A W O L

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Wintergreen

Re: A W O L

Post by Wintergreen »

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's a particulary "nice" thing to have done.

However, before we try to get on the RL high moral ground, it's no different to what RL did for years to RU players.

Whilst the RU players may have had a moral obligation to stay in their code, they didn't have a contractual one.

Solomona is no different.
AncientWarrior

Post by AncientWarrior »

Wintergreen wrote:Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's a particulary "nice" thing to have done.

However, before we try to get on the RL high moral ground, it's no different to what RL did for years to RU players.

Whilst the RU players may have had a moral obligation to stay in their code, they didn't have a contractual one.

He is different. He had a contract. It's not rocket science. Irrespective of what you think of my debating qualifications you can't get behind that fact. It has nothing to do with 'nice' it's the law.
A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success.

jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Wintergreen wrote:Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's a particulary "nice" thing to have done.

Different circumstances when RL went for RU players they were amateur with no contract.Why did we pay a fee then Joel Tomkins when he came back to Wigan reason he was under contract
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

jaws1 wrote:

Different circumstances when RL went for RU players they were amateur with no contract.Why did we pay a fee then Joel Tomkins when he came back to Wigan reason he was under contract
That's fine if you think the issue here is contractual rather than moral.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

AncientWarrior wrote:

He is different. He had a contract. It's not rocket science. Irrespective of what you think of my debating qualifications you can't get behind that fact. It has nothing to do with 'nice' it's the law.
So if that player decided he couldn't play RL but could play another sport, the contract would prevent him doing so?
bill.inger

Post by bill.inger »

[quote

BTW, following your line of reasoning, I'm sure Newcastle will be pleased to learn that they needn't have paid £800,000 for Tuigemala - they could have got him for nowt.[/quote]

Did Wigan receive payment from Richmond for Scott Quinnell in 1996 after the two years he was here or was he out of contract?
These are all points in Castleford favour.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Wintergreen wrote:
jaws1 wrote:

That's fine if you think the issue here is contractual rather than moral.
When it goes to court Moral will mean nothing. Contract will mean everything and the wording in that contract and in Cas T and C
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

robbobillinge wrote:Surely the point here is that Solamona has broken a contract with Castleford. There do not appear to be any mitigating circumstances such as illness, family issues etc. What he has gone to do is irrelevant-it could be stamp collecting! He has agreed to play for Castleford and now he is trying to get out of this agreement.

And btw A Merry Xmas to all on the site especially Josie!
Thank you Merry Christmas ???? ???????? x
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
AncientWarrior

Post by AncientWarrior »

bill.inger wrote:[quote

BTW, following your line of reasoning, I'm sure Newcastle will be pleased to learn that they needn't have paid £800,000 for Tuigemala - they could have got him for nowt.
Did Wigan receive payment from Richmond for Scott Quinnell in 1996 after the two years he was here or was he out of contract?
These are all points in Castleford favour.[/quote]

Richmond paid £200,000 to Wigan for Scott Quinnell. I don't know of any instance where a player still under contract changed code without the selling club receiving a transfer fee. Can you imagine Maurice Lindsay allowing a contracted player to leave Wigan for nothing? I don't think so.
A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success.

Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

23 DEC 2016 AVIVA PREMIERSHIP
N'hampton
Sale Sharks
HT 14-0

Justifies his signing I suppose. They'd have been nilled without him!