Russel Smith...

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
robjoenz

Russel Smith...

Post by robjoenz »

I know this will get a few replies after the game tonight.

He is terrible isn't he, as was Silverwood last week, and there are reports that Klein (not sure of spelling) was at Saints-Widnes last week. They're getting worse and Cummings is doing absolutely nothing about it. He was on Wish FM with evening on phone in and all he did was say how refereeing is harder than it used to be. I can go with that, but is consistency for each team too much to ask.
  • Last week Silverwood went to the screen for all but one of our tries, fair enough if they weren't sure. So why not goto the screen for Leeds ones that looked a bit dodgy?
    Tonight he let them get away with holding down in the tackle, fair enough didn't make a lot of difference cos they were all behind the ball anyway. 30 seconds later we conceed a penalty for the same thing.
I am trying not to fall into the trap of saying Wigan are being victimised but it's getting very difficult!

There were some other pieces of decision making I wasn't too happy about. The first is Robinsons try, well disallowed try. I couldn't tell properly from the East Stand whether he did knock on or not, but my first thought was he kicked it. However, Smith went to his assistant he seemed ok after a little chat, then he consulted the second one and he seemed fine too, then he decided to disallow it. Rediculous in my opinion. There was also a tackle on Dallas when he was in the air when (I think) Brown scored a try. We did have the advantage but he could have at least had a word about it.
Dorsey

Re: Russel Smith...

Post by Dorsey »

I don't usually mind RS but he was so one sided tonight, how many times did we get penalised for high shots only for our guys to have far worse done to them and play be waved on. After he disallowed the third try I was expecting a shake of the head every time after that and you're dead right the ingoal judge was nodding his head and then he suddenly decides to disallow it. Strange game altogether and just glad to be in the hat come Tuesday. Some very dodgy passing tonight - we aint going to get away with that much longer.
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

Yeah, you're right about the high shots, their no. 25 with big hair went in a bit high on a few occassions and for Faz to get angry enough to fight there must have been something bad. Although I am concerned with a few tackles we put in, particularly Pongia, don't get me wrong he's been a revolution with the forwards last season but last few games he has gone in a bit high and hard, quite a few swinging arms, he needs to be careful.
(I hope Cummings isnt reading this else he might review his play, haha)

Also agree about the dodgy passing, but seemed to be better after the break. I think Greg must have been encouraging them to offload more often, but it seems they try and offload on every tackle, even when they don't seem to be looking for a player. There were two great runs from Orr, he seemed to dummy their defence with a change in pace before he rocketed off, and have to say Luke linked up well with him to set them both up. He's had a lot of stick lately and tonight there were 5 or 6 blokes behind me slagging him off all game, I was getting so fed up with it. Give the lad a break, give him a chance!

Well... Faz and Cassidy are back now, can't expect things to change overnight. Few more weeks, get Faz fully fit and we'll be right. Then others will filter back into the team and we'll get on a winning roll.
Dorsey

Post by Dorsey »

Totally agree with you about Pongia I had quite a bit to say about him when Uncle Mo first signed him but have taken it all back and I think he's great now but we don't want any more incidents like the Danny S business - we've got few enough to go at as it is, similarly with Craig and his running style though I do think the media and the likes of Stevo over emphasise certain "habits" of players un-necessarily sometimes.
Forgot to mention the pass of the night as well :doz: when Brett Dallas made that great break only to pass the ball to the ref at the end of it :o Feel sorry for Dallas he gets stick sometimes but the guy just doesn't get given the ball enough most of the time
mario

Post by mario »

I think Bret needs one his full length tries for a bit of confidence then we might see a bit of his old self. after that run were he passed to Russell Smith he copped a few high tackles.I'ts amzing how many high tackles that he has recieved in the past that have gone unpunished!
nextdoor

Post by nextdoor »

robjoenz posted:
I know this will get a few replies after the game tonight.

He is terrible isn't he, as was Silverwood last week, and there are reports that Klein (not sure of spelling) was at Saints-Widnes last week. They're getting worse and Cummings is doing absolutely nothing about it. He was on Wish FM with evening on phone in and all he did was say how refereeing is harder than it used to be. I can go with that, but is consistency for each team too much to ask.
  • Last week Silverwood went to the screen for all but one of our tries, fair enough if they weren't sure. So why not goto the screen for Leeds ones that looked a bit dodgy?
    Tonight he let them get away with holding down in the tackle, fair enough didn't make a lot of difference cos they were all behind the ball anyway. 30 seconds later we conceed a penalty for the same thing.
I am trying not to fall into the trap of saying Wigan are being victimised but it's getting very difficult!

There were some other pieces of decision making I wasn't too happy about. The first is Robinsons try, well disallowed try. I couldn't tell properly from the East Stand whether he did knock on or not, but my first thought was he kicked it. However, Smith went to his assistant he seemed ok after a little chat, then he consulted the second one and he seemed fine too, then he decided to disallow it. Rediculous in my opinion. There was also a tackle on Dallas when he was in the air when (I think) Brown scored a try. We did have the advantage but he could have at least had a word about it.
Russell had an outstanding game in controlling the pace of the game ,playing advantage as much as possible .His decisions were correct and were backed up by both linesmen. The disappointing thing was the play by wigan ,passing the ball to no one.they let wakefield off load too much in the first half and didnt cope well with their kicking game.At least we wernt playing Stains this week or it would have been embarassing for us.Wigan seemed slow at the play of the ball and lacked any real pace ,lets hope we improve on that perfomance.More runs were made across the field than up the pitch.Andy`s return wasnt very convincing only going into tackles half heartedly ,may be he isnt ready and let the side down with lack of discipline.
mario

Post by mario »

wigan did'nt play well last night ,but how you can say Russell Smith had a good game i don't know! Did you listen to it on the radio? Rob was right about the disallowed Robinson try,the touch judges OKed it then he disallowed it anyway! might have been the right decision,but he certainly did'nt have a clue what he was doing. he missed forward passes and knock ons both ways and gave penaties for messing about at the play of the ball one way.
wolftown warrior

Post by wolftown warrior »

ref was terribe.. no point in saying other wise...
it got to the point where nearly everyone in the crowd around where we were sitting, was getting irrate at every desision.. the robbo try.. looked ok from where i was.. but he was right under the stick..

the disallowed try in the corner.. aspinwall i think.. he dropped the ball before he touched down.. so that was right.. but his general play was not good.. i agree he tried to let the game flow at points.. but most players didn`t know whether they should play on or it was a penalty..

our defence was great.. tackle hard all game i thought.. but again we never even threatened there try line till 29 mins were played... & the passing first half was atrocious( spelling!) but like was pointed out above.. were in the hat for the semi`s.. thankfully...
still don`t know why we are having trouble with the basics???? whatever were doing on the trainin field.. it nees to be adressed pretty quickly. otherwise everytime we play a decent team were gonna get punished..

good to see faz & cass back.. cass seemed a little more rusty than andy.. & i don`t care how many % fit he was every time he took the ball he made 8-10 yards with 3 wildcats on him..

felt bad for dallas.. he got some stick for that pass to smith.. u can laugh now.. but at the time.. it wasn`t funny!! LOL also made some DODGY passes.. & the last try. were we had the break.i think it ws robbo.. decided to kick it over the top when all he had to do was pass it..!!! LOL oh... but we still scored somehow!!
1 last point.. thought the kicking game was improved last night more than i had seen all year.. well weighted & usually in the gaps... better
Alex the Warrior

Post by Alex the Warrior »

I'm getting paranoid about referees now. We have been caned in the penalty count in every match this season. Their first score sums it up. A penalty for landing on a player who hasn't been tackled and a second one for a head shot that I didn't see and was certainly no worse than ones we took. Was it Tickle who was prevented from tackling by being smacked in the mush?

The Robinson knock on decision was at least one he got right. Viewing from the East Stand, I didn't even get out of my seat for that one.

First half abysmal - no need to say more really, but Gregory is right about the defence - they only got near our line twice all game.
From Mission Impossible (1991) to The Great Escape (2006)
warriors

Post by warriors »

For the last two games the ref has bin a total w**k**. They must have something against wigan. But asleast we won so their is a good thing. Hopefully off to cardiff.

I agree the diffence was alot better. I will give all the credit to 'sean'. His tackles was excellent. The whole time was excellent.

THeir is only one thing that i thought that let them. They didnt really pass that much. An when they passed they kept it in the centre. They should of pssed it out to the wing.