Assesment of tonight

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
warrior till i die

Assesment of tonight

Post by warrior till i die »

Well tonight was a very important game for us and although we were obviously not at our best I was pretty impressed with the character of the team who could of easily folded when huddersfield went 8-6 up half way through the first half.
Richards- He really impressed me tonight and made some impressive one on one tackles especially the one which put the huddersfield winger in touch 8/10
Calderwood- Again very strong in defence but I thought he seemed a bit weary under the high ball tonight 6/10
Goulding- I was really impressed with this lad and he is becoming a real star in the making. He will be in the gb squad in a couble of years. He is very good in attack and strong in defence 8/10
Vaeliki- Overall another decent perfonance from dv nothing special but solid. 7/10
Colborn- This lad is also another who I feel has the ability to make the gb team very soon. A very strong winger with plenty speed who had another solid game tonight. 7/10
Barrett- Trent done some very very good things again as usual. He runs the team and put to beautiful kicks in which led to trys. 8/10
Leuleui- Tommy doesnt look as though he has things going his way at the minute and that shown with some of the kicks which he done. 6/10
Feka- Solid game some good yards and seemed to be on the pitch longer than usual. 7/10
Higham- I thought micky was class tonight he was instrumental in most ov the best phrases of play which we had. 8/10
Fletcher- Done well at prop and personally I wish he was staying next year 7/10
Bailey- He shown today that he is a second rower very good in defence and makes good yards. 7/10
Hock- The lad needs a rest he is putting too much effort in at the minute and it is currently not coming off for him. 5/10
Lockers- Immense in defence as usual starting to link well with barrett and leuleui. 7/10

Millard- I thought he was pretty solid nothing special though. 6/10
Fielden- Again solid. Does alot of work and seemed to make more yards than usual today. I think the start of the bench done him well. 7/10
Prescott- Good solid game but I prefer O'Carroll. 6/10
Hansen- This year I feel he has been our unsung hero very good in defence and good in attack. 6/10

Personally to improve I think we need to start thinking about our plays more and to stay composed. We also need to defend our line more strongly off the scrum base as huddersfields second try was very very easy.
ancient and loyal upon my chest
they are men of wigans best
a team that playyyyyyed the wigan way
and won the championship in may

jim sullivan he was the king
brian mctigueee and jonny ring
a team that playyyyyed the wigan way

when eric ashton was alive
with billy boston by his side
dave bolton and billy blan
oh what a time to be a fan!

in 85, at wem ber ley
john ferguson and brett kenny
a team that played the wigan way
and won the challenge cup in may

in 95 we won them all
tuigamala, faz and paul

Ancient and loyal upon my chest
and won the championship in may.
DaveO

Re: Assesment of tonight

Post by DaveO »

warrior till i die posted:
Well tonight was a very important game for us and although we were obviously not at our best I was pretty impressed with the character of the team who could of easily folded when huddersfield went 8-6 up half way through the first half.
Err...you might want to edit that. The half time score was 14-6 to Wigan. Hudds were never in the lead at any point during the game.

Dave
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

If I don't mention anyone its because I agree with your rating.

Calderwood- Again very strong in defence but I thought he seemed a bit weary under the high ball tonight 6/10
Deserves a 7/10 IMO. His defence saved us on a couple of occasions.
Goulding- I was really impressed with this lad and he is becoming a real star in the making. He will be in the gb squad in a couble of years. He is very good in attack and strong in defence 8/10
Made a couple of errors to drag this down to 7/10 for me.
Leuleui- Tommy doesnt look as though he has things going his way at the minute and that shown with some of the kicks which he done. 6/10
I thought he was very poor to be honest. 3/10.
Hock- The lad needs a rest he is putting too much effort in at the minute and it is currently not coming off for him. 5/10
I think he was one of the few players who could make a break. Yes his ball retention is poor but if you are handing out 7/10 for some of the other players Hock deserves at least a 6.
Lockers- Immense in defence as usual starting to link well with barrett and leuleui. 7/10
I have seen him play better. 6/10

Putting in a few good tackles is not enough from a hooker. 3/10.

Fielden- Again solid. Does alot of work and seemed to make more yards than usual today. I think the start of the bench done him well. 7/10
He got pushed back far too often by running in far too upright. 6/10 and I am being generous.
Hansen- This year I feel he has been our unsung hero very good in defence and good in attack. 6/10
7/10 for me. Made some very intelligent runs and I agree a bit of an unsung hero.

Personally to improve I think we need to start thinking about our plays more and to stay composed. We also need to defend our line more strongly off the scrum base as huddersfields second try was very very easy.
I think we need some zest in the attack. TL is offering little to nothing. Put Millard on and bang goes anything from AHB.

So if we finally give up on Millard at least our attack will have second string to its bow because at the moment it relies 100% on TB.

I also think the pack formation we played tonight will run for the rest of the season and that it is the best we have got.

We may make the playoffs but won't trouble the finalists with this squad.

Dave
sedbergh

Post by sedbergh »

Goulding didn't have the best of games and got caught out for both the Giants' tries, also made a couple of mistakes with the ball. Still, I agree with you that he looks like he could be a good player and we must be patient with the young players. It's a big step up from the under 21's and they are still learning.
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

Goulding was tosh!

Out flanked by 2 back rowers for both trys.

A long way to go and definately behind DV/Bailey in the selection stakes at centre.
The King

Post by The King »

Doveoverdave posted:
Goulding was tosh!

Out flanked by 2 back rowers for both trys.

A long way to go and definately behind DV/Bailey in the selection stakes at centre.
Rubbish. The first try was his fault, the second one wasnt. The second try Goulding stayed with his man as he was supposed too and the inside man (Barrett) didnt slide accross. It was Barretts faults. Oh I forgot no one can blame Barrett can they and they have to blame someone else.

Also its not like I have never seen anyone go round Vaeleki or Bailey like that is it. Oh no. There have been numerous tries scored against them in exactly the same situation. Indeed in the second half they ripped Vaeleki to shreds and made three clean breaks, which should have been tries, down that wing.
Doveoverdave

Post by Doveoverdave »

The second try Goulding stayed with his man
And tackled no-one as well as leaving a huge gap!

And bythe way how did Hudds get possession, was it a Goulding knock on?
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

yes
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
warrior till i die

Post by warrior till i die »

Gouldings a young lad so therefore is expected to make a few mistakes, he will learn! You cant get on the back of him for missing one tackle. Did he make the majority of them? yes. Hes a very solid lad in defence and attack and is currently our best centre IMO.

Next weeks team I would drop hock and let him get his head straight. Bring back McIllorum and bring O carroll in. I would also continue with fielden of the bench.

1.Richards
2.Calderwood
3.Goulding
4.Vaeliki
5.Colborn
6.Barrett
7.LeuLeui
8.Feka
9.Higham
10.Fletcher
11.Bailey
12.Hansen
13.Lockers

14.McIllorum
15.Prescott
16.O'Carroll
17.Fielden
ancient and loyal upon my chest

jim sullivan he was the king
brian mctigueee and jonny ring

when eric ashton was alive
with billy boston by his side
dave bolton and billy blan
oh what a time to be a fan!

in 85, at wem ber ley
john ferguson and brett kenny
a team that played the wigan way
and won the challenge cup in may

in 95 we won them all
tuigamala, faz and paul

Ancient and loyal upon my chest
and won the championship in may.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

DaveO posted:
If I don't mention anyone its because I agree with your rating.

Deserves a 7/10 IMO. His defence saved us on a couple of occasions.
Made a couple of errors to drag this down to 7/10 for me.
I thought he was very poor to be honest. 3/10.
I think he was one of the few players who could make a break. Yes his ball retention is poor but if you are handing out 7/10 for some of the other players Hock deserves at least a 6.
I have seen him play better. 6/10

Putting in a few good tackles is not enough from a hooker. 3/10.

He got pushed back far too often by running in far too upright. 6/10 and I am being generous.
7/10 for me. Made some very intelligent runs and I agree a bit of an unsung hero.

I think we need some zest in the attack. TL is offering little to nothing. Put Millard on and bang goes anything from AHB.

So if we finally give up on Millard at least our attack will have second string to its bow because at the moment it relies 100% on TB.

I also think the pack formation we played tonight will run for the rest of the season and that it is the best we have got.

We may make the playoffs but won't trouble the finalists with this squad.

Dave
Pretty close to my ratings.
I dropped Fletcher a couple of points for all those first half knock-ons, though.
I agree about Goulding; had a good game overall, but the missed tackle on Wild and the knock-on that led to their second try drop him down.
I thought Bailey clearly showed that he's a better second row than he is a centre (as we've been saying all season!).