Edwards for Wigan ??

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
medlocke

Re: Edwards for Wigan ??

Post by medlocke »

the winky one wrote:But Medlocke how could he continue to live in London and travel up to Wigan and back for goodness knows how many times a week? I just couldn't see how that would have worked
he had a fast car :lol:
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

It is strange how only two names seem to be mentioned.

Personally, I think Wane deserves the opportunity.

However, instead of Edwards, Ellery? Another possibility would be to bring Faz back as an assistant and have a future coach down the line. As it currently stands succession starts/ends with Waney which lest we all forget was something IL always talked about and wanted. Well now is the time to see if he meant it or whether it was hot air.

Edwards has a fantastic RL brain. If he wanted to return. Personally, I would employ him but have him spend large parts of the next 3 years in Australia working with/observing Bennett and the best coaches Aus has to offer. His time at Wigan would be observing the systems Waney has, a skills tutor to the playmakers and so forth.

After 3 years he may then be ready to succeed Waney.

3 year is my little bug bear re coaching :wink:
old_trafford_or_bust

Post by old_trafford_or_bust »

Bit of everything in their with Edwards.

He said a couple of years ago (just before Madge) that he would love to coach Wigan some day.

Lenegan however; Well, quoted this week as saying "I’ve talked to Shaun Edwards a number of times before and Shaun has made it very clear that he wants to stay in London for family reasons" on the engage Super League website.

So, even though I'd like him to return, doesn't look like it is on the cards this time!
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

mickw wrote:
ancientnloyal wrote: It was barely over a year ago that Edwards was the firm fans favourite to take over as coach.
where do you get that from a@l ,looks on this thread very much like the jury`s out,and last year seemed the same aswell.i for one don`t want him back.
Not bothering to go back that far on the forum but i recall Edwards and Wane were favourites - Edwards was talked by many to be a saviour like (mythical) Jesus that will come back again and save us. Things have changed since hence whats been spoken in this thread.

Wane seems to have the lead at present but I won't be surprised if IL has a few holidays to Australia this year. When was the last time Wigan did something in the coaching/playing side that the fans wanted?

For me Wane 'deserves' a shot he has the correct mentality and will certainly let the players know what the wigan shirt means.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
the winky one

Post by the winky one »

:D :D :D I asked for that!!
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

Personally, I think the way that Wane has come up through the coaching ranks at the club, so to speak, must surely make him favourite.
He coached the academy (or one of the other junior teams), they seemed to blitz everyone, IIRC. Now he's been made an assistant to one of the best young coaches in the game. He was given the reins for 2 or 3 games last year and the team played excellently under him. This year, he's going to be furthering his knowledge and experience as an assistant, with a view to becoming a head coach. Surely he should be given the nod and anyone else being considered should be brought in as his assistant with a view to taking over in 3 or 4 years when Wane may move on.
CP's idea of bringing Faz in as an assistant is excellent. But, somehow, I don't think Mr Lenegan will pay the asking price to lure him away from coaching at Saracens.
Sadly, I think it may be many years before we see a prodigal son (Edwards, Faz) return to coach at our illustrious club. We just can't compete with the Union media bandwagon and financial clout :(

exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

Wane as Coach
Rads as assistant, With Trips to Aus to get some new skills
Deacs to follow Rads.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

I don't think Rad's will become a coach, certainly not of the first team. I'm sure I read that he doesnt want to, I may be wrong though. Also, he just seems like he's too nice to coach at the very top level

josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Sutty wrote:I don't think Rad's will become a coach, certainly not of the first team. I'm sure I read that he doesnt want to, I may be wrong though. Also, he just seems like he's too nice to coach at the very top level
He did say he didn't want to coach Sutty when he first started at the club with the U18's,
that is why he moved to become Rugby General Manager.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
onedego

Post by onedego »

WEP this morning, Edwards has ruled himself OUT from potential head coach @ Wigan. And has given Waney his full backing. (as has Pat Richards - given Waney his backing, not ruled himself out)