Wigan v leeds

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ian.birchall

Re: Wigan v leeds

Post by ian.birchall »

Not sure all the carping about the referee is recognising the fact that with a hard referee we would have been playing the second half with 12 men with Joel Tomkins in the stands.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

ian.birchall wrote:Not sure all the carping about the referee is recognising the fact that with a hard referee we would have been playing the second half with 12 men with Joel Tomkins in the stands.
Not necessarily Ian. A referee with more authority and maybe Joel would not have let his frustration get the better of him!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I think the fact match officiating in RL is getting worse not better in 2010 is something we should not ignore and not accept. Serious questions by those in power need to be asked and dealt with.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

cpwigan wrote:I think the fact match officiating in RL is getting worse not better in 2010 is something we should not ignore and not accept. Serious questions by those in power need to be asked and dealt with.
Been saying that for a long time but look at who is in charge of the referees, and how bad was he when he held the whistle! Its like giving Gary Glitter the job of Schools Inspector!
weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

Disappointing result.

Failings on our part? We were well in control of that game for the first 25 minutes and it's no coincidence that our fortunes turned when both Fielden and Coley were off the pitch. TLs kicking game was also very poor - Deacon looked to have been the go to man and his injury knackered us a bit early on. We got dragged into a wrestle instead of playing rugby.

The standard of reffing was appalling and Alibert was clearly out of his depth. Leeds first two tries were scored off the back of terrotorial gains from 3 penalties plucked from the air. Rubbish.

Leeds cheating towards the end demeans them and I would have thought they were a better side than that. Donalds late tackle was borderline, but Mcguires cynical taking of Carmont out was pathetic. As for AL shaking the posts before a kick.......

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan wrote:I think the fact match officiating in RL is getting worse not better in 2010 is something we should not ignore and not accept. Serious questions by those in power need to be asked and dealt with.
I agree. There is far too much nicey, nicey lets blame ourselves not the officials or call out players like McQuire for blatant cheating.

I made the point on rlfans when people have said Sam Tomkins would have done the same if the boot was on the other foot.

If it has become acceptable to cheat to win games in the last minute then the game is degenerating into a soccer type spoiled brat type of game.

If blatant cheating and weak refereeing are continually brushed under the carpet refs will continue to have their authority eroded and players will behave like this far more often.

Had Carmont knocked on had he been able to take the pass instead of being held back THEN we can focus on the mistakes or whatever but ignoring stuff like this just because we made errors and gave penalties away misses the point.

Dave
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

ian.birchall wrote:Not sure all the carping about the referee is recognising the fact that with a hard referee we would have been playing the second half with 12 men with Joel Tomkins in the stands.
And Leeds would have been playing with less than 12! Buderus for the spear on Prescott and if the referee had a working pair of eyes he would have seen that mcguire hit Joel in the face with an elbow in the kick incident - so it should have been 12 plays 11!
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

I agree Dave. If you get beat, fair dos.

In a tight game like that last night, the result shouldn't hinge on the whims or incompetancies of the ref. I rewatched the match last night when i got back in and as the match progresses you can see Alibert just lose his grasp on the authority of the game as time ticks on. In that last debacle, he has blind panic in his eyes and literally doesn't know what to do.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Are the RFL even recruiting or identifying the correct type of people to progress to SL as referees. Most irrespective of whether they understand the rules simply do not have the personality / personal characteristics to control a game of RL.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

cpwigan wrote:Are the RFL even recruiting or identifying the correct type of people to progress to SL as referees. Most irrespective of whether they understand the rules simply do not have the personality / personal characteristics to control a game of RL.
I think that we would all agree that RFL is a pathetic joke, starting from the chairman all the way through the incompetent muppet in charge of referees and the gutless disciplinary down to the intellectually challenged morons that we have to put up with every week.

We brought over Australian administrators to run Catalan when they were set up - why don't we do the same with the governing body? Employ both past and up and coming administrators to run the RFL - they can't do a worse job than the current lot
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds