Flower Charged

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wandering Warrior

Re: Flower Charged

Post by Wandering Warrior »

I remember Skerrett picking on Cowie at Rochdale, he bit off perhaps a bit more than he could chew! Worked out right in the end though!!

And it's an oh dear +1 from me, anybody else and he's through to the next round!?!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
OJ

Post by OJ »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:I appreciate I am a lone voice on this, but the facts are that Flower lost us one Grand Final and in a very important game nearly lead to us having a much harder route to another. If we get there it will be despite him. By any measure that makes him a liability.

I love hard men - Skerrett was one of my favourite players - but they would show they were hard by picking on people their own size and had enough sense to show discipline in big games. Flower has shown himself to be a cowardly thug again and the club simply cannot afford the risk he will do so again.
Guess I can understand why you're in exile now!
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

yonmon

Post by yonmon »

Everyone sees things differently and exiled wiganer is perfectly entitled to air his views. Perhaps though it could be a lesson to all of us how we post as there is a huge double entendre in his post waiting to be given the full Micky take. :D
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I think it was a just ban, it was reckless and could of resulted in an injury.

On a side note though they were baiting flower all night, and i do wonder sometimes if taking away the biff means players are more likely to vent frustration in much more dangerous ways than a couple of punches, like late/high challenges

ask anyone who has played and im sure they will agree id rather take a few punches than an elbow or late challenge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I don't mean to rile anyone, and would be happy to say to Flower's face that his actions caused us to lose one Grand Final and could have made this season more difficult.
Who knows, one day I may get the chance to do so.
It is true that the 2 big match incidents were on much smaller players. That is a matter of fact, not opinion.
I want the club to do as well as it can do, and I don't mind being the sole person who holds the opinion that we are better off without Flower.
It will not cause me to skip a beat in supporting the team. Tbh, I didn't think it was that controversial a position to take.
I apologise unreservedly for any offence caused to my fellow Wiganers in the way I expressed my views.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:I don't mean to rile anyone, and would be happy to say to Flower's face that his actions caused us to lose one Grand Final and could have made this season more difficult.
It is true that the 2 big match incidents were on much smaller players. That is a matter of fact, not opinion.
I want the club to do as well as it can do, and I don't mind being the sole person who holds the opinion that we are better off without Flower.
It will not cause me to skip a beat in supporting the team. Tbh, I didn't think it was that controversial a position to take.
I apologise unreservedly for any offence caused to my fellow Wiganers in the way I expressed my views.
Don't apologise for having an opinion although calling him a cowardly thug was a little harsh in my opinion.

I actually totally disagree with you however about flower and his antics and considering you like to point out facts, is it a fact that he cost us a GF and nearly another big game?
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
Exiled Wiganer wrote:I don't mean to rile anyone, and would be happy to say to Flower's face that his actions caused us to lose one Grand Final and could have made this season more difficult.
Don't apologise for having an opinion although calling him a cowardly thug was a little harsh in my opinion.

I actually totally disagree with you however about flower and his antics and considering you like to point out facts, is it a fact that he cost us a GF and nearly another big game?
That's a very good point. You're right. The only facts are that he was sent off in both games, and both the people hit were much smaller. The rest is inference and opinion. I hope I have also not attacked anyone else's opinion in stating this view - I don't recall doing so, but am sorry if I have done.
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Exiled Wiganer wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:

That's a very good point. You're right. The only facts are that he was sent off in both games, and both the people hit were much smaller. The rest is inference and opinion. I hope I have also not attacked anyone else's opinion in stating this view - I don't recall doing so, but am sorry if I have done.
It's a forum, people disagree, no need to apologise, I am far from offended and still respect your opinion but as I said the bit about Flower being a thug and coward was a little harsh.
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

I to agree no need to apologise for having an opinion that differs. You have in no way offended me. But your opinion on Ben being a thug is a bit puzzling when your hero was Skerrett who went out every game looking for some one to have a scrap with and we all loved it. Thats why I disagree and think your remark was out of order. But respect your opinion after all it's a forum.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

keptinthedarkfa​ns​ wrote:I to agree no need to apologise for having an opinion that differs. You have in no way offended me. But your opinion on Ben being a thug is a bit puzzling when your hero was Skerrett who went out every game looking for some one to have a scrap with and we all loved it. Thats why I disagree and think your remark was out of order. But respect your opinion after all it's a forum.
I see. I could have phrased that much better. The line I was trying to draw was that I don't recall any competition we lost because of Skerrett's thuggery. I only mentioned that I loved watching him play because someone else mentioned it. I love watching McIllorum play, who is as effectively dirty a player as you will see. I have no problem with dirty players and dirty play, save where it is big man on much smaller man and when it costs the club overall.
Happy to take back "cowardly thug" and rely on the effect on the club of his actions.
Though, as I appear to be in a hole, maybe I should stop digging...