Will it effect us if Latics go down?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ancientnloyal

Re: Will it effect us if Latics go down?

Post by ancientnloyal »

Will their relegation affect the state of our pitch as it wouldn't now be required to be 'premier league standard'? I would expect the pitch to be relaid regardless due to the geography of the stadium in the football summer off-season.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

ancientnloyal wrote:Hope Arsenal win tonight but we still need to finish4th next week
Think I'll become a Toon fan for the rest of the season.

Wy ayy man! :lol:
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

It seems you're still having nightmares over Latu, funny.

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
Of Fame
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

ancientnloyal wrote:It seems you're still having nightmares over Latu, funny.
Not at all, that just made me suspect you were disingenuous.

You're Bolton birth and your support of Arsenal, proving you are neither Ancient or Loyal, simply confirms it! :lol:
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Kittwazzer wrote:

You're Bolton birth and your support of Arsenal, proving you are neither Ancient or Loyal, simply confirms it! :lol:
Not all Warriors supporters were born in Wigan and where football is concerned, support the Latic's and as our club proudly has the old 'Borough of Wigan' crest on the shirts, I see no problem with any of our supporters having 'Ancient & Loyal' as a user name.

Especially, when the Latic's ditched the new coat of arms of Wigan and choose to have a non descrip logo instead.

Only hope our club does not do the same.
markill

Post by markill »

You mean like we did around the start of Super League? We didn't stick to it though.

I'm not from Wigan. These days I have no strong feelings either way about the Latics. The use of the Wigan town coat of arms isn't a big deal for me, other than I like clubs to stick to the traditional style of crests becaase I think they look better. If you win things and are successful then they become as reconisable as anything some fancy brand management company comes up with.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
Especially, when the Latic's ditched the new coat of arms of Wigan and choose to have a non descrip logo instead.

As does everyone who's had it tattooed! :lol:
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Kittwazzer wrote:

That's a thick statement.

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
Of Fame
doc

Post by doc »

Whelley Warrior wrote:
Kittwazzer wrote:

Not all Warriors supporters were born in Wigan and where football is concerned, support the Latic's and as our club proudly has the old 'Borough of Wigan' crest on the shirts, I see no problem with any of our supporters having 'Ancient & Loyal' as a user name.

Latics have, in fact, also reverted to the their old badge, the tree and crown, that I recall them using when they first got elected to the league. The tree is supposed to be a rowan or mountain ash which is also known as a Wiggin tree(same as the restaurant on the top of Parbold used to be called). The crown refers to the fact that Wigan was a Royalist strong hold during the Civil War and the Royal Charter given to the town from where the "ancient and loyal" motif was taken. Their use of Wigan Metropolitan Borough coat of arms as their club crest came about relatively recently.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Kittwazzer wrote:

Like umpteen thousands in Wigan and many other towns. Why should he not support Arsenal. Sorry Kitt but you are just having a go because it is A & L.

Personally, I came from a footballing family who also had a passion for RL. During the 70's very early 80's RL was almost none existent even in Wigan bar some catholic heartlands.

Footballing was and always will be the bigger sport. My father supported Man Utd till the day he died. I supported them too, I still do. We both always wanted the Latics to do well. I watched their opening few seasons at Springfield Park. We watched far more RL because we enjoyed the game more BUT why should I not support Man Utd. I was brought up on tales of the Busby Babes, how the death of Duncan Edwards robbed our country of WCs and the world of the greatest player, of George Best.

The likes of Brett Kenny and John Ferguson made following Wigan RL easy and it was cheap and convenient. The distant Wigan RL supporters deserve all the plaudits they get. IMO, those supporters are the most dedicated ones. Who are you, I or anybody to tell them or question their right to support Wigan RLFC. We would not so why do so about football.

My personal belief is that you always want your hometown to do well at whatever, whenever. I can understand none Wiganers having a single interest / passion but Wiganers self harming is crazy. There are plenty out there that will stick the boot in from elsewhere.

Let's get it right. Supporting Wigan RLFC is easy. For my generation and I think we are of a similar age, it was so easy kitt. Wigan RLFC were on the crest of a wave, the Latics were shambolic after early promise. Plenty of Wigan RL fans stuck the boot in and they helped create a generation of bitter resentful Wigan Athletic fans.

Dave Whelan did for the Latics what Lindsay, Robinson, Rathbone and Hilton did for Wigan RLFC. Wiganers should be proud of what has been achieved in the name of Wigan.