The fans have a squad number!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Nine

The fans have a squad number!

Post by Nine »

I think this is a great idea! :)
The Wigan faithful have been awarded No.18.
Joe Lydon, who proposed the dedicated number said: "This is a new practice for clubs because we recognise the extra special support which loyal fans can provide to their team in both good and bad times.

"I look forward to many Wigan fans wearing the 18 shirt with pride."
Coach Brian Noble said: "Wigan fans have been fantastic, particularly in recent years.
"Their loyal support never ceases to amaze me and as a team we felt it important to recognise their special role.

"They are Wigan's '18th man' at every game – both home and away – and fully deserve their squad number.
"It is a huge thank you from us to them."

SQUAD NUMBERS: 1, Richard Mathers; 2, Mark Calderwood; 3, Darrell Goulding; 4, George Carmont; 5, Pat Richards; 6, Trent Barrett; 7, Thomas Leuluai; 8, Stuart Fielden; 9, Mickey Higham; 10, Iafeta Palea'aesina; 11, Gareth Hock; 12, Phil Bailey; 13, Sean O'Loughlin; 14, Liam Colbon; 15, Andy Coley; 16, Harrison Hansen; 17, Michael McIlorum; 18, Wigan Warriors fans; 19, Paul Prescott; 20, Spare; 21, Spare; 22, Joel Tomkins; 23, Ben Kavanagh; 24, Eamon O'Carroll; 25, Thomas Coyle; 26, Nicky Stanton; 27, Lee Mossop; 28, Mark Flanagan; 29, Sam Tomkins
Squad number 18!
luke_robinsons_angel

Re: The fans have a squad numb...

Post by luke_robinsons_angel »

2 tomkins? that will get confusing
Saints are just wiganers who haven't fully evolved

RIP Mike Gregory, one of lifes real legends.
pieaddict

Re: The fans have a squad ...

Post by pieaddict »

This may take us over the cap. No 18. The average wage is about 20000 and if we sell 9000 season tickets thats 180000000 to find on the salary cap. Im sure the RFL will make a rule for this especially and deduct 24 points from us.
Nine

Post by Nine »

Nobby`s Girl posted:
Cool. This is great idea for the fans! I feel special with my own number in the Wigan team!

18 it is! :)

Thankx Lydon and Nobby :)
How did they know it was just my age, too?! :wink: :lol:
Squad number 18!
dawbz

Post by dawbz »

I wonder who is going to have shirts 20 and 21 ?.
doc

Post by doc »

Wasn't 21 to be left unassigned in rememberance of Billy Joe Edwards?
shawcross da warrior

Post by shawcross da warrior »

great idea ...

adrenalinxx

Post by adrenalinxx »

doc posted:
Wasn't 21 to be left unassigned in rememberance of Billy Joe Edwards?
I don't think it is, Danny Hill was 21 last season so its more likely it just left vacant because he has gone to Widnes. If I remember correctly the RFL don't allow clubs to 'retire' certain numbers anyway. I also don't think Wigan would retire just one shirt since Craig Johnson also lost his life in tragic accident.
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

This is a brilliant idea, both from an inclusion of the Fans point and from a promotion of shirt sales view. Fantastic, can't wait to have my name on a Wigan Shirt!
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

luke_robinsons_ angel posted:
2 tomkins? that will get confusing
It will with two players called Spare as well. Where did we sign them from? :wink:

Dave