Calderwood must be jealous

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Calderwood must be jealous

Post by DaveO »

The last try tonight was a pleasure to watch. Yes I know they were a beaten side but the break from DV and his pass to Richards was a lovely bit of centre play and something of a rarity for Wigan in recent seasons.

If Calderwood had a proper centre on his side I am sure he would be up there on the try scoring charts.

Dave
yokozuna

Re: Calderwood must be jealous

Post by yokozuna »

Absolutely. As DV made that break I was just saying to my Dad that neither of our centres make any breaks to give the wingers a chance to run into space....

DV needs to go, even if he's having the best season since he's been with us. I think we can do so much better. Same with Bailey.
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
wigan rugby

Re: Calderwood must be jea...

Post by wigan rugby »

If i was noble i would put Bailey to second rower and put goulding at centre then put fletcher on bench and bailey starting or the other way around

and i would put fielden on the bench and start either o'carroll or Prescott?
"We got the best club in all of the world
we got Barrett and Kenny
Edwards and Hanley
Boston and Kevin Irooooooooo
oooooooo ooooooooo ooooooooo"

Watch My Wigan Warriors Video On Youtube And Please Leave A Comment
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6bFqmejJ0_8

sedbergh

Post by sedbergh »

True, it was a good break by DV but set up by the cut out pass from Fletcher. If you get chance to see the replay from end on it shows what a great pass it was. Still, full credit to DV. He ran the right line and set up Pat Richards for his hat trick.
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

wigan rugby posted:
If i was noble i would put Bailey to second rower and put goulding at centre then put fletcher on bench and bailey starting or the other way around

and i would put fielden on the bench and start either o'carroll or Prescott?
i think we saw what happened when fielden was on the bench...doh
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I think last night calderwood had a very understated game, he made a lot of crucial plays and he really is a class act through and through. I dont think giving him gouldin s such a good idea in the long run. I think goulding is going to be a great strike center but what calders needs is a big center that will pull in 2 and give a neat offload out the back givin him space. i think Bailey hasn't got the centers mentality he is a second rower and needs to be moved there next year
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Doug Stand posted:
DaveO posted:
The last try tonight was a pleasure to watch. Yes I know they were a beaten side but the break from DV and his pass to Richards was a lovely bit of centre play and something of a rarity for Wigan in recent seasons.

If Calderwood had a proper centre on his side I am sure he would be up there on the try scoring charts.

Dave
Disagree Calderwood has a class player inside him. Wigans attack simply moves better right to left.

Baily is an outstanding talent.
I don't really see it. He isn't a strike centre in that he scores the tries himself. He isn't a blockbusting centre i.e. all power and I have not seem much evidence of him being a good ball player.

I think he is a 2nd rower masquerading as a centre.
I can't disagree with you more on Bailey though, the ball doesn't come to the right.
It does sometimes and he has not struck me as a wingers centre at all.

He is OK and very good in defence and certainly not a liability in that position but even DV is much more of a centre than Bailey IMO.

Dave
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Doug Stand posted:
Maybe the reason Wigan are not signing an overseas prop for next year is that they are going after a quality centre and Bails to move in the second row. None the less, whoever plays 3 will not see at much ball as he who plays at 4.
If we do sign a centre it will be to replace DV I would have thought. Take your point about the way the ball normally goes which just shows what a waste of a good winger this is.

Dave
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

If we want to win the super league, we are going to have to change our 2 centres.
Ive said it before and ill say it again, what is a winger without a good centre. Now dont get me wrong, the richards try was good, but out of the 3, vialeki set up 1 and that is a rarety.

Look at the partnerships we have seen.
Lyon and ade gardner
hape and volcano
senior and calderwood

Dont get me wrong, bailey has proved a good signing but it is clear he is a 2nd rower covering a centres position. He doesnt look to interact with calderwood.

We need goulding as a centre and need to buy another,
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
shawcross da warrior

Post by shawcross da warrior »

i think we see the best out of bailey when he plays at second row as people have stated put him in the second row and goulding to centre........