Give everyone time

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
mrs_carney

Re: Give everyone time

Post by mrs_carney »

Fair enough, anyway must dash revision to do and the damned library is closed so we're off to find a classroom or such
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

GeoffN posted:
jinkin jimmy posted:
GeoffN posted: Thought they were chavs?
Why? Nothing sadder than an old fart striving to stay current :lol:
Teenage daughter to try and keep up with! :wink:
classification of potential boyfriends becomes important! :blush:
I'm in exactly the same boat!!
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

mrs_carney posted:
Emo is punk with passion so i'm told, or thats how they describe it!
I've never heard of emo either, but punk died out 25 years ago! New Model Army were about the last band to come out of that whole area, and even they toned down the "angry young men" aspect a long time ago. Punk is the Damned, Stiff Little Fingers, early Clash, early Stanglers, mohicans and all the rest. It's as bad as people calling themselves goths just because they dress in black, but listening to heavy metal music which never was goth in my day. Can't these people think up new names for their musical genres?
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

robjoenz posted:
mrs_carney posted:
Emo is punk with passion so i'm told, or thats how they describe it!
Does the traditional style of punk not have passion? Can't keep up with these teenage trends, I feel old.
Your not the only one! The gym I go to has videos playing and they keep going on about different musical types such as "urban", "house", "garage" and who knows what else. Means nothing to me.

It seems a current favourite is someone known as Dizzy Rascal who appears to come out with lyrics a six year old would get told off for at school in an English lesson.

Give me Alice Cooper and Jethro Tull (best live act I have EVER seen) anyday. Mind you I am quite fond of Avril Lavinge but I am not sure it's just the music :wink:

Dave
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

DaveO posted:
Your not the only one! The gym I go to has videos playing and they keep going on about different musical types such as "urban", "house", "garage" and who knows what else. Means nothing to me.
Simple... you listen to house music when you in the house (cleaning I suppose), garage music in the garage (playing with the car?) and urban when you're in town!

I've yet to see the garden or bathroom genre, though I'm sure they're kicking it on the underground (sewers?) scene!

One thing I hate about the gym I goto is the adverts for that blasted Crazy Frog!
It seems a current favourite is someone known as Dizzy Rascal who appears to come out with lyrics a six year old would get told off for at school in an English lesson.
Listen to the Streets too... none of the words fit the timing so he messes it about and he just talks over music about something uninteresting! He gets labelled a genius for it too!
Mind you I am quite fond of Avril Lavinge but I am not sure it's just the music :wink:
That, DaveO, is the GeoffN or (our disgruntled and departed) Ian Birchall coming out in you!
standishcat

Post by standishcat »

One thing I hate about the gym I goto is the adverts for that blasted Crazy Frog!
Can't escape that damn frog anywhere these days, it's haunting! :lol: And yeah, I know a girl at Winstanley who supports Salford. :eh:
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

DaveO posted:
I'm having to stop shopping at HMV because I can never find the artist I'm looking for - are they rock, pop, r'n'b, rap, urban, dance, garage etc etc? I'm sure things used to be simpler when I was younger. You had hey-nonny-no music (folk), old (classical), cheesy dancy stuff (pop), angry music (punk), noisy stuff (heavy metal), blues and jazz. It was rare for someone to fall into more than one of these categories. It wasn't necessary to separate out all of these styles into sub-categories like they have now. And I still can't find any foreign language music, they seem to assume that if it's not sung in English we don't want to listen.
Dis iz da way dat ppl wanna sing in da modern time. Erm, sounds like the kind of language 3 year old kids use to me, but I guess I'm not the kind of person this music is aimed at.

And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....

[hr]
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Fraggle posted:
And I still can't find any foreign language music, they seem to assume that if it's not sung in English we don't want to listen.
Isn't that downstairs in HMV and on the top floor at Virgin?
Dis iz da way dat ppl wanna sing in da modern time. Erm, sounds like the kind of language 3 year old kids use to me, but I guess I'm not the kind of person this music is aimed at.
Goo goo ga ga, goo goo ga ga
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

robjoenz posted:
It's Sweetie the ruddy Chick that gets to me. My gym is a small independant (read cheap!) gym close to work and they don't have a feed from Sky or whereever but someone records one of the music channels and they play the video back sending it to several TV's using those wireless senders you can get in Curry's!

So this means you get the same video over and over again until someone decides to record a new one. Since I am a creature of habit and go at the same time and do the same routine I can almost guarentee what song will be playing when I use what bit of equipment. And what advert!

The adverts for that frog and chick are therefore ingrained on my brain as is the fact that Dizzy Rascal is/was up for the award of "Best Urban Act" at some award or other.
Listen to the Streets too... none of the words fit the timing so he messes it about and he just talks over music about something uninteresting! He gets labelled a genius for it too!
Is that the one who had a hit talking about the fact his girlfriend had chucked him? Genius? :roll:
Mind you I am quite fond of Avril Lavinge but I am not sure it's just the music :wink:
That, DaveO, is the GeoffN or (our disgruntled and departed) Ian Birchall coming out in you!
[/quote]

Er....probably. Must be feeling old, probably due to being married for 15 years as of today! I have even bought the Under My Skin album!

Dave
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

robjoenz posted:
Fraggle posted:
And I still can't find any foreign language music, they seem to assume that if it's not sung in English we don't want to listen.
Isn't that downstairs in HMV and on the top floor at Virgin?
Not sure about Virgin, they've gone from the centre of Manchester now, but the choice of world music downstairs in the HMV in Market Street is very limited. They don't seem to realise that Europeans have made any records in the last 60 or so years (the only French music is 1920's accordion-based stuff), there's nothing at all from East Asia despite the massive J-Pop scene, contemporary central American music is limited to Ricky Martin... nothing at all of what I want to listen to. I have to buy stuff on the overseas versions of Amazon and 2nd-hand off Ebay because the UK just doesn't seem to want to know.

[hr]