Friday Night

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Conroy9

Friday Night

Post by Conroy9 »

I thought we were unlucky on Friday night and against any other side would have won. I'm confident we'll beat Widnes on Sunday and a good cup run will give the boys a huge boost. Grab say three wins and confidence will be sky high for the trip to KR. Beat Leeds and it'll be HUGE
DaNnY jOnEs

Re: Friday Night

Post by DaNnY jOnEs »

as i was at the stadium i havnt had the chance to watch the game on telly yet but i hav 2 dissagree wiv u i dnt think we wud ov beat any of "the big 4" with that performence. i was quite impressed with danny orr but i think robinson played crap. He wud run across the defence and step creating a gap but instead ov running at it or putting someone through it he tried anouther step allowing the bradford defence to catch up with him. He needs some lessons from lammy. On the whole the fowards played well i waqs impressed by pongia and hock. apart from the first 10 15 minutes we wernt really in the game.
if you hate St.Helens clap your hands!
Conroy9

Post by Conroy9 »

I would have been there but for a prior engagement. Still think we looked good.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

Conroy9 posted:
I would have been there but for a prior engagement. Still think we looked good.
They say the camera never lies, unfortunately it sounds like it did in this case. I've not heard anyone who was there, supporters or from the club, have much positive to say. True, there was some attempt at movement from time-to-time, and at other times there was good old "one out" rugby that gets us 5 yards every set of 6, but there was no real penetration and hardly any breaks. We definitely would have lost to Leeds and Stains playing like that, and possibly some of the others as well. But as I say elsewhere it will be used as a benchmark for improvement during the season. Thankfully we don't suffer Gerard Houllier syndrome where the coach praises the players no matter how cr@p they've played, Mike Gregory will make sure things get better.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
Ellie from the Block!

Post by Ellie from the Block! »

I have to agree, Danny Orr was quite impressive and was one of a small number who deserved praise for Friday.
As for Robinson, I remain unimpressed most times I watch him play. Is he over rated or is he just a player that I don't like (we all have one of those) so I remain quite critical? I can't decide. Don't get me wrong, I am not comparing him to Lam as their styles are totally different... I just think he's not good enough for Wigan.
(I hear you all going bonkers at my criticism as I type!)
Welski

Post by Welski »

He obviously has some ability as he demonstrated in flashes last season. Maybe he is just feeling the pressure a little now he is one season down the line. Give him a few games and maybe he will settle down and stop 'trying too hard'. (Lets hope so!)
Strongest Armpits in Rugby League
the grinch

Post by the grinch »

i think its a bit harsh to single out robinson no wigan player realy did themselves justice. against bradford there was a lot of mistakes made even rads who normaly is 100% reliable was wrong footed but im not going to rip in! the whole squad needs some time on the pitch. if we had played salford widnes then bradford im sure we would have given them a much better game.
dont let your victories go to your head or your failures go to your heart
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

Fraggle posted:
They say the camera never lies, unfortunately it sounds like it did in this case. I've not heard anyone who was there, supporters or from the club, have much positive to say.
Its strange that, you must get a completely different feel when you're at a match cause i came home a 'little bit' angry with the team but me mum and dad who watched it on sky saw a lot more positives to it, and it was the same last year with bradford in the challenge cup semi, we all came home feelin proud of the lads and how far they'd got and thought we coulda have won that match but my mate who didnt go said we looked ****. Maybe it depends on the atmosphere, it was very quiet at times on Friday. Dont like odsal or headingley.
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

MrsLam posted:
Its strange that, you must get a completely different feel when you're at a match cause i came home a 'little bit' angry with the team but me mum and dad who watched it on sky saw a lot more positives to it, and it was the same last year with bradford in the challenge cup semi, we all came home feelin proud of the lads and how far they'd got and thought we coulda have won that match but my mate who didnt go said we looked ****. Maybe it depends on the atmosphere, it was very quiet at times on Friday. Dont like odsal or headingley.
I've heard this before as well, my parents have Sky and they get a different impression from me when I'm at games. The atmosphere must play a part, everyone making everyone else feel good or bad, whereas the TV is a bit solitary and you don't get a proper feel of the general mood.

Odsal was rather quiet, but I suppose with the bitter cold, frustration from seeing us cough up the ball so often, and seeing Bradford run away with things in the 2nd half people were bound to be less enthusiastic than usual. I'm sure it will be different when we go back in August, the weather at least should be better. Headingley is my favourite away ground, followed by Odsal. I know lots of people like the Safari Park but it's a complete dump, and places like MacAlpine leave me totally bored.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]