Calderwood exit confirmed

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Calderwood exit confirmed

Post by DaveO »

[quote="Mike]
What is your reasoning that says we won't have any additions in 2009?[/quote]

I am not saying we won't have any additions but if we do get anyone it may well be another bargain basement swoop IMO.

We aren't losing that many players. Higham, Calderwood and TB are the only ones on significant dosh that are leaving.

Everyone else has been re-signed such as Lockers.

We have also given mew deals to McIllorum, Prescott, Goulding and several other young players that must be an enhancement in terms of pay that will eat more into next years cap more than they earn this year.

So I think that we are almost certainly giving pay rises to several players and this has not been spotted.

As I said IL has written in his program notes 2009 he expected one or two signings for next season. One I think was Riddle. Lets say that's Higham's wage gone.

So how's Calderwood's wage going to be spent? On Phelps and the pay rises I mentioned above? I think if we manage to squeeze a few pay rises and Phelps out of his wage we will do well.

So that leaves TB's wage. We have Smith who will probably be cheap (but not free). So that leaves us with the possibility of another experienced player maybe which ties in with IL's "one or two" players assuming he meant experienced good quality players.

Whether dividing up TB's wage we could get more players may be true but would that make us a better side? I am not convinced.

But assuming I am wrong who do you think will make way for the new signing(s)? If O'Carroll gets a deal I can't see us signing a prop. We have Carmont, Goulding and Phelps as centres. Pryce, Richards & Colbon on the wings. TL and TS as half backs and plenty of back row forwards and all these players are contracted for next season.

I'd be happy with one more player of note but I think anyone who is expecting more recruits than that will be disappointed.

Dave
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

MrDave wrote:
shawcross da warrior wrote:i personally cant see who were going to replac calders with who is as fast as him...

he may be a liability sometimes in defence but when he has a decent centre inside of him he is as good as any other winger in super league...
Calderwood might be quick but his speed is not the big advantage it was when he was at Leeds. Injuries and age have been against him so he is defiantly not the fastest in Super League perhaps not even the fastest at Wigan.
Well there is no substitute for pace so who is faster? No one who Noble plays as his in 1st team on the wing IMO and that really is all that matters.

Dave
LORENZO

Post by LORENZO »

We have we got several interesting pages re signings but maybe it is the very nature of our playing style that is at fault.
Why do Stains, Leeds, Catalans, Hull K.R. and yes, even Wakey play open rugby most of the time whilst Wigan are still playing the 'down the middle forward game'
May I even suggest that Barratts departure may be because he just dousn't like our style of play rather than homesickness.
Of course, we will never know. But I think if we were winning things big time rather than having negative score values he would be keener to stay.
We all knew Noble's style when he came to Wigan and may be he was our savior. But was it just a new broom managerial appointment that saved us. I want us to play the modern game. Can Noble deliver?
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

As I mentioned earlier. The current speculation is that Mark Calderwood will join Hull as direct replacement for the retiring (ex-Aussie international) Matt Sing (speculation from the media - not me).

How much is Sing on?

As an ex-Aussie international (on a final pension scheme at Hull) it could be acknowledged that he was not paid "bobbins" to play for them. If he was paid a "reasonable" amount, would it be fair to assume that most (if not all) will be offered to MC? This is relative money that Wigan could not offer (unless you wanted all or most of TB's wage spent on the retention of a winger rarely used by the current coach).
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

butt monkey wrote:As I mentioned earlier. The current speculation is that Mark Calderwood will join Hull as direct replacement for the retiring (ex-Aussie international) Matt Sing (speculation from the media - not me).

How much is Sing on?

As an ex-Aussie international (on a final pension scheme at Hull) it could be acknowledged that he was not paid "bobbins" to play for them. If he was paid a "reasonable" amount, would it be fair to assume that most (if not all) will be offered to MC? This is relative money that Wigan could not offer (unless you wanted all or most of TB's wage spent on the retention of a winger rarely used by the current coach).
I think Sing was 30 when he joined Hull. If Hull paid a fortune for a 30 year old winger all I can say is, come back Mo all is forgiven.

Dave
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

cpwigan wrote: :o You are all arguing and I have not even joined in.

Let's be honest we all want the club to do well but we will and should from time to time disagree how that is progressing and the direction being taken.

I think there is a balance in these forums
True, and that's what makes it interesting! Wouldn't it be a boring place if we all agreed?

The lunatic Left headed by yours truly who fear the worst and that the world is doomed as Leeds and Saints take all out valuables.

The righteous right headed by Nine etc who think utopia is found on the path being taken by IL, JL and Nobby.

Somewhere in the middle and probably nearer the truth is Geoff et al. Don't you hate him for being measured and sensible in his views. :eusa4:
That made me giggle! Accurate though, although I'd put myself on the optimistic side of the middle ground. I always look for positives, when I can. And I still think we're closer to being a good team than most people believe.

I actually hope I am wrong. As I lose and so does everybody else here. However, the day we stop caring and arguing the toss is the days we had when we ended up in division 2
I don't think you can accuse anyone here of not caring; otherwise we wouldn't be here!
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

After watching last nights games between KR and the "Wildcats", have to say I was v impressed with Peter Fox! How long a contract has he at the "Robins"?

More to the point, would KR sell him or is he unsettled in any way? (we could "do" a Real Madrid :lol: :wink: )
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
turf

Post by turf »

Maybe that is where Colbon should play in the 2nd row, and coming off the bench.

It seems to suit him better tha playing on the wing.

Calderwood, well, I don't think he will be missed to be honest, he had a shaky game today from all accounts.

Put Colbon back to the wing!!!!!!! :lol1: :lol1: :lol: :lol: