Quality Players

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
mikeyt

Quality Players

Post by mikeyt »

Does anyone else think that our standard of expectation has dropped significantly regarding players?
We are being linked with the likes of Coley, David Hodgeson and Fitzpatrik from salford and some people are also talking about Warrington rejects.
Now i know we cant go out and buy all the worlds best any more but surely we should be looking higher up the scale than this.
Look at who our rivals are signing: King to warrington, buderus to Hull etc All world class and potential match winners on their own.

With our aspirations so low we are nothing more than a mid table team. :(
FROM A TO B

Re: Quality Players

Post by FROM A TO B »

There is a slight glitch, it's called the salary cap.
you can't have a squad of world class players anymore, so have to find a fine balance between pure class, good players and up and coming youth prospect.
Until the RFL get their act together, we will lose more players to kick and clap, as we can't afford to pay a decent "short term" wage.
I see 3 simple solutions.
1. Raise the cap to 2 million or 50% of income (whichever is the greatest). That way if a club does a good job of bringing in supporters, they get rewarded by having more to spend on players.
2. Allow a percentage increase in funds if you are under the oveseas quota (meaning you can pay more for UK talent).
3. If a player has come through the clubs academy and signs for the same club, then they should be exempt from the cap until 21.

For mine (argh Stevoism), point 3 is the most valid, as those clubs that have a good academy infrastrucure will prosper whilst those that leech off other clubs will suffer.

See, it's easy really :)
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

FROM A TO B posted:
you can't have a squad of world class players anymore, so have to find a fine balance between pure class, good players and up and coming youth prospect.
Until the RFL get their act together, we will lose more players to kick and clap, as we can't afford to pay a decent "short term" wage.
1. Raise the cap to 2 million or 50% of income (whichever is the greatest). That way if a club does a good job of bringing in supporters, they get rewarded by having more to spend on players.
2. Allow a percentage increase in funds if you are under the oveseas quota (meaning you can pay more for UK talent).
3. If a player has come through the clubs academy and signs for the same club, then they should be exempt from the cap until 21.

For mine (argh Stevoism), point 3 is the most valid, as those clubs that have a good academy infrastrucure will prosper whilst those that leech off other clubs will suffer.

Sounds great and is logical, but we are both Wigan fans and it would suit Wigan down to the ground.

However, it would not suit the other teams in SL who would see us and probably leeds benefiting at every other clubs expense. So it would probably get voted out by all the smaller SL clubs.

But it gets my vote :)
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
standishwarrior

Post by standishwarrior »

FROM A TO B posted:

with fletch vialiki maybe millard going, and withers and ashton already gone plus with the credit thing from the rfl surely there is enough of the cap available to buy better quality players than the ones we have been linked with? i dont see how re signing hodgson or bringing in fitzpatrick and coley will improve the squad?
adrenalinxx

Post by adrenalinxx »

I've said it before and I will say it again......its all about signing the right players for the team. Just because a team buys some of the best players doesn't mean they will play well when they get there, like DV, Fielden etc.

I would much rather buy some random player from Wakefield or Warrington who does the job well then buy some superstars who does nothing.
standishwarrior

adrenalinxx posted:
I've said it before and I will say it again......its all about signing the right players for the team. Just because a team buys some of the best players doesn't mean they will play well when they get there, like DV, Fielden etc.

I would much rather buy some random player from Wakefield or Warrington who does the job well then buy some superstars who does nothing.

id sooner buy a player that is gonna come in and improve the team! the players we have been linked with coley, fitzpatrick and david hogdson imo wont improve the squad atall
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

FROM A TO B posted:
I agree but I think the point is being made that we are lacking in the "pure class" department. Only Trent fits the bill at the moment with Fielden off form and then....

I think even with the salary cap you can have more than a couple of genuine quality class players. Don't forget the bulk of the salary cap must be divided between only 20 players.

Dave

standishwarrior

DaveO posted:
FROM A TO B posted:
I agree but I think the point is being made that we are lacking in the "pure class" department. Only Trent fits the bill at the moment with Fielden off form and then....

I think even with the salary cap you can have more than a couple of genuine quality class players. Don't forget the bulk of the salary cap must be divided between only 20 players.

Dave

as iv said dave with fletch going poss dv and millard along with withers and ashton already gone theres gonna be alot of the salery cap freed up so surely the money is there to bring in afew quality players or at least better quality then the ones we have been linked with?
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

standishwarrior posted:
as iv said dave with fletch going poss dv and millard along with withers and ashton already gone theres gonna be alot of the salery cap freed up so surely the money is there to bring in afew quality players or at least better quality then the ones we have been linked with?
You can only sign what is available, may be the takeover has hampered prospective signings and the best available have already moved on.

In this case, we should not sign for signings sake. Yes, create competition for first teams spots, but not at the expense of the full Salary Cap.

It is noticeable, the players linked (backs), are not exactly slouches in the speed department nor (in the case of Henry Fa'ifili, big and direct.
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

If we get into the situation of pleading for NRL clubs to release players on our behalf. They will come on (IMO) inflated wages, negotiated by their managers - knowing full well, Wigan's desperation for new, quality players. We would be back to square one.
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!