Wigan will be great in 2008

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
jimofwigan

Wigan will be great in 2008

Post by jimofwigan »

Just a gut feeling
:) :eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa3: :eusa3:
ancientnloyal

Re: Wigan will be great in 200...

Post by ancientnloyal »

'Great' is such a strong word.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Cruncher

Re: Wigan will be great in...

Post by Cruncher »

We can certainly be good (note I say 'good' not 'great'), but I feel it depends on us having luck with injuries.

The advantages we have on last year: we've got a settled halfback pairing; we've got more strike-players in the backs; our youngsters are another year older and wiser; we've got a slightly broader squad; we theoretically shouldn't have the worry of a points deduction hanging over us (though if the worst should happen, at least we can't be relegated); we've got an extra solid prop in Coley; with the removal of Millard and Withers from the team, our average player's age has gone down dramatically - we don't look like Dad's Army any more; Stuart Fielden, who now looks to have a more settled home life, has another big opportunity to show the world how good a player he is.

The disadvantages: Fletcher is gone - the guy was a workhorse and a skilled ball-handler; Feka is facing an uncertain time as we approach his court case, and if it's the wrong result, I feel we'll lose him - this may also affect TL a little, as having to give evidence in court can be nerve-wracking; both Mark Calderwood and Richie Mathers will be coming off serious injuries, and we may not see either in action for the first month; Karl Pryce, though a powerhouse, has not played for a year, and will definitely be rusty; by Ian Lenagan's own admission, this team is not the finished article - he was surprised by the little cash he had available on taking over, and though he's spent it well, he's already warned us that he doesn't think we'll be a major force until 2009.

Despite those latter concerns, it all pans out pretty evenly. Man for man I think we're at least as good, if not better than Catalan, Quins, Castleford, Wakey, Hudds and Hull, while on paper we're probably not as good as Wire or Hull KR, though both of those teams are full of new faces and whether they'll gel is another question. As usual, I feel that Saints, Leeds and Bradford are ahead of us (though not as much as they may think, and I strongly fancy the unreinforced Saints to be a waning star this season).

Still however, a shed-load of injuries could tip the balance drastically. Let's hope we stay lucky.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I agree with everything you say until the last paragraph. Having seen Bradford's squad, there is very little wow quality about it. Harris is on his last legs and they have lost Vainikolo, Peacock and Fielden in the last few years without replacing them with similar quality players. They have a squad long on average ability - Tadulala, Jeffries, Lynch etc and short on stars - Burgess, Hape and from time to time Solomona are all good.
I wonder about Saints, as they have a lot of miles on the clock. I think that they are vulnerable whenever either Cayless or Fozzard is injured or off form, as their success entirely depends on momentum. Graham just doesn't offer the same threat when he starts... they look vulnerable to me.
Leeds look very very good, and could lap everyone if their youngsters develop and they stay fit.
Wire is a drinking club and so can be discounted (even Leigh beat them), certainly as long as Cullen is there.
You see something in Hull KR's squad I don't. Webster was hopeless this year and we got the better returnee from the dark side in Pryce.
Hull FC could be as good as us - they have good young players and Berrigan hasn't played 15 tests for Australia without being a special player. Now they have got over losing Cooke, I could see thenm going well.
So my head tells me that the order should be Leeds, Saints (just), Wigan/Hull FC and then Bradford...
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Cruncher posted:
We can certainly be good (note I say 'good' not 'great'), but I feel it depends on us having luck with injuries.

The advantages we have on last year: we've got a settled halfback pairing; we've got more strike-players in the backs; our youngsters are another year older and wiser; we've got a slightly broader squad; we theoretically shouldn't have the worry of a points deduction hanging over us (though if the worst should happen, at least we can't be relegated); we've got an extra solid prop in Coley; with the removal of Millard and Withers from the team, our average player's age has gone down dramatically - we don't look like Dad's Army any more; Stuart Fielden, who now looks to have a more settled home life, has another big opportunity to show the world how good a player he is.

The disadvantages: Fletcher is gone - the guy was a workhorse and a skilled ball-handler; Feka is facing an uncertain time as we approach his court case, and if it's the wrong result, I feel we'll lose him - this may also affect TL a little, as having to give evidence in court can be nerve-wracking; both Mark Calderwood and Richie Mathers will be coming off serious injuries, and we may not see either in action for the first month; Karl Pryce, though a powerhouse, has not played for a year, and will definitely be rusty; by Ian Lenagan's own admission, this team is not the finished article - he was surprised by the little cash he had available on taking over, and though he's spent it well, he's already warned us that he doesn't think we'll be a major force until 2009.

Despite those latter concerns, it all pans out pretty evenly. Man for man I think we're at least as good, if not better than Catalan, Quins, Castleford, Wakey, Hudds and Hull, while on paper we're probably not as good as Wire or Hull KR, though both of those teams are full of new faces and whether they'll gel is another question. As usual, I feel that Saints, Leeds and Bradford are ahead of us (though not as much as they may think, and I strongly fancy the unreinforced Saints to be a waning star this season).

Still however, a shed-load of injuries could tip the balance drastically. Let's hope we stay lucky.
Personally, I think Hull FC will be the dark horse team to watch this season. Youth with good quality experience.
right cross

Post by right cross »

imo i think this years super league will the best yet ,because the pressure is of ,relaxed players on the whole have better games ,so bring it on can't wait :)
Bear

Post by Bear »

2008 year of the warrior
OOOOOO were the greatest club in the world!!!!
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

Bear posted:
2008 year of the warrior
actually its the year of the RAT means the sts have a good chance again :wink: :lol:
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
WxmWarrior

Post by WxmWarrior »

1976 - Year of the Dragon.....and when I popped into the world!
"[img]http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/7545 ... orsxt9.jpg[/img]"

"...try the veal, I'm here all week.."

waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

i,ve seen the film but i don't remember you in it :lol: