Re: WESTS VICTORIOUS

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

DaveO posted:
100% Warrior posted:
Have to admit I wasn't around when the legend Waring was commentating but I have seen his classic when Don Fox missed the kick in the Cup Final.

"Aww...he's missed it!! the poor, poor lad"

:lol:
Waring a legend?

I was a little lad when he was commentating on the RL on BBC on Saturdays so don't remember much about him apart from the fact I hated his voice but I do know my Dad can't stand him.

I bet there are a fair few older fans with similar views to my Dad.

Rearrange these words and you get the picture.

git, yorkshire, biased.

Dave
Don't know how old your dad is, but I certainly agree with him...Waring made the game into a joke, and was very much responsible for perpetuating the image of "cloth caps & ferrets" that still persists today. As an ex RL club manager (of Dewsbury, if memory serves), he really should have known better.

He finally found his level with "it's a knockout"
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Just to correct a few inaccuracies. If you lived in Yorkshire, Eric Ashton was the son of Eddie Waring and if you lived in Lancashire, Neil Fox was the son of Eddie Waring. He idolised both players and thus cannot be categorised as biased one way or the other.

As for his commentaries. They were mildly amusing particularly in his early years but he later played upon his stock phrases and became a characteture (not only for himself but for the game as a whole) As such in his latter years he was detrimental to the health of the game because he perpetuated the northern cloth cap and whippet stereotypes. Still did we get anything better :D Raymondi French :(

Waring wasn't particularly good for RL, RL was very good for Waring.
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

Or maybe hes on the way here :wink:
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

mrs_carney posted:
Don't you start! :D
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

GeoffN posted:
mrs_carney posted:
Don't you start! :D
Geoff, the only other rumour we have is henry paul, now thats not very exciting is it :doz:
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3