Team Selection - Wild in - Tickle out ?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
JUKESAYS

Team Selection - Wild in - Tickle out ?

Post by JUKESAYS »

Good to see some of the more experienced guys back in but cant help feeling a little disappointed that Tickle has been left on the bench.I am probably one of the few who wasnt impressed by Wilds performance on Friday and I would have preffered to have seen o`Loughlin at Centre with Tickle in the 2nd Row. A few reasons behind this are that Wakefield are a BIG side and we need to be hitting them hard early on & with 2 guys in the 2nd row who havent played for nearly 5 months i Feel its a bit of a risk to ask them both to be mixing it straight from the off. The second & main reason is that I am not impressed at all by Wild.Before anyone starts going on about the 2 tries Friday I would just like to explain myself.I maybe stretching the point a bit here but we have another Simon Haughton on our hands and until Wild starts standing up to the big boys in the middle of the field then I dont see a place anywhere in the pack or on the bench.As far as centre is concerened,NO WAY. One characteristic of Wild is ball in hands ok,Defensively (Not just one on one) but in general play Lazy!
At least 2 tries on Friday could have been avoided if he had stayed switched on or given tht second effort mentioned above.This is not just Friday this has been a part of his play since day one.
Any Comments. [quote]
mario

Re: Team Selection - Wild in -...

Post by mario »

think your being a bit hard on stephen wild myself and as for the 2 guys in the 2nd row that havn't played for 5 months. well they're not just any 2 guys are they? i think also gregory might be thinking of the moral of the team just having cass and faz in the starting line up and the impact that tickle and hock will have when they come on against a hopefully weary wakefield.
Linzi

Post by Linzi »

Oh for goodness sake. What does Stephen Wild have to do to get people off his back?? He had a bad injury last year and now hardly any one (apart from Mike Gregory) will give him a chance. You say he had a bad game against Leeds. He is a second rower and had been training all week at second row, only for Melling to go off injured and for him to be put in, in the centres. He did however score two tries in that match, making the score look respectable for us, but people dont see that, they just want to get on his back. I know that you say that it wasnt just the Leeds match but maybe people being on his back isnt helping his confidence.
LuKe RoBiNsOn Iz FiNe 'N' tHe BeSt !!

Post by LuKe RoBiNsOn Iz FiNe 'N' tHe BeSt !! »

just give him a chance hes a good player is everyone gling tonight??
i am lol luv mexx
MrsLam

Re: Team Selection - Wild ...

Post by MrsLam »

Im not having a go at him that much...but he didnt do much last night. He was standing still when he got the ball and with the size of him, you'd think he'd be able to use a little more power in his drives forward.
Maybe hes just taking it easy for now so he doesnt get another injury, I hope thats it anyway. :conf:
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

You're dead right Mrs Farrell some people are very quick to pick on the players bad points and not very quick to give them credit. You look at the players that do little wrong and they don't get a mention, for example, Aspinwall is near faultless, young player and so vital to Wigan. Robinson and Orr connected well on a few occassions last night. Brett had a few runs where in past weeks he seems to have held back a little. As Greg pointed out, the tackling was better and we did very well not to conceed a try last night. Cassidy and Farrell brought a bit of beef to the team and a few hard hits got the team (and the crowd) fired up. I think last night was the best atmosphere we've had so far this season. All in all a good basis to build upon.
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

I agree with you about the atmosphere. Thats the first match Ive properly enjoyed this season and not just because we won. And I dont belive that there were only 9 thousand people there, there are times when they say we got 12 000 on and it just doesnt look it but last night it looked a little bit fuller (is that a word) than 9000. My dad stayed in and listened to it on GMR though and said you could only hear the wakefield fans which is a bit frustrating since my voice is still hurting from singing and shouting non stop.
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

We always joke about the attendance being created by the randon number generator. You can never guess it right to the nearest 1000 so god knows what goes on on those turnstiles, think some people are squeezing through the bars.
wigan_babe_13

Post by wigan_babe_13 »

I think that Wildy plays a lot better in his natural position of second-row where he can get stuck in a bit more. I think he is a bit hesitant in the centres and he sometimes can't decide whether to run himself or pass to his winger and it leaves him a bit slow and makes him look lazy...even though he is far from it! I think we would see a better Wildy if he is given a regular spot in the second-row. I would pick the following team for Huddfersfield:

Rads
Aspi
Locky (far better in the centres than at loose!)
Brown
Dallas
Orr
Robinson
C.Smith
Tez N
Pongia
Cass
Wildy
Faz

Hock
Tez O
Tickle
M.Smith
hock20mmmm

Post by hock20mmmm »

was cass put on report on friday? has anybody heard anythin?
wigan_4eva13@hotmail.com

70-0

the saints experience