!

Flower's season is probably over so if we get to the GF that is another he won't feature in but with FPN, TT, Sutton and Crosby I am not sure he is a big loss.

Looking forward to next week already, who know s what Wigan team will turn up and if that win doesn't instill some confidence in the team not sure what will.
I think Ben flowers ban will easily run into next season, a stupid spur of the moment reaction which I honestly think was against frustration being created by Hicks continually awarding debatable decisions Warringtons way, it was clear on the faces of most players and Shaun Wane too.
Hicks should be refereeing at Hemel stags next week based on that performance.
The Yonner

Post by The Yonner »

Southern Softy wrote:In a way, it was the 'new' Wigan.
Probably the best 20 minutes at the start of the match that we have played all season.
Probably the worst 3 tries we have conceded all season.
Probably the most inspired passages of play in the last 20 minutes all season.
Probably the most consistently inconsistent team we have ever had.
Gelling brilliant in attack - awful in defence.
Tautai - MOM last week - couldn't be trusted to hang on to the ball this week.
Big Frank - anonymous last week - every inch the perfect go-forward prop this week.
Tierney - woeful last week - excellent this week.
I guess this is what we are likely to see in the future but I thought the comeback was based around Liam Farrell, who seemed to me to be playing 2 roles in the last 25 minutes post the sending-off. As well as masterminding the defence on the left flank and gaining valuable yards, he was running the team from loose-forward in the middle of the park. Why he wasn't MOM I'll never know.
Agree about Hicks - just incompetent. One of those terrible referees (like Bentham) who having given one side lots of penalties thinks he has to even things up by giving lots to the other side. Result - both sets of players are unhappy. As for the Ratchford sin-binning? Who knows why and that includes Hicks I suspect.
Delighted to have won a truly improbable and memorable victory and just to further inflame things............... I thought Matty Smith had a very good game, despite having no protection when kicking and Shorrocks was a much better passer when he played as hooker. That speeded things up and made us look more dangerous.
Agree with most of that.

Your point about Shorrocks speeding up the play the ball especially.

I hope certain posters will agree that Sam Tomkin's fully earned his money in this game?

Two brilliant passes to put the wingers in, and a typical opportunist try of his own.

He is back two his form before the injury against Wakefield, which means he is a potent attacking threat, notwithstanding his longer term recovery.

Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Southern Softy wrote:In a way, it was the 'new' Wigan.
Probably the best 20 minutes at the start of the match that we have played all season.
Probably the worst 3 tries we have conceded all season.
Probably the most inspired passages of play in the last 20 minutes all season.
Probably the most consistently inconsistent team we have ever had.
Gelling brilliant in attack - awful in defence.
Tautai - MOM last week - couldn't be trusted to hang on to the ball this week.
Big Frank - anonymous last week - every inch the perfect go-forward prop this week.
Tierney - woeful last week - excellent this week.
I guess this is what we are likely to see in the future but I thought the comeback was based around Liam Farrell, who seemed to me to be playing 2 roles in the last 25 minutes post the sending-off. As well as masterminding the defence on the left flank and gaining valuable yards, he was running the team from loose-forward in the middle of the park. Why he wasn't MOM I'll never know.
Agree about Hicks - just incompetent. One of those terrible referees (like Bentham) who having given one side lots of penalties thinks he has to even things up by giving lots to the other side. Result - both sets of players are unhappy. As for the Ratchford sin-binning? Who knows why and that includes Hicks I suspect.
Delighted to have won a truly improbable and memorable victory and just to further inflame things............... I thought Matty Smith had a very good game, despite having no protection when kicking and Shorrocks was a much better passer when he played as hooker. That speeded things up and made us look more dangerous.
i thought faz was mom also SS.He did a lot of good unnoticed stuff out there.Followed closely by Williams imo
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

George is such a talent that we (that means me) often forget him. Liam Farrell spoke about his real skill when play becomes broken. Sammy was key with that try out of nothing just before half-time and his interventions in attack near the end.
And not to forget Josh with one try that not many wingers would have scored and the other where he made the conversion easier by getting 15 metres or so nearer the post. We're going to really miss him.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

All I can say is I got a buzz back for Wigan Warriors last night!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Longstanding

Post by Longstanding »

That last twenty minutes was awesome, Warrington thought they had it won, Wigan lifted, Warrington made subs, suddenly we had more possession Warrinton got rattled and Wigan played rugby like I haven't seen for a while. Wow. I've been moaning all season now I'm
stunned.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

The last 20 minutes last night was a trip back to watching the Wigan of 20 odd years ago with the throw it about and hunger to win. I do hope normal service won't be resumed on Friday but I'll not hold my breath. After all we weren't fantastic last night but we did enough to win!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
cow yeds

Post by cow yeds »

All getting carried away a little bit here. Warrington for the last 25 mins were bloody awful, if ever a team imploded it was them. They made us look good.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

cow yeds wrote:All getting carried away a little bit here. Warrington for the last 25 mins were bloody awful, if ever a team imploded it was them. They made us look good.
Yes and No. Wigan scoring points is not standard fare this season. Whatsmore, if you look at every player, IMO it was hard to find a bad one last night. Several had their best game. Gelling deserves special mention for not training all week and being close to not playing. Tierney IMO had his best game for Wigan. Shorocks had a fine game.

If you look at the game. It was strange. It was hard to imagine Wigan playing any better. We monopolised possession. Tired Wire out and deserved to be lading at HT. The scary aspect was the purple patch Wire hit might have destroyed us going into HT. Scoring on the stroke of HT made going in at the interval very different. IMO, both teams played well in the first half and the referee gave a GF effort in the first half.

The second half was more mistake ridden from the kick off BUT Wire came out far better and bar maybe 1 and that was 50/50; every penalty was deserved. I wish Wane and Sam T would stop complaining. Sam was lucky not to spend 10 in the bin. The first 20 was Wures best and most dominant spell of the game and we were on the back foot. Benny fully deserved a red and he seriously need to look at himself for such a cheap shot. Wire scored a flurry as they can do but Curries going off seemed to spell the end for Wire. Should we complain? Yes they had 2 or 3 missing but so did we. To come back from such a deficit with 12 men deserves credit. Even Wane YES :eusa13: deserves credit because the way Wigan attacked Evans was high quality coaching.

We could have easily lost the game. Wire bombed several good chance (some stopped by fantastic last ditch defence). However, we scored points, we opened a team up and as the match progressed we got stronger and stronger 1 man down whereas they go weaker. Wire may even overdo the scooting albeit Clark is great but they need to mix it more. To me Wire seem to get 'tight' and lose control if games are tight. The confidence of Wire must be shot now.

So yes Wire could have win but they did not and as far as I am concerned that was a great effort that stands the test of time. Far better than anything this season for sure. After last night, I could see Wigan and Saints being in the GF.
michael inch stoke

Post by michael inch stoke »

At last a performance to be proud of.
Well done lads!!