Hampshire

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
DaveO

Re: Hampshire

Post by DaveO »

jobo wrote:
IL has been trying to get all of them onto long term contracts but solely on his terms.
You can't do that. It's not a buyers market. As a buyer you have to pay the going rate.

If the Aussies are (for example) offering £100K to the likes of Hampshire then clearly we can't offer £100K salaries to every player of his age and experience.

But we could decide one or two such players were worth the punt!

Offer them five year deals at £30K or £40K or less and there is only going to be one result.

Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

DaveO wrote:
jobo wrote:
IL has been trying to get all of them onto long term contracts but solely on his terms.
You can't do that. It's not a buyers market. As a buyer you have to pay the going rate.

If the Aussies are (for example) offering £100K to the likes of Hampshire then clearly we can't offer £100K salaries to every player of his age and experience.

But we could decide one or two such players were worth the punt!

Offer them five year deals at £30K or £40K or less and there is only going to be one result.
Exactly, and due to there being far more money now in the NRL with far higher TV contracts and Sponsorships, not to mention the lifesyle with the attraction of surfing on Bondi Beach.

Even if we scrapped the Salary Cap tomorrow, we could still not compete with the NRL or even Union here.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

I have heard that Leeds offer their players a contract for an amount of money each month for a period of time after their playing days are over.
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

My thoughts as well so long as he gets game time shame though
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

ddtftf wrote:I have heard that Leeds offer their players a contract for an amount of money each month for a period of time after their playing days are over.
Surely that would be far worse than defering wages if true, then again it is Hetherington so no doubt heads will be turned the other way
markill

Post by markill »

medlocke wrote:
ddtftf wrote:I have heard that Leeds offer their players a contract for an amount of money each month for a period of time after their playing days are over.
Surely that would be far worse than defering wages if true, then again it is Hetherington so no doubt heads will be turned the other way
If they are fulfilling a role at the club which is what they are then supposedly getting payments for then it's more like cap avoidance than cap evasion... Not in the spirit of the cap. Would definitely work with players who have families but never set anything up for themselves immediately after playing, a massive inventive to stick around.
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Hampshires situation regarding contract renewal is nothing to do with money.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

No straw damn us wrote:Hampshires situation regarding contract renewal is nothing to do with money.
What is it to do with then?
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
No straw damn us wrote:Hampshires situation regarding contract renewal is nothing to do with money.
Have a look at Rogues Galleys post on RL fans on the Wigan site under rumours and signings page 471. I don't think he'd far off the mark.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

No straw damn us wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
Have a look at Rogues Galleys post on RL fans on the Wigan site under rumours and signings page 471. I don't think he'd far off the mark.
Without spending time on there, why not tell us?