What is the truth

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
markill

Re: What is the truth

Post by markill »

Here's a question then, say our injuries are because of our training methods, would you take being a side that is poorer conditioned, so more likely to run out of steam at the end of matches/seasons, over having a few less injuries?

The best examples I can think of were Huddersfield 2-6 years ago when they were always in/around the Top 4 but couldn't compete in the playoffs (Catalan a few seasons have shown this too), and Hull last season and a little in games this season. Play well, beat top teams, but drop away in September and defensively disappear in the 2nd half of any game that Danny Houghton is missing. Would you prefer any of their training methods over ours? Both those teams ran relatively small first team squads and were lucky with relatively few injuries.

Our training methods have allowed us to win a number of games late in recent seasons and have allowed us to sustain sufficient performance levels to reach 4 Grand Finals in a row.

(BTW, I think very few of our injuries are down to training methods, however I also think getting some external experts in to audit the internal audit wouldn't be a bad idea either. You can always learn something I'm sure)
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

The club has obviously seen fit to investigate and therefore, given the experienced and professional personnel that have been involved in the review, we have to take their word for it that the current glut of injuries are down to bad luck! I am sure that they will have learned things from the review and tweaked things but that is what you would expect them to due on an on-going basis.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

josie andrews wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
josie andrews wrote:
Powell turned his ankle playing Salford.
....while jogging on his own nobody near him back into the line!!
Sorry, it was just the way it read that he was "jogging" not that he was "jogging" during the course of a game :)
No problem Josie!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
TrueBlueWarrior

markill wrote:Here's a question then, say our injuries are because of our training methods, would you take being a side that is poorer conditioned, so more likely to run out of steam at the end of matches/seasons, over having a few less injuries?

The best examples I can think of were Huddersfield 2-6 years ago when they were always in/around the Top 4 but couldn't compete in the playoffs (Catalan a few seasons have shown this too), and Hull last season and a little in games this season. Play well, beat top teams, but drop away in September and defensively disappear in the 2nd half of any game that Danny Houghton is missing. Would you prefer any of their training methods over ours? Both those teams ran relatively small first team squads and were lucky with relatively few injuries.

Our training methods have allowed us to win a number of games late in recent seasons and have allowed us to sustain sufficient performance levels to reach 4 Grand Finals in a row.

(BTW, I think very few of our injuries are down to training methods, however I also think getting some external experts in to audit the internal audit wouldn't be a bad idea either. You can always learn something I'm sure)
Enough said! :D
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I would take a team as well conditioned as the Sharks and with the quality of medical backing they can draw upon.
Looking at this week end's squad, O'Lougjlin has dropped out, though it looks like Williams may play. In both half back positions perhaps?
Whatever these experts are doing in terms of prevention and recovery this year, having reviewed what happened last year, is a million miles away from working. Lose on Sunday - which would surprise no one - and 2017 will be over by the start of June.
Which would be unlucky, as I think we all agree.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Joe Bretherton out for two months ????
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
TrueBlueWarrior

Exiled Wiganer wrote:I would take a team as well conditioned as the Sharks and with the quality of medical backing they can draw upon.
Looking at this week end's squad, O'Lougjlin has dropped out, though it looks like Williams may play. In both half back positions perhaps?
Whatever these experts are doing in terms of prevention and recovery this year, having reviewed what happened last year, is a million miles away from working. Lose on Sunday - which would surprise no one - and 2017 will be over by the start of June.
Having our key players fit and winning a GF followed by a WCC?
shaunedwardsfanclub

Exiled Wiganer wrote:I would take a team as well conditioned as the Sharks and with the quality of medical backing they can draw upon.
I would be surprised, no shocked if we lost on Sunday. I think we will win comfortably.
shaunedwardsfanclub

josie andrews wrote:Joe Bretherton out for two months ????
I was expecting Joe to progress this season but I have not seen any evidence of that, maybe that is due to his injury.
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
josie andrews wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote: Cheers morley, I just think that its always an easy option to turn to a conspiracy theory without any real evidence.

Out of the 14 missing players we have how many could you actually link to training? For a start one was on international duty and one suspended. Sam got injured in dubious circumstances, Manfredi from a dubious tackle, Gildart from an horrific tackle, Burgess was a bad tackle, Tommy was an accident, MM was a freak accident, Flower could happen to anyone at any point (Richards), Farrell got a knock, Bateman shoulder injury from hitting harder than his body should, Lockers down to age, Clubb had a horror tackle then a kidney removed, Powell has roled his ankle while jogging, Sutton eye injury, Gregson bad knee injury on a dodgy pitch, Shorrocks obviously has an issue with a knee, so who does that leave Tierney, Gelling and Williams?

So I ask the question again, do we have more injuries linked to training than any other SL club?

Or have we just been unlucky?

By the way what WF1985 wrote was a fantastic read.
Powell turned his ankle playing Salford.
....while jogging on his own nobody near him back into the line!!
So would you say the pitch might have played some part in the nature of some of the players injuries?
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!