Truly great effort

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Panchitta Marra

Re: Truly great effort

Post by Panchitta Marra »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:All I can say is I got a buzz back for Wigan Warriors last night!!
Was thinking exactly the same TBW, first time this season for me.
michael inch stoke

Post by michael inch stoke »

Kittwazzer wrote:
yokozuna wrote:
paulbadds wrote:Hi New to the site. Followed Wigan since I was young. Never been on forum till today so please don't knock me.I have difficulty talking to new people , hence nobody knows me. I would just like to say ,I thought that was 100% credit to all that played .Best Rugby League game I have watched for years. Had me off my seat for all the second half . Well done Wigan .Well done to all .
Welcome to the forum, and what a game!

I'll never get tired of watching Gelling score that try :D
Me neither. After beating Saints singlehandedly the other week, he should walk Player of the Season!
And yet there are still people where I sit call him a "pudding" at every opportunity they get. Against saints they had to wait 39 minutes, even though he had scored two tries by then :conf:
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:All I can say is I got a buzz back for Wigan Warriors last night!!
Do you think the players decided to play a bit of off the cuff and actually use the props who decimated them. Not seen our props go direct so early in the tackle count as they did in the last 20.

We had more of a flow to the moves. Sam Tomkins was doing in the last 20 what he did in 2013. He was putting the winger away with a pin point pass.

Not getting excited have a feeling that this was a player reaction and decision on the pitch rather than a new way of playing. Either way 2 games against the top teams away we have finished a lot stronger.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

A great win probably best of the season.
Some of the Rugby played was outstanding.
Now we know what this team is really capable of.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

When rugby league clicks like it did last night its a glorious game to watch no matter who the teams are,just a shame it hasnt done for most,if not all season across super league.

Even when Wigan wre losing it didnt bother me it was an even contest proper end to end stuff,perhaps unfair to single out players but if i had to it would go for FPN,who just as he did last week against Hull cause trouble he really is going to be a hell of an asset when hes truly match fit after a good and settled pre season.

Ben Flower i doubt he will play again this season,you dont lead with the elbow he got the right call with the sending off,id be amazed if he didnt get at least 3 or 4 games to sit and watch the game from the sidelines.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

One very important point seems to have been overlooked, in relation to the injury crisis we've had all season long - it was the first time in 2016 the same team had been together for successive weeks! And even that was short term with Sam Powell going off after just 7 or 8 minutes.

Given this squad at the start of the year, with an as fit as now Sam Tomkins (and still not 100%), plus Micky Mac, I reckon the performances would have more reflected our definite strength in depth, over the last 5 or 6 months.

Great reason for some highs in 2017 ?
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

thegimble wrote:
Do you think the players decided to play a bit of off the cuff and actually use the props who decimated them. Not seen our props go direct so early in the tackle count as they did in the last 20.

We had more of a flow to the moves. Sam Tomkins was doing in the last 20 what he did in 2013. He was putting the winger away with a pin point pass.

Not getting excited have a feeling that this was a player reaction and decision on the pitch rather than a new way of playing. Either way 2 games against the top teams away we have finished a lot stronger.
SW for all his faults does get us playing pretty good RL at the business end, we have been in the last 3 grand finals, won the first, Flowergate in the 2nd and Leedsgate in the 3rd!! Arguably we could and should have 3 GF on the bounce but definitely 2 for me! Maybe we have a little left in our locker fitness wise compared to other teams coupled with the fact we had nothing to lose last night was why we just 'played'. Whatever it was gimble, I thouroughly enjoyed it!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

cow yeds wrote:All getting carried away a little bit here. Warrington for the last 25 mins were bloody awful, if ever a team imploded it was them. They made us look good.
:lol:
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

The reaction of Wane in his post match interview after being asked how we won that with 12 men.
Are there many on here who going by his reaction, think he actually knew what the game plan was.
He appeared rather blank faced and only mentioning desire, efforts and belief, did he orchestrate that win or did the players take it on their own cuff.
Rochdale Warrior

Post by Rochdale Warrior »

I think the players got that fed up with the calls going against us at the start of the second half and none going the other way they just thought sod this and just went up two gears, remember Gells running the ball out like a man possessed on a couple of occasions, and everyone followed.
Strange as it is Hicks was that bad he actually spurred us on !
Also our fitness is top drawer take a bow Mark Bitcon