Tickle and Anderson??

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
mickh

Re: Tickle and Anderson??

Post by mickh »

Regarding Andersons tackle on Tickle, Dennis Boyde used to tackle like that EVERY tackle he made for Wigan way back in the 70's, the Old Timer could probably back me up on this, he wasn't particularly big as loose forwards go but it had all to do with the timing of the tackle, hard and clean. Would it be worth a shout to bring him back as a "tackling coach" because in a lot of the cases the opposing players needed treatment off the physio after the tackle and would think twice about bringing the ball up next time around. :lol:
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Boyd had the ideal build for tackling. Toni Carroll and David Gillespie are other that spring to mind of that build. Even dare I say it Cunningham.
robjoenz

Re: Tickle and Anderson?? ...

Post by robjoenz »

A lot of people seem angry at Anderson standing over Tickle saying something to him. I don't understand why. Had it been the other way around the JJB stadium would have been cheering like we'd scored a try. As for the rest of the team wading in to support Tickle, why give away a penalty when you don't need to?
standofftfield

Post by standofftfield »

The_Bad_Guy posted:
must be mate coz on the wigan season review dvd it has BJ mather diving other the top of a group of players in the in goal area who are fighting.

is this the incident you're thinking of ?
No the Skerrett incident was in the field of play. The local paper had picture of it with captions like "is it a bird" and the other usual comments
lancaster warrior

Post by lancaster warrior »

Yes it was a big leagal hit, but am I the only one thinking this but the takle was never completed. Anderson hit Tickle, Tickle hit the deck. At no point did a St's player finish the tackle off so why not get up and pass the ball and carry on playing???
allways have and allways will hate st helens
turf

Post by turf »

I'll tell you why Tickle didn't get up and carry on playing, as the quote from the replay below shows:

Eddie Hemmings: What on earth was Vinnie Anderson saying to Danny Tickle

Stevo: Get up I think, and poor old Danny Tickle says, I can't.
jimofwigan

Post by jimofwigan »

turf posted:
I'll tell you why Tickle didn't get up and carry on playing, as the quote from the replay below shows:

It does not matter what Anderson was saying. His attitude could only be tollerated because of the team he plays for. This is not a myth its a fact. If the incident was in reverse and it was Terry Newton shouting at a player knocked down in this mannor and the possibly injured player say was Sion Long the press, the crowd,and the media band wagon would be labeling him an idiot. However it was only a Wigan player that was downed and the guy doing the idiot act was a Saints player so thats OK.If you dont believe me ---- ref reaction by Eddy & Stevo not even a wimper from either
Dawber

Post by Dawber »

AndyWright posted:
Dawber posted:
27nowt posted:
Agree totally, last time I saw anything as disgusting as that reaction to an admittedly f air tackle was Tommy Martyn against Rob Smyth at CentralPark. Stains deserved the win but what an improvement. Dobson definitely makea a difference. Still in with a shout of staying up.
I remember that, But it was not Tommy Martin, I just can't remeber tha Stains players name?, But that Stains player got pay back later in the game when he tried it on again and Scott Quinell sorted him out good style, That Stains player was like a little kitten after Scotty got hold of him, If anyone can remember the Stains players name i would be gratefull because it's bugging the backside off me now.
that would be ANDY NORTHEY for saints at central park 1996, he actually meant to hurt smythe (spelling???)
Thats the chap, It's been bugging me all weekend, I rmember he just put his shoulder in Smyth's face, He definately went to hurt him, Then watching him screaming at him while he was on the floor really bugged me i wanted to get on the pitch and give him a crack myself, Thanks again for the name mate.
Dynorod

Post by Dynorod »

It was a great hit and had it been the other way round we would have loved it. He looks offside as he gets off the line rather quickly.

The only way you'll find out if it's intentional is to watch the game 'player cam' style and see if Tickle or Anderson had any scuffles. Maybe one shoved the other in the face after a tackle or something?!
FOR ALL YOUR PLUMBING NEEDS
ince warrior

Post by ince warrior »

jimofwigan posted:
turf posted:

It does not matter what Anderson was saying. His attitude could only be tollerated because of the team he plays for. This is not a myth its a fact. If the incident was in reverse and it was Terry Newton shouting at a player knocked down in this mannor and the possibly injured player say was Sion Long the press, the crowd,and the media band wagon would be labeling him an idiot. However it was only a Wigan player that was downed and the guy doing the idiot act was a Saints player so thats OK.If you dont believe me ---- ref reaction by Eddy & Stevo not even a wimper from either
To be honest, I'm pleased that we have such a passionate sport that people take great delight on producing big hits like that and showing it... it also lifts the crowd, or ignites them, depending on which way you look at it.
WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGAN!!!

WRLFC & SCFC FOR LIFE!!!

WE HATE LATICS, SAINTS, MACCLESFIELD, BURNLEY, CITY, LEEDS, WIRE AND WREXHAM!!!!