Time for Wigan to stand up and fight the cap?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ancientnloyal

Time for Wigan to stand up and fight the cap?

Post by ancientnloyal »

Just a thought. With Uncle Mo repeatedly suggesting that he wants to create the best possible Wigan team, and all the furore over rugby union pinching players (Ashton, Pryce...) due to a restricted salary, is it time for wigan to stand up and fight the cap?

Surely restricting wages is damaging to the game as top players will simply decide to play with Julian and his boy friends in Oz or in England? I would like to see the Wigan club fight against the cap as I believe it has done it's job since its' introduction as teams are surely capable of happily managing their finances (not like wigan pre-super league), a respected fan base for income etc etc...

Abolish the cap and let the RFL have a differing role in player signings for each team.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
fitzy

Re: Time for Wigan to stand up...

Post by fitzy »

If we did decide to stand up against the cap I don't think we would be the only one's
cpwigan

Re: Time for Wigan to stan...

Post by cpwigan »

The cap has achieved nothing. It must go.

In 1990 we were minutes from wining the ashes. Now, we are 3rd best, also rans
madmags

Post by madmags »

I think it is time to fight the cap.
We will be on our own though. Can you see anyone else joining Wigan?
fitzy

Post by fitzy »

can't see team's joining wigan (maybe bradford or leeds) but most of the team's in SL would be happy if the cap went.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The irony is the 'smaller' clubs believe the cap helps them BUT in reality it has done nothing of the sort. Moreover, in this day and age with so many money rich foreigners around, the lesser clubs could attract an investor far more readily. They will never do so whilst the cap exists.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

St Helens would be with Wigan in my view because if Wigan go it alone, we get best players (£££££) and St helens would no way allow this to happen... although they may suggest something slightly different not to allow Wigan to have such a large advantage over them (in terms of money). The smaller clubs would see years of hard work (salford, even hull/ huddersfield etc...) go to waste from building up decent enough playoff sides under the cap to be replaced with unlimited spending potentially and losing out to the richer clubs. Thats why the RFL should have some sort of 'role' to stop the dominance yet allow freedom of payments to some extent.

Hetherington of Leeds will be a Yak because he's anti-everything when it comes to Wigan.

Although I started this thread I still wish Wigan would stick to the current rules, although I hate them personally.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Alex the Warrior

Re: Time for Wigan to stand up...

Post by Alex the Warrior »

I have hated this from the start. Well, maybe not the 50% of income limit, but all the nonsense that has followed - £1.8m and the reductions that have followed, 20/20 rulings and so on.

It may make the competition closer, (from 4th to 12th but not the top 3) but standards are dropping. You cannot improve a sport by reducing the quality of the players involved in it.

Can you imagine in football if Man Utd were only allowed or spend the same on wages next season as Derby County? Firstly, they would be blown out of the water when playing teams from abroad (see the posters point about GB v Oz above) and, secondly, the lawyers would blow it out of the water at the first hearing.

I don't understand how Dave Whelan can threaten legal action against the FA (when he had no legal case), threaten action against the police over the size of policing costs for the football, yet not take action against SL for a ruling with no legal sunstance to it.
From Mission Impossible (1991) to The Great Escape (2006)
fitzy

Post by fitzy »

good point cp no club's will look good to foriegen investors not even the bigger club's (wigan sh brads leeds)will good to them while the cap is there take the cap away and it is a totally diffrent situation
Lazy J

Post by Lazy J »

It is not time to "scrap the cap" (i do like the sound of that)it does its job, the problem is it has been manipulated by the lowest common denominator, the cap was brought in to stop clubs going bust and appart from lahndan ( who have always been different) it has worked.

It needs to be linked to income, and that way will motivate teams to try and generate cash and market the club, at the moment any team can spend 1.6 million no matter how much revenue they generate, so if you are a big club with lots of income you are locked to the spending of a smaller club, it does not reflect real life.

There are 10 types of people, those who get binary and those who dont!