Calderwood exit confirmed

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Matthew

Calderwood exit confirmed

Post by Matthew »

Not that anyone in the civilised world will be surprised (so there are probably a few scousers that will be shocked...)

http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyleague ... Wigan.html

I think it's a shame as he has never had the service to show what he is really capable of
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
DaveO

Re: Calderwood exit confirmed

Post by DaveO »

I remember at the start of the season IL saying how he was looking forward to seeing a number of our then injured players return to the side and he specifically mentioned Calderwood.

He was clearly looking forward to the prospect of seeing him in the side.

Little did he realise he had employed a coach who would pick a cart horse like Colbon over a recognised flyer who scored tries for fun at Leeds.

Now some may say Calderwood has lost pace but lets not forget this is his first season back after breaking an ankle so this is a poor justification IMO.

He is only 26 and I have no dount Hull will make far better use of him than Noble.

I am very rapidly getting to the stage where I would like Noble to be the next Wigan RLFC employee to be shown the door.

Dave
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

I really do hope this comes back to bite Nobby in the ass, Like Calders or not, he scores try's, he single handedly got us back into that famous come back game against Bradford (not Nobby), Mr Noble your time has come, please pee off :exc:
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Can't see Calderwood getting many more games this year - has Colbon been given a new contract yet? Could it be that we are going to be playing Phelps on the wing in place of Calderwood for the rest of the season?

Fast wingers are an essential part of any successful team - not only should they score when there is no-one between them and the line; but also they chase back when our line is threatened.

If we are going to promote Stanton (who I am told is fast) into the team next season that is one thing - however Colbon looks more like a second row than a wing in every way to me.
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

:sad: IL came on board and one of his big plays was restoring the reputation of Wigan RLFC. Well whilst, our opposition may think we are a 'nicer' club we are certainly going backwards in how we deal with our own players. The treatment of Higham and Calderwood has been a disgrace and has damaged our reputation as a club.

I almost think if this was not sport, Calderwood would have a case for constructive dismissal.

I will remember Calders for his part in the last gap wins over Leeds and Bradford. A player who made a difference when it truly mattered. A player who played for a coach who could not adapt to the players in his squad, who could not utilise his players talents to their max. The most ludicrous being the kick and chase which even a one dimensional coach like Noble should have been able to make use of.
warrior till i die

Post by warrior till i die »

cpwigan wrote: :sad: IL came on board and one of his big plays was restoring the reputation of Wigan RLFC. Well whilst, our opposition may think we are a 'nicer' club we are certainly going backwards in how we deal with our own players. The treatment of Higham and Calderwood has been a disgrace and has damaged our reputation as a club.

I almost think if this was not sport, Calderwood would have a case for constructive dismissal.

I will remember Calders for his part in the last gap wins over Leeds and Bradford. A player who made a difference when it truly mattered. A player who played for a coach who could not adapt to the players in his squad, who could not utilise his players talents to their max. The most ludicrous being the kick and chase which even a one dimensional coach like Noble should have been able to make use of.
I dont really agree with this CP. A couple of reasons really, it has come to the end of Calderwoods contract and because he isn't going to have his contract renewed IL has told him that he is free to negotiate with another club. Personally I don't see what is unlawful in this.

However, I tend to agree to an extent on Higham. He seemed to be forced out with the rumours of Newton earlier on in the season and then with the confirmation of Piggys signing. But that is business and IL is a good business man so therefore he knows who he wants.

But both players have given 100% when they have played for us and I wish them the best in who ever they play for next.
ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may

jim sullivan he was the king
brian mctigueee and jonny ring
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

when eric ashton was alive
with billy boston by his side
dave bolton and billy blan
oh what a time to be a fan!

in 85, at wem ber ley
john ferguson and brett kenny
a team that played the wigan way
and won the challenge cup in may

in 95 we won them all
tuigamala, faz and paul
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

Ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan wrote:
I know exactly what you mean!
I will remember Calders for his part in the last gap wins over Leeds and Bradford. A player who made a difference when it truly mattered.
This is true. I am not sure we have will have a side that is capable of scoring tries like that next season (or the rest of this if Noble persists on dropping him).

One of the best tries I have seen scored this season was Penny's length of the field effort started behind their own line for Wire v Saints in the cup. Now even the Wire fans slag Penny off for all sorts of reasons much like the criticism Calderwood gets form some quarters BUT that try was worth the admission price alone for any fan at that game, Wire or Saints.

What would you rather watch? Tries like that or Colbon electing to cut inside yet again because he hasn't got the pace to beat a man on the outside?

We used to score tries like Penny's and I don't just mean when Offiah was here but with speedy wingers like Mark Preston and others over the years Wigan have always had players like that who could go the length of the field.

Now we don't and it's down to Noble.

Dave
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

I was really happy with Phelps' last try for Wigan against Catalans in the left corner (or right corbner if on tv)... He got his head down and ran for the corner... as said, Colbon would have cut inside.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

warrior till i die wrote:
cpwigan wrote: :sad: IL came on board and one of his big plays was restoring the reputation of Wigan RLFC. Well whilst, our opposition may think we are a 'nicer' club we are certainly going backwards in how we deal with our own players. The treatment of Higham and Calderwood has been a disgrace and has damaged our reputation as a club.

I dont really agree with this CP. A couple of reasons really, it has come to the end of Calderwoods contract and because he isn't going to have his contract renewed IL has told him that he is free to negotiate with another club. Personally I don't see what is unlawful in this.

However, I tend to agree to an extent on Higham. He seemed to be forced out with the rumours of Newton earlier on in the season and then with the confirmation of Piggys signing. But that is business and IL is a good business man so therefore he knows who he wants.

But both players have given 100% when they have played for us and I wish them the best in who ever they play for next.
Warrior. Just to add it would be DW/ML and IL (Wigan RLFC) that would be held legally responsible. Indeed, I guess bar a few ill chosen press quotes both ML and IL simply support decisions taken by Noble. An employment tribunal may argue they should not have done/do so.

In many respects Calderwood has been treated far worse. At least Higham gets selected. Calderwood can play well or badly and he is always the scapegoat. Therefore, his ability to do the job he is employed to do seems to have no influence upon how he is treated by Noble and indeed Noble treats his considerably worse than fellow teammates/employees.

If you or I go to work each day and know that no matter what we do during our working day we will be treated worse than fellow employees who actually may contribute less/be less qualified/less effective then we would have grounds for complaint.

We all knew Mark Calderwood was on the outer a long time ago. Mark Calderwood is not stupid. Imagine how he felt/how motivated he was in being treated in such a negative manner. Would you or I enjoy working under such conditions?
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Well like has already been said we all knew this was coming.

I to be honest am not that fussed, its all well and good saying he will come back to bite us and maybe he will but the fact remains he hasn't done the job at Wigan, and before the tiraid of "well its down to service" comes in well that maybe so but wigan's strengths aren't the same as leeds and saints, we dont play massively expansive rugby anymore and that rightly or wrongly is fact therefore having calders is a luxury in the modern game we cant afford as im sure he didn't come for pitence.

Also re the pace thing i think he had lost a lost of pace and everytime he got the oppurtuntiy down the wing he always cut inside which is something your all critising colbon for.

Further more i dont recall ever seeing him beat the square markers from a scoot more than 5 times the whole time he been at wigan something he's probably do more times that that per game at leeds.

Im not saying he is a bad player by a long shot but he hasn't worked at wigan and that maybe down to the coach or the style of play but it doesn't make it any less a fact! and nobby isn't going anywhere fast.

You cant just keep players because they have played well or could play well for other clubs, yes the bradford game he was brilliant and the leeds game however these are 2 games and much like DV i dont think he has done enough for us to earn that contract extention.

And just some stats for ya:

if you disregard play-off games:

Calderwood scored 6 trys the whole of last season
Colbon (inferior player to most) 6 trys 16 games in to this season.

Same service for each player

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure