Re: Should Barrett have the captaincy?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
highland convert

Re: Should Barrett have the captaincy?

Post by highland convert »

How can Barrett be made captain. He plays his own game. Until he blends with the team he will be a highly skilled liability. He was too much the glory boy at cardiff. How many oz wonderboys does it take before we get the message, They will fit in or switch off. Same with Trent wait and see, HC
chrisJJ

Re: Should Barrett have th...

Post by chrisJJ »

Surely removing the captaincy from O'loughlin will break him mentally. He's the captain of a team who's fourth in the league why do people feel it is time for change?

Barrett may not be the captain of the club but on the field he is certainly the captain of the team. He's the one who natters to the ref he's the one who picks the team up in go forward. O'loughlin is the Defense captain and Barrett the Attacking the only reason O'loughlin is classed as the captain is because he is a wigan lad and a hard worker he shows the way and does his best, so why everyone feels his time has come i do not know
To be the best
you have to beat the best
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Make barret captain. He already does a lot of organising and talking whilst on the pitch.
Lockers will have to face the facts, he doesnt talk with the team, doesnt encourage etc. Basically nothing what a captain should do.

I remember against i think it was st helens at jjb. They scored and he had his back to the team whilst they was all talking amongst.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
panthersno1

Post by panthersno1 »

im with chrisjj and i think lockers has improved since he has been captain
Bear

Post by Bear »

I`d say give it to fletcher he is a much better leader. Not barrett he has hardly played
OOOOOO were the greatest club in the world!!!!
Bear

Post by Bear »

panthersno1 posted:
im with chrisjj and i think lockers has improved since he has been captain
How bad must he have been before he was made captain :lol:
OOOOOO were the greatest club in the world!!!!
katie Lou

Post by katie Lou »

nathan_rugby posted:
Make barret captain. He already does a lot of organising and talking whilst on the pitch.
Lockers will have to face the facts, he doesnt talk with the team, doesnt encourage etc. Basically nothing what a captain should do.

I remember against i think it was st helens at jjb. They scored and he had his back to the team whilst they was all talking amongst.
It takes all sorts to be a captain not just plenty of gob. O'Loughlin has improved over the past season and i think he will continue to do so. Also he is a Wigan lad who has been with this team for years. lets not give it to an Austrailian who has only been here five minutes. I'm not putting Barrett down, i think he is invaluable to the team. But leave O'loughlin where he is.
Katie Lou Lou.

Bring on the Carrot Cake!
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

highland convert posted:
How can Barrett be made captain. He plays his own game. Until he blends with the team he will be a highly skilled liability. He was too much the glory boy at cardiff. How many oz wonderboys does it take before we get the message, They will fit in or switch off. Same with Trent wait and see, HC
Lockers should not even be in the squad, he has again given away so many penalties and is not a leader . Get Rid now.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

katie Lou posted:
It takes all sorts to be a captain not just plenty of gob.
That is just an excuse because you know Lockers fails in this respect.
O'Loughlin has improved over the past season and i think he will continue to do so. Also he is a Wigan lad who has been with this team for years. lets not give it to an Austrailian who has only been here five minutes. I'm not putting Barrett down, i think he is invaluable to the team. But leave O'loughlin where he is.
It should not matter where the player comes from or how long he has been here. If he is the best man for the job he should get it. The team comes first.

Barrett has more experience in his little finger than Lockers and that is why Barrett should be captain. He has been there and done it in the toughest competition in the world. It was a mistake by Millward to give the captaincy to a player with so little first grade experience and that still applies now.

Dave
highland convert

Post by highland convert »

Things tend to happen arround Barrett but it is an isolated pocket. The team is bigger than a player. He was bought in for the roll he plays. Because he is good at it does not mean he would make a good captain. I did not see many desenting posts when Millward was hired. On Barrettt here could be a vast difference between playing ability and leadership skills. Good direction at the moment but given the captaincy he may be OTT. He will be history long before Lockers and as someone put it \Lockers is the Wigan boy.