Re: Wigan 20, Salford 10

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester »

Anybody know what the penalty count was ? :conf:
Yes I Ate All The Pies !!!!
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Salford 1000 [10]
Wigan 0 [5]

Smith is useless. Both teams held down after the tackle, we were penalised they weren't. There were many dubious 'square' passes from Salford, only once did we get the shout and that seemed to be him listening to the East Stand. There was one occassion when I thought Hock went in high and Smith said it was shoulder height. There were poor decisions for both sides, however, I feel we were more hard done by, especially with offsides.
kirky

Post by kirky »

As from BBC Online:
"Wigan coach Mike Gregory criticised referee Ian Smith after he gave a 10 to five penalty count against his players."

Man and ball, man and ball!
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

See the related story for Mike gregory's reaction to the referee (not a positive one! :angry: )
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
wolftown warrior

Post by wolftown warrior »

anyone at the game can see the greivences are relevent.. i`m not one to harp at the ref.. but we were held down all day & so on & so forth..

salford played well , they didn`t need the help from the ref..
but we got the 2 points.. that is all that matters..

i am entitled to agree with the above post.. regarding our ball handling & just BASIC football... pongia was guilty of three drops.. & danny S to.. i will allow danny some slack cos he ALWAYS looks to offload..
need to sort out the basics.. impressed with o` loughlin AGAIN.. & we got the win.. leeds next.. ( no pressure)!
ellery

Post by ellery »

Sorry we looked clueless. Too much one man rugby whilst Salford looked to pass and had dummy runners. Why buy Danny Orr for his kicking game only to have Newton kick it into their arms on the last tackle. We also need to kick at goal when we get kickable penalties.It's no good having quick taps and losing the ball on the third drive. O'loughlin and Brown are the only young players who seem to have kicked on from last year, though Smith and Robinson are trying hard. Hock needs to calm down and not try to monster opposite forwards illegally. Lets hope Lam and Faz hurry back soon. We need their organisational abilities, otherwise I fear the worse!
Alex the Warrior

Post by Alex the Warrior »

An awfully one eyed refereeing display. I'd have sworn that is was nearer 15 penalties to Salford. Four times we were penalised for not being square, but not once for Salford despite being frequent offenders. Plenty of holding down in the tackle and being offside too. That was a farce with the grounding decision. If he can't see from bang in front what is the touch judge going to say to help him? As for the 10 yards backwards knock on decision. Unbelievable.

Ian Smith was the worst man on the pitch, which is saying something given our display today.
From Mission Impossible (1991) to The Great Escape (2006)
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Alex the Warrior posted:
That was a farce with the grounding decision. If he can't see from bang in front what is the touch judge going to say to help him? As for the 10 yards backwards knock on decision. Unbelievable.
Is that the Newton grounding? From where I was stood it was blatently obvious he had dropped it but seemed to require additional assistance. Like he did for each try at the South end. I don't think their first try should have stood.

Another thing I noticed about Salford was that on a few occassions they seemed to go to ground before we had touched them. Did anyone else notice a few voluntary tackles?
warriors

Post by warriors »

The ref was bad, also Wigan was. The way that they was playing..... Was just not like them. They need their players back.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

ellery posted:
Sorry we looked clueless. Too much one man rugby whilst Salford looked to pass and had dummy runners. Why buy Danny Orr for his kicking game only to have Newton kick it into their arms on the last tackle. We also need to kick at goal when we get kickable penalties.It's no good having quick taps and losing the ball on the third drive.
We also need to cut down the errors. That was probably the worst handling display I've ever seen from a Wigan team. I remember a game about 3-4 years ago at Halifax where a torrential downpour had turned the pitch into a mudbath, but despite everything our handling was unbelievable that day. There'd be no repeat of that with this team. Robinson as MoM was a strange decision, he was hardly inspiring. There were few kicks for our wingers to chase, not that Dallas could chase much - well done to the rest of the lads for disguising the fact he could barely walk let alone run. I hope the injury isn't serious. It wasn't good to watch, and unless things improve we'll get hammered by Leeds. Well done to Salford, they came to spoil the play-the-ball, got away with it, but some of their passing was great to watch, our players should have been taking note. Lots of offloads and support, but that should have been us not them!
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]