A W O L

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Second Row

A W O L

Post by Second Row »

Denny Solomona not returned to Cas ,they are to take legal action seems the Sale rumour might have legs :o
Wigan_forever1985

Re: A W O L

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

read into it what you will but him and Josh Charnley were going round the Xmas markets together - josh put a vid or pic cant remember of the two of them
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

Solomona has been seen several times at Sale Sharks training ground, after not turning up for pre-seen at Cas. Sale have said Denny has retired from Rugby League which means he is free to sign for a Union club as a free agent (avoiding the 300k that Cas priced his transfer at).
Skullduggery of the highest order.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

The booze hound wrote:Solomona has been seen several times at Sale Sharks training ground, after not turning up for pre-seen at Cas. Sale have said Denny has retired from Rugby League which means he is free to sign for a Union club as a free agent (avoiding the 300k that Cas priced his transfer at).
That's an interesting one, it will be interesting to see what the courts make of it. I suspect though that a settlement will be agreed before it gets that far. First a Bosman and now a Solomona!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Leaves a very nasty taste this,i dont normally wish anyone ill but if he has done the dirty on Cas i trust noone will touch him if and when the Sale move blows up in his face.

It sets a precident that RL may never recover from.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

The booze hound wrote:Solomona has been seen several times at Sale Sharks training ground, after not turning up for pre-seen at Cas. Sale have said Denny has retired from Rugby League which means he is free to sign for a Union club as a free agent (avoiding the 300k that Cas priced his transfer at).
Sale could be in the dock as well as having induced a player to break a legally binding contract.

All power to Cas in suing the player (and possibly Sale). It's about time a club stood up to this sort of poaching.

I don't have a problem with players moving on at the end of contracts as Josh did. They have kept their end of the bargain and pre-Bosman where clubs could prevent a player leaving even after his contract was up, well that was just stupid.

However I do expect players to honour contracts and clubs to enforce them. All this about if a player isn't happy it's better to let him leave is a misguided approach. That just puts the player in the mindset they can leave when they like. If contracts are enforced and penalties accrue if players break them then they won't enter into them lightly and won't be looking to move before the end of them.

Wigan_forever1985

Sale have pretty much stuck two fingers up at league in their latest interview, diamond saying there's no regulatory board between the two sports so up yours league

This will set a dangerous precedent if allowed because effectively why would any union team ever pay a fee for a league player
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
jobo

Post by jobo »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:Sale have pretty much stuck two fingers up at league in their latest interview, diamond saying there's no regulatory board between the two sports so up yours league

This will set a dangerous precedent if allowed because effectively why would any union team ever pay a fee for a league player
Unfortunately, Diamond is correct. As he says, if someone wants to switch sports, it's entirely up to them.

Cas will need to sue Solomona, so I suppose it will all come down to the fine print in his contract.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote:Sale have pretty much stuck two fingers up at league in their latest interview, diamond saying there's no regulatory board between the two sports so up yours league

This is the quote:

"Denny Solomona has resigned from playing rugby league and us, and many other clubs, are interested in signing him," Diamond told BBC Sport.

"It is just like someone coming from another sport to rugby union, whether it be football or basketball and I don't understand what the furore is about."

I am sure if one of Sale's players "resigned from RU" to get out of a contract with Sale, Diamond would be creating plenty of "furore".

Interesting choice of words because he knows full well a player being able to resign from Saracens for example to join Sale would be viewed with horror in RU so he has had to say Salomona has resigned from the sport. How do you do that? You aren't contracted to a sport. He could retire but then that probably has its ramifications anyway.

Diamond needs to be careful because if this goes to court and the player is allowed to resign from Cas (not the sport because as I said he isn't employed by the sport) then it would surely mean all contracts for all pro players in all sports are worthless. Rules like a governing body saying you can't just resign from Sale to go to Sarries would surely be trumped by the player's right to terminate his contract at will.

Wigan_forever1985

It's a pivotal moment and cas imo should get help from the rfl to fight the case