Warriors bid for Aussie ace Minichiello

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Kittwazzer

Re: Warriors bid for Aussie ace Minichiello

Post by Kittwazzer »

Minichiello story in today's Mirror!
adiddy

Post by adiddy »

Agreed CP I would love to see Greg Eden at Wigan. A very exciting player, fast and elusive....has a few brain farts every now and again but nothing that some Radlinski coaching wouldnt get rid of!!! Hull KR struggling financially, I reckon we could get a decent young english player on a 3-4 year contract for a lot less than a 33 year old Aussie on a 1-2 year deal!!!

Matt
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

adiddy wrote:Agreed CP I would love to see Greg Eden at Wigan. A very exciting player, fast and elusive....has a few brain farts every now and again but nothing that some Radlinski coaching wouldnt get rid of!!! Hull KR struggling financially, I reckon we could get a decent young english player on a 3-4 year contract for a lot less than a 33 year old Aussie on a 1-2 year deal!!!

Matt
And where would that leave Tierney, Powell, Hampshire?
AdamMac

Post by AdamMac »

Kittwazzer wrote:
adiddy wrote:Agreed CP I would love to see Greg Eden at Wigan. A very exciting player, fast and elusive....has a few brain farts every now and again but nothing that some Radlinski coaching wouldnt get rid of!!! Hull KR struggling financially, I reckon we could get a decent young english player on a 3-4 year contract for a lot less than a 33 year old Aussie on a 1-2 year deal!!!

Matt
Does it matter? Tierney had a shocker on Friday (amongst others)that's not to say he won't come good but I very much doubt he'll be ready for a full season in super league next season.

Hampshire & Powell play 7 & 6 and at this moment in time Eden is a better full back than all of them.

DaveO

Post by DaveO »

AdamMac wrote:
Kittwazzer wrote:

Matt
Does it matter? Tierney had a shocker on Friday (amongst others)that's not to say he won't come good but I very much doubt he'll be ready for a full season in super league next season.

Hampshire & Powell play 7 & 6 and at this moment in time Eden is a better full back than all of them.
I expect we will get to see how Hamshire goes there tonight but if this guy is an out an out half back it would be a shame to see him used as an attempted clone of Sam.

Up to now all those tried have shown they won't be ready next season. Hampshire might be and I guess we will see if he is but we are running out of options.

Surely the club and fans don't think we can automatically replace Sam with a kid and carry on as if nothing has happened? Players like Sam are once in a generation type of players.
markill

Post by markill »

DaveO wrote:Surely the club and fans don't think we can automatically replace Sam with a kid and carry on as if nothing has happened? Players like Sam are once in a generation type of players.
Thats the point isn't it Dave, Sam can't be replaced (unless we somehow signed Slater or Barba or Hayne or someone!!). No matter who comes in - aging experienced Aussie, other Super League player, one of our juniors etc. - Sam isn't going to be fully and effectively replaced by any of them.

I don't think we should be writing Tierney off after a few mistakes last week and I don't think tonights game should make or break what we do with Hampshire (assuming he does play FB tonight), but they are in a position to learn from Sam having played to the same systems as Sam has been playing to for the last 2-3 years.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

markill wrote:
DaveO wrote:Surely the club and fans don't think we can automatically replace Sam with a kid and carry on as if nothing has happened? Players like Sam are once in a generation type of players.
Thats the point isn't it Dave, Sam can't be replaced (unless we somehow signed Slater or Barba or Hayne or someone!!). No matter who comes in - aging experienced Aussie, other Super League player, one of our juniors etc. - Sam isn't going to be fully and effectively replaced by any of them.

I don't think we should be writing Tierney off after a few mistakes last week and I don't think tonights game should make or break what we do with Hampshire (assuming he does play FB tonight), but they are in a position to learn from Sam having played to the same systems as Sam has been playing to for the last 2-3 years.
I am not writing anyone off but I am saying they aren't ready.

If Sam was held to the three years then they would all stand a better chance of being ready.

As it is Hampshire could come in tonight, play a blinder and be being hailed as the next Sam but even if he did I'd still say he wasn't ready simply because of his age and lack of experience. From what I have seen on Wigan TV he looks the most talented of the lot but it would be a huge risk to go with him or any of the others next year.

If letting Sam goes means we have to sign someone like Eden and he gets in the way of any of these lads so they want out then there is another reason Sam should be here in 2014.

We will drop in quality whoever ends up in at No. 1 of the ones people have been discussing either one of our young players or any of those rumoured signings but I think we'd be taking a huge risk to go with a kid. A risk for them too. Murphy has vanished since the semi-final and who knows how last week affected Tierney. I'd hate to see them chucked in before they were ready and crack under the pressure of weekly first team football.
adiddy

Post by adiddy »

Kittwazzer wrote:

Matt

As was pointed out to myself by Bilko..Sam didnt start playing regular rugby until 20yrs old, so using that as a benchmark, that gives Tierney some time to improve/mature/get experience before he becomes regular player, if he makes it that is. In the meantime we need a fullback!!
Everhopeful

Post by Everhopeful »

Some will be pleased to know Minichiello reportedly due to re-sign for the Roosters tomorrow. I think he would have given you 2-3 years of great service. Better than Moltzen!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Everhopeful wrote:Thu, 25 Jul 2013 at 07:57

Some will be pleased to know Minichiello reportedly due to re-sign for the Roosters tomorrow. I think he would have given you 2-3 years of great service. Better than Moltzen!
This has just been reported in the Daily Star Sunday!!!

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/rugby- ... nichiello?

Again it proves this site is streets ahead of any journalist with news :wink: :lol:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan